2010 Defensive Tackles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Defensive Tackles

This 2010 DT draft class might just be the best ever. There are four guys who could potentially go in the top 10.

Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh figure to be great in the NFL and have proven their worth in the college ranks. McCoy had a fantastic season and looks like a great UT in the making (10 TFL and 6.5 sacks, named to the all American 2nd team). Suh had an even better season and looks like a prototype 4-3 NT at 6'4" and 305+ pounds. Suh had 76 tackles, 16.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks in 2008. But even more impressive was his two interceptions, both of which were returned for touchdowns and two blocked kicks. Both players had a coming out party in their bowl games, Gerald McCoy was a huge reason why the Oklahoma offensive line looked awful and he even intercepted a Tim Tebow pass. Suh was the main reason why that Nebraska defense held Clemson's highly esteemed running game to a combined 5 yards (CJ Spiller with 5 and James Davis with 0). The reason I group these two together is because right now these guys are #1 and #2 and if you put one above the other there is really no arguing that point because they are neck and neck.

Then there is Terrence Cody who is just a monstrous NT. At 6'5" and 360+ pounds he is the biggest DT to come out in a while. He has potential to be a top 10 pick but he has to prove he can keep his weight off, he isn't lazy and he is mature. He is a guy who doesn't get in any trouble off the field and by all accounts is a gentle giant but on the field he is just a monster. At 6'5" and 360 pounds he is obviously a big time run stuffer but what you don't realize is that Cody has the athleticism to dunk a basketball and move with the quickness of a DT that is 6'3" and 300 pounds. Cody is a freak and he even plays the goaline RB and FB from time to time.

After that there is another freak talent in Marvin Austin. This guy is a former top recruit who hasn't lived up to his hype but the ability is there. Austin is an extremely quick UT with 4.8-4.9 speed and he is listed at about 300 pounds but I would guess he is bigger than that . He just screams Al Davis pick (no offense to you Raiders fans). If Austin can put up some good numbers than he might be picked above all three of the previously mentioned tackles.

After that there is EVEN MORE depth in players like Lawrence Marsh (Florida), Arthur Jones (Syracuse), Vince Oghobaase (Duke) and Jared Odrick (Penn St.).

Then there are players who are first round talents but might have other issues.

Geno Atkins is strictly a UT and during his sophomore season he racked up 7.5 sacks and 15 tackles for a loss. When Jeff Owens left for the season he struggled but his athletic ability and sophomore season leaves some with hope that he can regain his status as a top DT and make himself into a 1st round pick.

There is the aforementioned Jeff Owens who was looking like a first round lock before tearing his ACL in the season opener. He is a freak. The athleticism of a UT and the strength of a NT. He is rumored to have a 4.9 40 yard dash and he has put up 525 pounds in the bench press before. Some might compare him to Philadelphia Eagles NT Broderick Bunkley who has similar attributes at 6'3" and 304 pounds with 5.04 speed and 44 bench press reps of 225 pounds.

There is Gerald McCoys sidekick in DeMarcus Granger who for a while was the better prospect. Granger looks like a 4-3 NT or UT. At 6'3" and 300 pounds he looks like a UT but he has put on weight in the past. As a freshman he weighed 350 pounds. He was arrested for shoplifting and he was injured for nearly all of last season so you might have to look at his sophomore year to see how good he is. During his sophomore year he had 3.5 sacks and 8.5 tackles for a loss. He was a top recruit out of high school:

Rated the No. 11 player in the country (ESPN.com), No. 1 DT in the country (ESPN.com), No. 6 overall (CollegeFootballNews.com), No. 2 DT overall (CollegeFootballNews.com), No. 11 player in the country (Rivals.com), No. 3 player in Texas (Rivals.com), No. 9 player in the country (Scout.com) and No. 5 player in Texas (Scout.com)

Then there is Boo Robinson who might just go in round 1 next April. Robinson is not quite as athletic as BJ Raji but he is the closest thing in this draft. Boo Robinson looks like a NT at 6'3" and nearly 330 pounds but like BJ Raji he can penetrate the line, making 5 sacks last season and racking up 6 TFL. He is closer to Raji than he is to being Ron Brace.

AND THEN!! There is Al Woods who has loads of potential and looks like a NFL DT right now at 6'5" and nearly 320 pounds. He comes from a program with a great pedigree and he has all the tools. If he can perform now that he is not sharing time with anybody else he will be a first round pick.

Dan Williams out of Tennessee is nothing to scoff at either. Williams looks like a 4-3 NT at 6'3" and 310 pounds. Williams is a guy who is battle tested in the SEC and he goes against NFL caliber blocker week in and week out. Williams has long arms and he has a low center of gravity. Williams' strength is stopping the run. With a bench press currently at 500 pounds and a 40 time of 5.21, he can be an effective run-stopper at the next level as well. For a guy who's strength is stuffing the run he isn't half bad at rushing the passer collecting 8.5 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks last season. Also he will be working with one of the best coaches ever in Monte Kiffin so he will be ready for the NFL.

The amount of talent is incredible. I didn't even account for Mike Williams (Pittsburgh), Alan-Michael Cash (NC State), Charles Alexander (LSU), Averell Spicer (USC) and Ekom Udofia of Stanford.

Safe to say that if you need a DT, you can get one in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Terrance Cody is going to be drafted two rounds after Vince Oghobaase. The titty-bum will not work in the NFL like it does the SEC.

Comment

I agree this DT class makes me horny. However, come on Hero, Cody as of right now is not a finished project, there's a lot of talent underneath that flab. He could work out very nicely as a space eater.

Comment

Looks great for the Vikings, who will definitely need to get a DT to replace Pat Williams. A first rounder whoI like that'll likely be available when we pick is Oghobaase. As for a 2nd rounder I'd say Granger would be a good fit. In the 3rd round, guys I'd be looking at would be Woods and Robinson, both of those guys would also be terrific fits at NT in the 4-3.

sig by BK and avy by me
        Originally posted by A Perfect Score
        If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
          I agree this DT class makes me horny. However, come on Hero, Cody as of right now is not a finished project, there's a lot of talent underneath that flab. He could work out very nicely as a space eater.
          If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential. That said Vince O has just as high of potential if not higher, Big Vince could end up Albert Haynesworth like if he just keeps progressing, with his size, strength, quickness and strong hands he can just dominate almost any blocker he comes up against. You won't over-power him, you won't out quick him and out smarting him is a tough one, kid got into duke for a reason, he's a bright kid.

Comment

Boo Robinson!!!! <3

I agree with the Raji comparison on him too.

I don't see a mention of Vince Oghobaase or Arthur Jones though.
            Last edited by princefielder28; 05-12-2009, 10:04 PM.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
              If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential. That said Vince O has just as high of potential if not higher, Big Vince could end up Albert Haynesworth like if he just keeps progressing, with his size, strength, quickness and strong hands he can just dominate almost any blocker he comes up against. You won't over-power him, you won't out quick him and out smarting him is a tough one, kid got into duke for a reason, he's a bright kid.
              Just a question and no disrespect intended but have you ever watched Vince? Because alot of people go ranting and raving about him after looking at his workout numbers but honestly how many people watch Duke games?

I haven't seen enough to comment on him (which is why I only mentioned him) but I have heard different things about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Hero View Post
                If he ever learns how to play on the line. Sure there's a lot of potential, because if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the SEC. I know he's huge and can do a 360 dunk, but he has trouble staying low, has trouble with his weight, has trouble with his stamina, has trouble with his hands, etc. Straight up the guy is all potential and outside of the raiders no one in the NFL drafts on pure potential.
                Hm none of these points are anything I can really disagree with but DTs develop over time, and the raw size and athletcism Cody offers would make me think very hard about passing on him. He won't be the best DT prospect in this class, maybe not even the 3rd or 4th best, but as a gigantic 2 down run stopper I believe he'll be able to find success.

Comment

Yea...I hope one of Suh, Odrick, McCoy, Oghobaase, Jones (though I don't think he's as good as the others right now), or man...Allen Bailey...is playing 3-4 DE for the Jets nexty year.

BTW: I see on Georgia's roster that Kade Weston has some sick size...what's up with him?

Comment

Don't sleep on UCLA Jr DT Brian Price. The guy has played at an All-conference level while going up against guys like Alex Mack, Ryan Kalil, Max Unger and more.

Comment

Allen Bailey has the physical ability of a top-5 pick. Look out. He fits better as a 3-4 end though.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                        Just a question and no disrespect intended but have you ever watched Vince? Because alot of people go ranting and raving about him after looking at his workout numbers but honestly how many people watch Duke games?

I haven't seen enough to comment on him (which is why I only mentioned him) but I have heard different things about him.
                        I'll certainly admit to not seeing as much of him as I would like to have but I caught three of his games last season, might of been four but three seem like a safe guess, because I thought he was going to come out and wanted to see if he could complete the giants DL on the inside, granted that was all rendered moot after the signing of Canty and Vince's decision to go back to school. My opinion is certainly open to change, but from the games I've seen Vince is a smart, hard working kid with all world potential and developing technique,he doesn't have all the nuance down of his position.

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                        Hm none of these points are anything I can really disagree with but DTs develop over time, and the raw size and athletcism Cody offers would make me think very hard about passing on him. He won't be the best DT prospect in this class, maybe not even the 3rd or 4th best, but as a gigantic 2 down run stopper I believe he'll be able to find success.
                        Sure Cody could develop and all but I just don't see what makes him any better than Ron Brace, in fact Brace to me was a better prospect than Cody is right now because while he wasn't the freak Cody is he was able to stay low and knew how to use his hands to control blockers.

Comment

Boo Robinson should so be a Seahawk.. Curry wants his Boo ;)

Lol.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
                          too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

Look for junior DT Josh Brent at Illinois to add his name to potential 1st round DT's. He is a beast. He is the closest thing to Raji in this upcoming draft IMO. He might be a better athlete though. He constantly makes plays down the LOS even with backs going full speed. I don't know about his speed (Doesn't matter for a DT anyway) but his agility is that of a much smaller player. He's 6'2 and 320+ pounds, he can lift a weightroom, and has been a big time contributor on the Illinois DL when he has played.

It remains to be seen if he comes back or not after this season...it might be a smart idea to do so because he doesn't get the hype the other DT's have gotten. He has also gotten into some trouble last season and this past offseason he drove under a suspended license (And drove a little under the influence) and might miss a game or so. If he does wind up coming back watch out for the tandem at Illinois in 2011. A senior Brent with a junior Corey Liuget would be dangerous and unfair. Corey Liuget will be eligible for the 2011 class (He'll be a true junior) and he's a special DT with an enormous upside (More than Brent and that is saying a lot). Talk is he'll be a sure fire first rounder already. He's that good.
                            Last edited by bigbenn; 05-13-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Looks like a great draft for DTs right now but it's gonna have a hard time beating the class of 2001.

1st Round:
                              Gerard Warren (4)
                              Richard Seymour (6)
                              Damione Lewis (12)
                              Marcus Stroud (13)
                              Casey Hampton (19)
                              Ryan Pickett (29)

2nd Round:
                              Kris Jenkins (44)
                              Shaun Rogers (61)

Not only were they all really good prospects (with Rogers dropping out of the first mostly due to injury concerns) but they've panned out as a group in the NFL as well. 5 of the 8 have been multiple pro bowlers and every one of them is still a starter in the league eight years later.
                              10 Favourite prospects for 2010: Colt McCoy, Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Noel Devine, Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, Travis Lewis, Eric Berry, Trevard Lindley

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information