Prospect Comparison Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
    Evans does much more than that for Buffalo. He just happens to be excellent at the deep ball too.

Also, Tate does alot of going deep for ND.
    I realize Tate goes deep a lot at ND. I just don't think he'll be doing it that much in the NFL.

Comment

Tate isn't Lee Evans. Nowhere near as much of a threat deep. He's good there, but he won't be doing that as often in the NFL. Poor mans Steve Smith is like...spot on deadly perfect for Tate. Tate is slower, but the YAC ability is virtually the same. Don't think I've seen a receiver as good after the catch as Tate in a while.
      Last edited by ElectricEye; 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
        Tate isn't Lee Evans. Nowhere near as much of a threat deep. He's good there, but he won't be doing that as often in the NFL. Poor mans Steve Smith is like...spot on deadly perfect for Tate. Tate is slower, but the YAC ability is virtually the same. Don't think I've seen a receiver as good after the catch as Tate in awhile.
        Considering the WR prospects that have come out in the past 6+ years, I highly doubt that.

I still don't get why Tate is Evans but not Smith. I mean maybe when Evans was new to the league he was just a vertical threat, but that seems like you're really pigeon holing one of the leagues more underrated all around WR threats.

Comment

It's not that Evans can't hurt the you in more than one way, it's that Tate doesn't look like him when he plays very much.
          Evans is more than just a deep threat, but that's where his yards have come from. Ever since JP Loseman and his big arm left, his production has gone down and you can directly attribute to to the lack of a deep ball thrower. Edwards is more of a fist ten yards/checkdown type of guy rather than a guy who uses the entire field. Tate is a guy that will do most of his damage 10-20 yards down the field and busting tackles after that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Tate isn't Lee Evans. Nowhere near as much of a threat deep. He's good there, but he won't be doing that as often in the NFL. Poor mans Steve Smith is like...spot on deadly perfect for Tate. Tate is slower, but the YAC ability is virtually the same. Don't think I've seen a receiver as good after the catch as Tate in a while.

This an easy one-Golden Tate is Hines Ward.

Not as easy-Jake Locker is Tony Romo.

Originally posted by borg9
            Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
              This an easy one-Golden Tate is Hines Ward.

Not as easy-Jake Locker is Tony Romo.
              Ah....No. Hines Ward is a terrible comparison for Tate. Nothing like each other at all. Don't look the same playing at all. Tate is nowhere near as physical of a presence as Ward is and is much better in terms of speed and quickness.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by DeepThreat View Post
                I don't think there is a great comparison for Locker. If you go with his athletic side, they aren't as good of passers. If you go with his passing abilities, they aren't as athletic. I think Cutler or maybe McNabb are the closest.
                Jake Locker = Steve McNair

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Killer View Post
                  Jake Locker = Steve McNair
                  Physically, yeah, that's spot on.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I've always thought....

Jake Locker = Donovan Mcnabb

Comment

Ah....No. Hines Ward is a terrible comparison for Tate. Nothing like each other at all. Don't look the same playing at all. Tate is nowhere near as physical of a presence as Ward is and is much better in terms of speed and quickness.
                      Disagree. Hines in his prime was one of the best yac WR's in the game-started on ST-similar compact smaller size. Both attack the ball. Top competitors. Tate may not be as dirty...ah physical as Hines but he can learn.

Comment

I don't know if this has been posted, but Jordan Shipley is a lot like Wes Welker, but faster. No I am not saying this because they are both white, but they play the game a lot alike.

Comment

A couple of ones I think are

Gerald McCoy=Kevin Williams
                          Ndamukong Suh=Richard Seymour
                          Taylor Mays=Laron Landry
                          Terrence Cody=Jamal Williams
                          Jimmy Clausen=Aaron Rodgers
                          Selvish Capers=Duane Brown
                          Joe Haden=Leon Hall
                          Damien Williams=TJ Houshmandzadeh
                          Golden Tate=Steve Smith(Panthers)
                          Eric Decker=Steve Smith(Giants)

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Leader View Post
                            Disagree. Hines in his prime was one of the best yac WR's in the game-started on ST-similar compact smaller size. Both attack the ball. Top competitors. Tate may not be as dirty...ah physical as Hines but he can learn.
                            That's not something you can learn. That's just part of a players personality on the field. Part of what makes Hines Ward unique. Tate doesn't have that or the nasty factor going for him(nearly no wide receivers do). He also has high 4.4 to low 4.5 speed and plays much faster on the field.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by OneToughGame View Post
                              Garrard is a bad comparison for Locker and Collins for Clausen is just as bad.
                              way to backup your thoughts with support...next time maybe explain why you feel that way?

i like locker. and dont mean for it to be a knock. locker may run a better 40 time than garrard but i do see there style of play and statistics being similar at the nfl level. garrard and locker both are throw first qbs with good mobility and a threat to beat you with their legs. locker and garrard are mature qbs, both have strong arms, and can make all the throws but also can be erratic at times. garrards good for about 15-20 tds a year and his td-int ratio the past 4 years is similar to my expectations of locker at 49-30 (1.6 tds to ints ratio).

the penn state kerry collins seems a pretty good comparison to me with clausen. arrogant strong armed qb with a good bit of experience and a lot of success statistically. both from pro style offenses. collins 66.7% completion, clausen 67% completion, collins yards per attempt 10.1, clausen ypa 9.0, collins passing efficiency 172, clausen 163.

Comment

That's not something you can learn. That's just part of a players personality on the field. Part of what makes Hines Ward unique. Tate doesn't have that or the nasty factor going for him(nearly no wide receivers do). He also has high 4.4 to low 4.5 speed and plays much faster on the field.
                                I'm assuming the physical part is the only thing you disagree with?

Both guys play the WR position like RB's-Hines has learned to take pride in blindside blocking. Being physical is definitely something you can improve upon, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, DeAngelo Williams, Plax, Steve Smith, Cribbs, all examples of guys who came into the league, then improved or perfected their physical style, like Hines.

The speed part is probably dead on as far as comparison-Hines,certainly slowing down now, but for most of his career I'd say that's about where he's at and definitely where he was when he came out.

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                                A couple of ones I think are

Gerald McCoy=Kevin Williams
                                Ndamukong Suh=Richard Seymour
                                Taylor Mays=Laron Landry
                                Terrence Cody=Jamal Williams
                                Jimmy Clausen=Aaron Rodgers
                                Selvish Capers=Duane Brown
                                Joe Haden=Leon Hall
                                Damien Williams=TJ Houshmandzadeh
                                Golden Tate=Steve Smith(Panthers)
                                Eric Decker=Steve Smith(Giants)
                                That's an interesting compare-but I'd say Smith is much faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information