No announcement yet.

Why Sam Bradford Sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing that bothers me with Bradford is he only makes 1 or 2 reads. I cant remember him starting on one side of the field and coming back to the other. His system really doesnt require him to do it though, so Im not saying he cant. Arm Strength looks NFL caliber, release is NFL caliber and accuracy is great but I think he tends to stare down guys JMO. BTW Big Banger Jason White got a shot with the Titans but if I recall correctly his knees or his shoulder gave out and he had to retire.

Originally posted by Jurrell Casey
    I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Comment

• I don't think Bradford sucks as a prospect, but I don't think OU's system prepares him much for the NFL.

Tebow on the other hand will fail miserably.

Comment

• BTW, Jason White didn't make the jump from college to the pros because both his knees were basically shot, it had less to do with his football acumen or physical tools.

And OU wins, yes, because of great coaching and schemes. But also because they bring in year after year top 10 recruiting classes. I haven't seen the Sooners play an entire game this year, but IMO Bradford and Trent Williams aren't the only potential NFL starters on that offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          I don't think Bradford sucks as a prospect, but I don't think OU's system prepares him much for the NFL.

Tebow on the other hand will fail miserably.
          The thing with Tebow and Bradford is that if they both hope to become something, they are going to have to sit and learn for a while.

Do you take long term projects THAT high in the draft, and if you do, is Sam Bradford really offering the type of upside to dish out that type of money and time invested?

I don't think he is, I think if a guy doesn't have elite physical tools, he better be ready to come in and play right away like Matt Ryan.

You can find Sam Bradford's later on in plenty of drafts, instead of spending a high pick on him.

He has never shown me "otherworldly" accuracy.
          Originally posted by SNIPER26
          fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
            I have a very strict criteria that I stick with when gauging NFL prospects at the QB position. When you see Vince Young, it is extremely tempting to put him high on your board since he was such a great college player, but how many of those prospects translate to the NFL? The track record is awful. All the QBs I've liked over the last five years came out of NFL type systems, completed a high level of difficulty on their throws by fitting balls into tight windows and tight coverage, had a top flight NFL arm strength (exception-- Leinart), had a lot of starting experience (exception-- Mark Sanchez), had good or greatly improved their mechanics (showing their dedication to their craft and desire to get better), are 6'2'' or better, and are guys that made players around them better. That's what I'm looking for. I keep it simple.
            Why were you so high on Philip Rivers then? You said he was one of the best prospects you've seen...did you not have questions about his throwing motion, arm strength, etc. ?

And all I can gather from all of this is that you definitely wouldn't have been high on Drew Brees. Shorter than 6'2, comes from a spread offense, questionable arm strength. Whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
              The thing with Tebow and Bradford is that if they both hope to become something, they are going to have to sit and learn for a while.

I could see Bradford starting from day one for the Rams

Do you take long term projects THAT high in the draft, and if you do, is Sam Bradford really offering the type of upside to dish out that type of money and time invested?

I don't think he is, I think if a guy doesn't have elite physical tools, he better be ready to come in and play right away like Matt Ryan.

You can find Sam Bradford's later on in plenty of drafts, instead of spending a high pick on him.

Name a few.

He has never shown me "otherworldly" accuracy.
              70% his 1st year, 68% his 2nd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bald_81 View Post
                Why were you so high on Philip Rivers then? You said he was one of the best prospects you've seen...did you not have questions about his throwing motion, arm strength, etc. ?

And all I can gather from all of this is that you definitely wouldn't have been high on Drew Brees. Shorter than 6'2, comes from a spread offense, questionable arm strength. Whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.
                Brees' name always comes up, but you also have to remember he is an exception. Very few QBs start in the NFL and are top 15 caliber QBs that are that short, but if I'm going to call a QB elite, he's got to have a lot... just like any other prospect. I don't have a problem with Purdue' system at all, I think its capable of producing NFL QBs. Boston College used had a great spread offense (Jay Cutler at Vandy... same thing), but it's much different than the one used in Oklahoma. Those are NFL type spread offenses. The spread the Longhorns, Missouri Tigers, Sooners used is not implemented in the NFL. Matt Ryan came out of a great spread offense his senior year (some really nice schemes) and I thought he was a fantastic QB prospect. Ryan attempted and completed some highly difficult throws, deep down field on a routine basis. Bradford throws dump off passes... you have a vertical spread (BC) and short spread (OU)... the vertical routes used in OU's scheme are designed to stretch the field vertically while the natural spread (horizontal) creates open room (large gaping pockets in the defense) for crossing patterns, flat routes, comebacks, out patterns, and screens to the RBs and TEs. You don't see Bradford attempt many deep throws 30 yards down field, because the deep patterns are usually (majority of the time) designed to do nothing more than keep those safeties back so the receivers can work underneath (Which spreads the defense out down field, as well as the across the field). You should be able to notice this with the naked eye... that is, Bradford attempting a great majority of short passes... which asks Bradford to do what with the safeties? Nothing, he doesn't even have to read or care where the safeties are after the snap (which wont happen in the NFL, you can trust me on that). The scheme takes the safeties out, he doesn't even have to worry about the safeties after the snap, he checks before the snap to see if they're deep, if they are, he knows the underneath stuff is going to be open, then he has to look to whatever side of the field has the most options... you get three guys on one side, usually matched up against 2 defenders, then you got a guy that's going to be uncovered and wide open, or you throw it out to the RB (who will be uncovered or covered by the MIKE LB). They have designs to run vertical patterns with multiple receivers on the same side of the field, just to get all the defenders deep (the CBs and Ss), then they sneak a RB out of the backfield and dump it off... all the RB has to do is beat a LB (and it takes nothing more than having better speed), then there's open field to run while the DBs are in coverage with their heads turned. That is a one read system. And that's what he does at least 50% of the time, at least.

Ryan' spread would consist of a 9 route one side of the field with the X and a deep post with the slot to the same side (2 WRs to his right)... Bradford doesn't attempt these throws (which are longer and force the QB to either hold the safety in the middle, then throw it to the outside or read the safety (who could double the outside WR) and hit the post out of the slot... and on the other side you could have an in-pattern with another WR working out of the other slot on his left, which is designed in sucking the LBs up to create a throwing lane for the slot receiver on the other side of the field... If the LBs drop and get deep enough to take away the post out of the slot to his right, then he would hit the in route (his third read), slot receiver to his left, for a 10-15 yard gain... see the difference? That's three-reads. He starts reading the safeties, depending on how they play, it dictates where the ball is going to go, if the safety shifts to a Cover 2 and jumps outside taking away the deep ball on the outside, then he has the post out of the slot, but if the LBs drop into that deep cover 2 (and he'll know it's a cover 2 if the safeties drop, if they don't, then it's man coverage), then he'll come off the slot to his right, and look for the guy coming across the middle on the square-in (who should be single covered). He has three options... and he has the arm and football IQ (ability to read that defense) and get the ball to the guy who has the single coverage. That's not even a complex read in the NFL... and that takes a split second to go from option 1, to option 2, to option 3. If Bradford did that, then I'd toot his horn for it, but he doesn't.

That, in a nutshell, is the difference between a guy like Sam Bradford and a guy like Matt Ryan.

That's as good and as detailed example I can give you, trying to explain the system and why it holds Bradford back. If you still think I'm biased, or flat wrong after this post, or if your curious why I have a 6'2'' limit or whatever about QB prospects... then, I'm done debating this. You can either take it for a grain of salt, or you can read what I just wrote and see if it makes sense or see if it applies to Sam Bradford on your own. I don't want to hear your opinion on the system or that I'm wrong about OU's system, or any of that ****. You don't even have to respond because I'm done with it. I spent enough time talking about the system, if you wanna disagree with that, then be my guest, but I don't care. I gave you some good information right there and that's probably the first time you've ever heard someone break down the system in that manner with that much detail on some message board. One scheme dictates what the defense can do (OU) and the other scheme is dictated by how the defense REACTS to the offensive patterns, and then the QB, in turn, REACTS to the defense. To break that down even more... one QB is reading the defense and one isn't.

When he throws for 350 yards against Texas next week, I wont give a ****. He wont make more than two NFL throws in that entire game and he'll throw it 50 times. If you wanna come back here and talk about his completion percentage and all that ****, I'll just copy and paste this entire post as my response.

Philip Rivers has an NFL arm. Sam Bradford is not close to Rivers. Rivers is also ten times more accurate than Bradford ever was. Rivers dominated and played huge in big games. Had tons of experience. I don't care about throwing motion. He looked awkward but he always set his feet and delivered the ball with pin point accuracy. I don't even know why I'm sitting here explaining a guy I was right about. If you think Rivers had a weak or something, then you should just forget watching QBs. I'm done talking about NFL QBs who haven't been in college for 5 years.
                Last edited by BigBanger; 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM.
                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                Originally posted by GoRavens
                Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• wow. That was amazing lol

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Originally posted by scottyboy
                  like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.

Comment

• Completely agree about Bradford having too many question marks.. I don't see a qb who can threaten all levels of the field as a passer. Not only that but he doesn't have the athleticism to improvise or anything that makes him a difference maker. IMO This guy doesn't even come close to being a top 5 player in this draft. His accuracy is only good short his arm strength is questionable and more along the lines of Chad Pennington or Jeff Garcia. He has no experience in a pro offense and was surrounded by tons of talent. I could see him turning out like Brian Brohm and being cut after his 2nd NFL camp. People comparing this guy to Phillip Rivers are crazy. I'll never forget his game at Ohio State when he was cheered off in a losing effort. I absolutely loved that guy coming out.

The only guy I can stick my neck out for right now, who i believe will be a franchise qb is Jake Locker. I see a complete package when I watch. Arm strength, accuracy (WR's drop a ton of passes), pocket presence, decision making, anticipation and intangibles. The guy is carrying his team every week. Without him there winless for another season. He has Donavan McNabb type talent and he's just starting to touch his potential. Like him as much as Sanchez long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                      70% his 1st year, 68% his 2nd.
                      Colt McCoy threw for 77% or something, is he the most accurate QB to ever play the game of football?
                      Originally posted by SNIPER26
                      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Bradford's arms strength is comparable to Pennington, ( arguably the weakest arm in the pros), or Garcia, (who's almost 40??).

And Romo, you think Bradford gets cut by the end of his 2nd year in the NFL?

Bradford's not athletic??

This hate for Super Sam is getting way outside the bounds of reality. IMO, Bradford is the most capable spread QB to make the transition to a pro set offense, simply because the kid has the smarts, understanding of the position, competitiveness, and enough physical tools to make the jump.

Honestly, I don't think the Rivers comparisions are that far off, in that I think he could eventually develop into that type of player, but he will need time, and I wouldn't want to bring him into a situation next year where he would be required to start the 1st game of the season.

Bottom line, Stoops' offense just looks 'different' when Bradford is behind center. I really don't know how else to explain it, but suffice to say I think too many here are short-selling Bradford by assuming he's a system QB.

This isn't the second coming of Alex Smith by a mile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                          Colt McCoy threw for 77% or something, is he the most accurate QB to ever play the game of football?
                          I'm sure he isnt but how accurate do you want the guy to be? when you factor in occasional drops, bad routes and occasional pressure 70% is outstanding. He may have faults, accuracy isnt one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                            Bradford's arms strength is comparable to Pennington, ( arguably the weakest arm in the pros), or Garcia, (who's almost 40??).

And Romo, you think Bradford gets cut by the end of his 2nd year in the NFL?

Bradford's not athletic??

This hate for Super Sam is getting way outside the bounds of reality. IMO, Bradford is the most capable spread QB to make the transition to a pro set offense, simply because the kid has the smarts, understanding of the position, competitiveness, and enough physical tools to make the jump.

Honestly, I don't think the Rivers comparisions are that far off, in that I think he could eventually develop into that type of player, but he will need time, and I wouldn't want to bring him into a situation next year where he would be required to start the 1st game of the season.

Bottom line, Stoops' offense just looks 'different' when Bradford is behind center. I really don't know how else to explain it, but suffice to say I think too many here are short-selling Bradford by assuming he's a system QB.

This isn't the second coming of Alex Smith by a mile.
                            Did you just call him "Super Sam"?

And people here are suprised when these kids are disliked by some fans. Some people put players in pedestals that they don't deserve.

Comment

• Sam Bradford is a 'super' college QB, the greatest passing QB, I believe, to ever play at OU.

The question remains if Bradford has it in him to be an equally sublime QB in the pros.

Comment

• Dude just through for a large number of yards and 1 TD, wtf?
                                | Hawkeyes || Rams || Lakers || Braves || Avalanche |

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information