Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will Mardy Gilyard go?

How high can he be drafted?

As a UC student I must say that I really think highly of Gilyard, he does nothing but make big plays and move the chains. In a crop of many talented players and WR's potentially entering this draft though he seems to be getting lost in the mix a little bit. In many of the mock drafts I haven't even seen him in the first 2 rounds.

His production and ability are undeniable, 75+ receptions, over 1000 yards easy, and 10+ receiving tds each of the last two seasons. Throw in 3 kickoff return Td's, one of those being against WVU in his worst game receiving-wise this season and you have a real playmaker on your hands.

Furthermore I must point out that this guy is a hell of a character after finding out about how he dropped out of school but worked hard to get back in and during this time while living in his car he was still helping youths in the community. There's also a video of him hugging some kid after running him over in the stands.

After rolling all of these things into one I don't see why he shouldn't be a first round draft pick. I believe he can be an impact player at the next level with the ability and character that he possesses to be a great professional.

Obviously though what I see of him may be biased due to me being a UC student and all, which is why I am really interested in seeing what you all think of him and his potential at the next level.

I think after the All Star games and the combine are over Gilyard will be in the first round of most mocks, and then in the first round of the actual draft. I see the top WR's as all pretty close. Who knows, Maybe Gilyard could be the first WR taken.

Comment

I'm a big fan of UC and Gilyard, but I think he's a fringe 1st round talent guy. If a team was really desperate it's possible he could go in the 1st round, but I think it's likely he'll go in the 2nd.

Comment

Mid-2nd early 3rd is where I see him going.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
          Mid-2nd early 3rd is where I see him going.
          Right thurr...

He's a perfect fit for a system receiver at the next level, for a team like New England, Denver or Miami.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
            Right thurr...

He's a perfect fit for a system receiver at the next level, for a team like New England, Denver or Miami.
            Yeah, I'm hoping the Patriots take him in that range. He would be really good for us.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I had no idea how overlooked he is. I just assumed everybody had Gilyard on the radar as atleast a late 1st rounder. The only way I see him slip out of the first is if there isn't a big overall need for WR's. Talent wise he's a legit first rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
                I had no idea how overlooked he is. I just assumed everybody had Gilyard on the radar as atleast a late 1st rounder. The only way I see him slip out of the first is if there isn't a big overall need for WR's. Talent wise he's a legit first rounder.
                I just don't see it.

His route running isn't anything special while his speed is overrated. I'm a believer that 40 times are overrated, but when it comes to Gilyard, that is a lot of his stock, so it is hard not to knock him on that aspect of his game.

Comment

I just don't see it.

His route running isn't anything special while his speed is overrated. I'm a believer that 40 times are overrated, but when it comes to Gilyard, that is a lot of his stock, so it is hard not to knock him on that aspect of his game.
                  I feel his route running is very, very good for a college player. You won't find a college WR that doesn't need to improve his route running when they enter the NFL. I think Gilyard is well on his way and that should translate into early playing time.

As far as his speed is concerned, I think it's underrated. I've seen his 40 time projected in the 4.51 to 4.55 range. That's crazy to me. He looks 4.47 at the slowest and I could see him being as fast as 4.42.

Comment

It's really a stacked draft all around. Normally, I'd back Gilyard as a late first round prospect, but as I said this is a strong class. I see Mardy being picked somewhere between 35 and 55. Top Two Round Pick.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                      It's really a stacked draft all around. Normally, I'd back Gilyard as a late first round prospect, but as I said this is a strong class. I see Mardy being picked somewhere between 35 and 55. Top Two Round Pick.
                      One thing that will dictate a lot is which teams take a WR in the 1st round. Some teams may prefer a bigger, more verticle type of receiver and they would lean towards say Brandon LaFell or Dez Bryant. While there may be other teams that prefer their receivers to be a threat after the catch. Maybe it could just be a case where a team needs a WR and a return man. In that scenario Gilyard could be #1 on that teams WR board.

Comment

This is simply not a good draft for receivers. Teams wont reach to take Gilyard with the stacked receiving class next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post
                          This is simply not a good draft for receivers. Teams wont reach to take Gilyard with the stacked receiving class next year.
                          And the dumbest statement of the day goes to...

Comment

And the dumbest statement of the day goes to...
                            Yeah really. This class and next year's class both appear to be stacked. The only way this years class wouldn't be very, very good is if all the underclassmen stayed in school and we know that won't happen.

Further more, Gilyard wouldn't be a reach talent wise. If he doesn't go in the first he'll be deemed a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
                              Yeah really. This class and next year's class both appear to be stacked. The only way this years class wouldn't be very, very good is if all the underclassmen stayed in school and we know that won't happen.

Further more, Gilyard wouldn't be a reach talent wise. If he doesn't go in the first he'll be deemed a steal.
                              Obviously, this receiver class (assuming Benn, Williams and Tate declare amongst others) won't be as good as next year's class (assuming the juniors declare).

I was just saying that his statement was dumb because he assumed that a team is going to wait next year for a player, let alone a wide receiver. I would maybe think about understanding if we were talking about a position like offensive tackle or quarterback, but wide receiver? You can get an All-Pro receiver every single draft. A team like the Ravens isn't going to pass on Damian Williams just because they think Julio Jones might be available next year.

I mean there is obviously a difference between players like Gosder Cherilus and Jason Smith, that is why one went 2nd overall and the other went 17th. Cherilus isn't athletic enough to play LT while Jason Smith could play both LT and RT extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information