Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better draft coverage Espn or the NFL Network?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better draft coverage Espn or the NFL Network?

Personally, I felt the NFL Network coverage was far superior than ESPN this year. I felt the NFL Network was way more knowlegable about players and the process as a whole. As the draft progressed I really felt like ESPN was just guessing on some of the picks. I think McShay is the worst ESPN has to offer. Kiper is slipping too. We all know the names of the round one guys but, round 4 thru 7 just as important. ESPN just didn't know what was up or down.

At first thought, I was thinking that ESPN would qualify as the more flashy/entertaining, while NFLN would be more in-depth/knowledgable. I didn't watch ESPN myself, but in another thread people were saying that ESPN spent Sunday talking about the 1st round & Mark Sanchez. We all know how ESPN chooses to obsess over the big-name teams/players and that's the reason I chose to spend 99% of my viewing time on NFLN.

I think that NFLN has better video reserves. I got to see 30-40 seconds of clips on my team's 4th round WR. By the end of the draft, Rich Eisen was bragging about the video vaults, and asked fans to e-mail in names, to see if fans could find a player they didn't have a highlight reel for. Took 2-3 tries to eventually get the full-back from a no-name school, but I'm impressed. Mayock knew who he was though, which is impressive.

By the way, nothing is better after spending 6 hours watching the draft, then the giant-heads on NFLN. If you haven't seen it, you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy14 View Post
      At first thought, I was thinking that ESPN would qualify as the more flashy/entertaining, while NFLN would be more in-depth/knowledgable. I didn't watch ESPN myself, but in another thread people were saying that ESPN spent Sunday talking about the 1st round & Mark Sanchez. We all know how ESPN chooses to obsess over the big-name teams/players and that's the reason I chose to spend 99% of my viewing time on NFLN.

I think that NFLN has better video reserves. I got to see 30-40 seconds of clips on my team's 4th round WR. By the end of the draft, Rich Eisen was bragging about the video vaults, and asked fans to e-mail in names, to see if fans could find a player they didn't have a highlight reel for. Took 2-3 tries to eventually get the full-back from a no-name school, but I'm impressed. Mayock knew who he was though, which is impressive.

By the way, nothing is better after spending 6 hours watching the draft, then the giant-heads on NFLN. If you haven't seen it, you have to.

hey Sarf I like your new username. :/
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I watched both. It was about the same. Both were meh. Both networks over did the Sanchez story. I'm draft burned out.

By the way, I'm not looking forward to next year's draft. Mayock is in love with Tebow, and as soon as the draft was over both Kiper and McShay brought up Bradford. I can just imagine the Tebow, Bradford and McCoy hoopla that's going to be shoved down out throats. It's going to be nauseating.

Comment

NFLN ftw..

More knowledgeable and respected people chiming in.

NFLN had Jon Gruden, Charley Casserly, and Mike Lombari giving analysis throughout the day, all 3 of which have sat in numerous war rooms.

I also prefer Mayock and Davis to Kiper and McShay... Mostly because McShay is a turd.

I can't stand Berman, Key, or Cris Carter..

Overall though, ESPN has nothing to offer. They have ex-players giving analysis but their ex players weren't as good as NFLN's ex players and they ESPN has no former GM's (Casserly and Lombardi) or former coaches (Gruden and Billick) because Ditka's old ass doesn't count.

Comment

I had NFLN on the computer and ESPN on the tv and NFLN was better. ESPN needed to allot more time for Kiper to break down picks.

Comment

I watched some of both and I thought the NFL Network did a much better job. The second day ESPN spent at least half the time I watched it talking about first-round picks and completely ignoring the players getting selected. Then after minutes of discussing who was a better first round pick, they would show a list of the last 3-5 players selected with a couple sentences for each. NFLN went a lot more in depth with the players getting selected and had a lot more to offer IMO. The only thing ESPN had on NFLN was that it looked better set up on the TV. What I mean by that is that the bottom information and stuff like that. It just looked nicer on ESPN than NFLN, but I will take NFLN's knowledge and in-depth analysis over that.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Sirius NFL Radio beats them both

Comment

In everyone's defense this is one of the most random drafts I have seen in years, maybe since the 90's.

That said, I found the ESPN coverage to be more focused on telling jokes and stories on certain players than actually covering each pick as they should. Each pick should be discussed in a 30 second blast promo after they are picked, thus allowing less wise fans to get to know their new rookies.

I Don't have NFL Network and I REALLY MISS IT.

Comment

NFLN>ESPN all the time, in everything...I hate ESPN, hate McShay, only time I watch is when I'm somewhere that doesn't have NFLN and I'm forced to watch it.

Still don't understand why NFLN isn't on more local networks with how popular it's getting.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

NFLN.

Funny heads. Enough said lol.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
                      too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

I flipped between them since I did enjoy the NFL Network's coverage, but at least ESPN actually told you the picks during the commercials...

Follow Me on Twitter!
                        https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                          I flipped between them since I did enjoy the NFL Network's coverage, but at least ESPN actually told you the picks during the commercials...
                          Yeah, that got really annoying on NFLN. I mostly watched NFLN since I can't stand some of the ESPN guys. Think both could significantly improve their coverage of the draft.

ESPN needs to give Kiper more time and pay more attention to day 2 selections, while NFLN should really adopt a format more like ESPN's for the background. Showing the order, flipping through the teams and who they have selected, showing a best available, etc. Plus showing picks during commercials. My personal opinion at least.

It's frustrating to watch when you know both networks could do a much better job even with what they have, but better than nothing I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                            Yea, NFL Network got rid of their bottom line thingy when they went to commercial.

Did anyone see the Big Head thing on NFL Network, that was hilarious. Every single analyst looked like Clint Howard.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

All the big heads were so funny. Except for Jamie Dukes.

Jon Gruden looked exactly like Bevis.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information