2010 DT Class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 DT Class

early signs are that the DT class will be deep with top talent. how would you rank the following DT prospects?

Gerald McCoy
    Demarcus Granger
    Mount Cody
    Ndamukong Suh
    Vince Oghobaase

Theres some really good looking underclassmen too. Marvin Austin is a freak.

Comment

From what I've seen so far, Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh are 1a and 1b to me. I like both of them. I like Oghobaase a lot as well and think he's kind of underrated at this point, but I expect his stock to rise in the coming season. Although I hope it doesn't rise too much because I woudn't mind the Titans being able to pair him with Marks and then be able to kick out Jason Jones to LE. That would be flippin' sweet.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

Geno Atkins should be a first or second rounder next year. Jeff Owens was going to be a likely first day pick before tearing his knee up in the first quarter of the first game last year. If he makes a full recovery he might still be a first day pick. UGA's third DT Kade Weston might be a second day pick. Weston has good size and was a top recruit coming out of High School, but hasn't really played up to his billing so far.

Comment

1. Gerald McCoy
          2. Ndamukong Suh
          3. Vince Oghobaase
          4. Mount Cody
          5. Demarcus Granger

That's just the ranking of the five you posted. Vox mentioned Austin, and yes the kid has some big time potential, but he has to start showing that potential before he considers going to the NFL. Arthur Jones is another beast that's worth mentioning, and Boo Robinson is my favorite NT prospect, not Cody.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

I'd probably say from that list:
            1-McCoy
            2-Suh
            3-Cody
            4-Ogghobaase
            5-Granger
            Last edited by Todd Bertuzzi; 04-30-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Arthur Jones anyone?

Comment

Is Oklahoma really that great? 6 or so possible first rounders and top 2 DTs?

Comment

1)McCoy
                  2)Suh
                  3)Cody

Comment

I have to wonder how fast McCoy is, because he kind of reminds me of Reggie White a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                      Is Oklahoma really that great? 6 or so possible first rounders and top 2 DTs?
                      Sadly they are, they had 4 or 5, maybe 6 first rounders that returned to school, as well as some other guys coming out...McCoy was probably a top 10 pick this past year, but Granger is really underrated and could be an even better pro.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

From a post of mine a few months ago:

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: 6-4, 295 lbs. Explosive first step, incredibly quick off the snap and very athletic. A disruptive prescence in the backfield. Would have been a first rounder if he had come out this season. Pro comparison; Kevin Williams.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: The 6-4, 305 pounder was arguably the most productive DT in college football this past season with 76 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 19 TFL and 2 ints. Suh can play the run and the pass very well. Very athletic for someone his size he returned those two interceptions for touchdowns this past season. Suh is very active and always around the ball. Probably would have been a first rounder if had come out this year as well.

Terrence Cody, Alabama: At 6-5 365 lbs Cody is a beast inside. Very strong and powerful he is far from a finished product however. Needs to lose at least 20lbs, hit the weights and add lean muscle and improve his stamina and endurance. Could be a Ted Washington type at the next level.

Vince Oghobaase, Duke: The 6-6, 310 pounder occupies multiple blockers routinely and has the motor and athleticism to make plays in the backfield as well. 51 tackles, 9 TFL and 6 sacks this past season despite having teams focus on him. A former highly touted recruit from Texas who chose to take the nondescript route and sign with a non-football powerhouse, I think he's another first rounder in 2010.

Arthur Jones, Syracuse: At about 6-4, 295 lbs Jones looks like he would be a good fit as an end in a 3-4 as well. Has a tendency to absolutely dominate in some games then disappear in others. 60 tackles and 13 TFL in 2008 after racking up 17.5 TFL as a soph in 2007. Very quick and athletic his inconsistancy needs to be worked on but he could soar up draft charts with a strong year.

Jared Odrick, Penn State: Another good fit for a 3-4, Odrick has a nice all around skill set and his progression from each year has been impressive.

Geno Atkins, Georgia: Atkins is short and can be pushed around in the run game but he's very quick and can penetrate as well as anyone not named McCoy.

Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma: Not quite the prospect as his teammate McCoy but Granger is good as well. A little bit more stout than McCoy, Granger's motor runs hot and cold though. Still very athletic for his size. OU tends to pump out some good DTs through the years.

Jeff Owens, Georgia: A little bigger and better against the run than Atkins but not quite as quick or disruptive. Coming off a season ending injury but has great physical tools.

Boo Robinson, Wake Forest: The 6-2, 325 pound fireplug was the unsung hero of the Demon Deacons strong defense this past year. In his second year as a full time starter he put up 41 tackles, 3 sacks and 2 fumbles recovered and occupied blockers so that Aaron Curry and Stanley Arnoux could fly to the ball. After Cody, he is probably the top 3-4 NT prospect for next season.

*Marvin Austin, North Carolina: One of the top prep prospects a couple years ago, Austin has shown flashes of brilliance. One of the fastest and most athletic 300 pounders I have ever seen. If he plays up to his measurables the top 10 of the draft is within his reach.

*Brian Price, UCLA: Short and stout but uses tremendous leverage and a deceptive first step to collapse the pocket and make plays in the backfield. He might not test as well as some of the others on this list but this kid just knows how to play. 14 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks this season and he's still 19 years old! Think of a poor man's Sedrick Ellis.

*Lawrence Marsh, Florida: It seems like the Gators are loaded with young talent at every position. Marsh is the best DT and really emerged this past year into a leader on the team. The 6-5, 305 pound tackle is an athletic speciman and is really starting to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaching staff who see a very bright future for him.

*Drake Nevis, LSU: This is more of a projection pick but I feel that Nevis is on the verge of a breakout year. The 6-1, 288 pounder showed promise with 5.5 TFL in a rotational role this past season and should be ready for even bigger things in 2009. The Tigers have a history of molding stout interior linemen into All-SEC performers like Anthony McFarland, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams and Glenn Dorsey. Nevis could be next in line.

*denotes someone who will be a true underclassman for the 2010 draft (Didn't count McCoy because he'll be 4 years out of high school)
                        10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Originally posted by Solomon View Post
                          From a post of mine a few months ago:

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: 6-4, 295 lbs. Explosive first step, incredibly quick off the snap and very athletic. A disruptive prescence in the backfield. Would have been a first rounder if he had come out this season. Pro comparison; Kevin Williams.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: The 6-4, 305 pounder was arguably the most productive DT in college football this past season with 76 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 19 TFL and 2 ints. Suh can play the run and the pass very well. Very athletic for someone his size he returned those two interceptions for touchdowns this past season. Suh is very active and always around the ball. Probably would have been a first rounder if had come out this year as well.

Terrence Cody, Alabama: At 6-5 365 lbs Cody is a beast inside. Very strong and powerful he is far from a finished product however. Needs to lose at least 20lbs, hit the weights and add lean muscle and improve his stamina and endurance. Could be a Ted Washington type at the next level.

Vince Oghobaase, Duke: The 6-6, 310 pounder occupies multiple blockers routinely and has the motor and athleticism to make plays in the backfield as well. 51 tackles, 9 TFL and 6 sacks this past season despite having teams focus on him. A former highly touted recruit from Texas who chose to take the nondescript route and sign with a non-football powerhouse, I think he's another first rounder in 2010.

Arthur Jones, Syracuse: At about 6-4, 295 lbs Jones looks like he would be a good fit as an end in a 3-4 as well. Has a tendency to absolutely dominate in some games then disappear in others. 60 tackles and 13 TFL in 2008 after racking up 17.5 TFL as a soph in 2007. Very quick and athletic his inconsistancy needs to be worked on but he could soar up draft charts with a strong year.

Jared Odrick, Penn State: Another good fit for a 3-4, Odrick has a nice all around skill set and his progression from each year has been impressive.

Geno Atkins, Georgia: Atkins is short and can be pushed around in the run game but he's very quick and can penetrate as well as anyone not named McCoy.

Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma: Not quite the prospect as his teammate McCoy but Granger is good as well. A little bit more stout than McCoy, Granger's motor runs hot and cold though. Still very athletic for his size. OU tends to pump out some good DTs through the years.

Jeff Owens, Georgia: A little bigger and better against the run than Atkins but not quite as quick or disruptive. Coming off a season ending injury but has great physical tools.

Boo Robinson, Wake Forest: The 6-2, 325 pound fireplug was the unsung hero of the Demon Deacons strong defense this past year. In his second year as a full time starter he put up 41 tackles, 3 sacks and 2 fumbles recovered and occupied blockers so that Aaron Curry and Stanley Arnoux could fly to the ball. After Cody, he is probably the top 3-4 NT prospect for next season.

*Marvin Austin, North Carolina: One of the top prep prospects a couple years ago, Austin has shown flashes of brilliance. One of the fastest and most athletic 300 pounders I have ever seen. If he plays up to his measurables the top 10 of the draft is within his reach.

*Brian Price, UCLA: Short and stout but uses tremendous leverage and a deceptive first step to collapse the pocket and make plays in the backfield. He might not test as well as some of the others on this list but this kid just knows how to play. 14 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks this season and he's still 19 years old! Think of a poor man's Sedrick Ellis.

*Lawrence Marsh, Florida: It seems like the Gators are loaded with young talent at every position. Marsh is the best DT and really emerged this past year into a leader on the team. The 6-5, 305 pound tackle is an athletic speciman and is really starting to gain the confidence of his teammates and coaching staff who see a very bright future for him.

*Drake Nevis, LSU: This is more of a projection pick but I feel that Nevis is on the verge of a breakout year. The 6-1, 288 pounder showed promise with 5.5 TFL in a rotational role this past season and should be ready for even bigger things in 2009. The Tigers have a history of molding stout interior linemen into All-SEC performers like Anthony McFarland, Claude Wroten, Kyle Williams and Glenn Dorsey. Nevis could be next in line.

*denotes someone who will be a true underclassman for the 2010 draft (Didn't count McCoy because he'll be 4 years out of high school)
                          Solid write-up. But two names to add to this list:
                          -Dan Williams, Tennessee: 6'2 310, A little undersized. Good at penetrating and collapsing the pocket. Makes plenty of plays in the backfield. Will be playing more of a nose tackle type of role this season for Tennessee.

-Al Woods, LSU: 6'5 325, Hasn't accomplished a whole lot on the field yet, but his size and potential alone will get him drafted. If he shows improvement this season, could work himself into the mid-rounds.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

Boo Robinson says hi.

Comment

Look out for Malcolm Sheppard from Arkansas. He played UT a bit undersized last year at 277lbs and managed to pick up 7 sacks and 16TFL. He's up to 290lbs now and should shoot up drafts boards with a decent season. Think Day One pick who could get into the 2nd round with a very good season.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information