Mel Kiper's Big Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-L View Post
    Carlos Dunlap is so overrated. He's not a top five pick at this point.
    YES! I agree x1000%.

He lacks a great first step and doesn't reach the corner. A majority of his sacks came from quarterbacks holding on to the ball for too long. His upper-body is extremely skinny, skinnier than that of Gaines Adams and even Michael Johnson. He isn't fast at all and looks like he will run a 4.8 or a 4.9. Honestly I think he is the worst of all of the prototype defensive ends (Peppers, Williams, Anderson, Johnson, Adams). He compares favorably with Jamaal Anderson from a few years ago who went top 10 and hasn't done anything in the NFL, the only difference? Jamaal Anderson was better in college and was stronger.

IMO the best prototype DE in this draft is Corey Wootton out of Northwestern.

Dunlap does have his positives though, he does have a nice bull rush, he has nice production and he never quits on a play. However I think that his strength and bull rush are results of playing against College Left Tackles that are not NFL caliber. In fact, he played 3 first round NFL tackles in Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Ciron Black all 3 of whom are right tackles in the NFL. Do you know how many sacks he registered against them? Not one. He didn't even get a sack against Phil Loadholt.

The depth chart I found said he played RE but it could be wrong so I'll just name the RTs he faced in those games:
    Drew Davis, John Jerry, Joseph Barksdale and Trent Williams. 4 players who will be in the NFL, he did not register a sack.

He did not register a sack in 8 separate games. And he compiled 6 of his sacks against the likes of Kentucky, Florida St. and Miami. The only notable LT on these teams is Jason Fox, who I believe had a freshman QB that he was protecting. But aside from that he beat up on a freshman and a no name at Kentucky.

And it looks even worse if he was a LE because he was going against nobodies versus Florida St. and Kentucky and he played against an injured Reggie Youngblood in Miami. Not good any way you spin it.

Here is an example of what I mean by he gets sacks because the QB holds the ball too long:

Last edited by Thumper; 08-22-2009, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Ciron Black isn't in the NFL yet.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
      2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
      2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

Originally posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
        Ciron Black isn't in the NFL yet.
        Probably the 4th or 5th OT taken i believe after Bulaga,Williams,Okung......that probably gets you in the middle of round 1.

Comment

These guys I like

1. Sam Bradford

2. Eric Berry

4. Gerald McCoy

5. Ndamukong Suh

7. Jevan Snead

8. Dez Bryant

13. Jonathan Dwyer

14. Russell Okung

15. Jermaine Gresham

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
          Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Sean Weatherspoon is such a beast. He is the best Linebacker in College Football.

Comment

Originally posted by aNYtitan View Post
              Alright here is a good question, how good (or bad) will Tebow be as a professional?
              Hmmm.. I hear he's gonna be working on his mechanics and showing off his arm this season. But only time will tell. He's definitely not running no QB dives next year.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                Sean Weatherspoon is such a beast. He is the best Linebacker in College Football.
                This guy would like a word with you..

Comment

Spikes was the best LB last year and is so again entering his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    This guy would like a word with you..

Yeah I knew someone would say Spikes is better.

That would be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                      YES! I agree x1000%.

He lacks a great first step and doesn't reach the corner. A majority of his sacks came from quarterbacks holding on to the ball for too long. His upper-body is extremely skinny, skinnier than that of Gaines Adams and even Michael Johnson. He isn't fast at all and looks like he will run a 4.8 or a 4.9. Honestly I think he is the worst of all of the prototype defensive ends (Peppers, Williams, Anderson, Johnson, Adams). He compares favorably with Jamaal Anderson from a few years ago who went top 10 and hasn't done anything in the NFL, the only difference? Jamaal Anderson was better in college and was stronger.

IMO the best prototype DE in this draft is Corey Wootton out of Northwestern.

Dunlap does have his positives though, he does have a nice bull rush, he has nice production and he never quits on a play. However I think that his strength and bull rush are results of playing against College Left Tackles that are not NFL caliber. In fact, he played 3 first round NFL tackles in Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Ciron Black all 3 of whom are right tackles in the NFL. Do you know how many sacks he registered against them? Not one. He didn't even get a sack against Phil Loadholt.

The depth chart I found said he played RE but it could be wrong so I'll just name the RTs he faced in those games:
                      Drew Davis, John Jerry, Joseph Barksdale and Trent Williams. 4 players who will be in the NFL, he did not register a sack.

He did not register a sack in 8 separate games. And he compiled 6 of his sacks against the likes of Kentucky, Florida St. and Miami. The only notable LT on these teams is Jason Fox, who I believe had a freshman QB that he was protecting. But aside from that he beat up on a freshman and a no name at Kentucky.

And it looks even worse if he was a LE because he was going against nobodies versus Florida St. and Kentucky and he played against an injured Reggie Youngblood in Miami. Not good any way you spin it.

Here is an example of what I mean by he gets sacks because the QB holds the ball too long:

Dunlap is very fast, don't know where you came to that conclusion. He also has incredibly long arms (7+ foot wingspan) that helped him block three punts and bat down numerous passes.

He's got a lot to prove, and he's far from a finished product, but 9.5 sacks from a part-time player who wasn't even a starter is impressive, regardless of who he was going against. I think he breaks out in a big way this year (he's drawing raves in practice) and puts away any doubts that he's a top talent. Remember, he was only a sophomore last season.

Comment

While guys are saying Benn is Anquan Boldin, I would agree, except that he's faster. Benn consistently runs 4.3's and will time so (Or low to mid 4.4's) at the NFL combine. He's not the quick twitch Percy Harvin type, but when he gets up there aren't many who are going to catch him. The scary thing is he is even more explosive. Watch out...

Comment

Benn does not run a 4.3, he's a 4.45 guy at the most. You have a link to that time you put out there?

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                            Yeah I knew someone would say Spikes is better.

That would be incorrect.
                            I guess it's just my opinion. The thing that separates the two, for me, is Spikes ability to run through traffic and shed blocks quick. You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

I guess it's just my opinion. The thing that separates the two, for me, is Spikes ability to run through traffic and shed blocks quick. You can't go wrong with either.
                              Agreed, both will be beast at the next level.

Comment

I see him make plays like this all the time. Very rare to find a college LB who takes on and sheds blocks as well as Spikes does. Spikes is badass.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information