Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eric Berry is not a #1 overall pick thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._draft_choices

I don't understand why people continue to put Eric Berry #1 overall. He's #1 on so many big boards and rightfully so. However... there has never been a safety taken #1 overall, ever.

1 has been taken since 1970 in the first two picks (Eric Turner).

3 in the top 5 since 1970 (Eric Turner, Shawn Springs, Kenny Easely).

Positional Value is extremely weak.

Eric Berry is not #1 overall material. He is top 5 definitely top 10, but you don't take a safety #1 overall.
    **** her in da *****!

What if everyone else in college football died and he was the only draft eligible player?

Comment

I don't think people are saying he'll go #1 overall, I just think they're saying he's the best player in this draft. (If he comes out)

Comment

The Browns would still pass on him rendering him the #2 overall pick with the #1 pick forfeited.

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
        I don't think people are saying he'll go #1 overall, I just think they're saying he's the best player in this draft. (If he comes out)
        I've seen quite a few with him #1 overall.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Ah, but a center HAS been taken #1 overall. . . JD!

Comment

I agree. I usually disregard any mock that has a DB in the Top 3. Top 5 is even a stretch.. I mean, Sean Taylor was the probably the best Safety prospect of the past 15 years and he went #5.

I can't picture a GM picking in the Top 5 thinking "Man, if we just had that safety.. we could turn this franchise around!"

I could see it in a weak draft or if the Safety is just a can't miss, Elite, once in a lifetime type prospect.. but generally that's how I see it.

Comment

There's a first time for everything!

Comment

Shawn Springs was drafted as a corner, not a safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                  I agree. I usually disregard any mock that has a DB in the Top 3. Top 5 is even a stretch.. I mean, Sean Taylor was the probably the best Safety prospect of the past 15 years and he went #5.

I can't picture a GM picking in the Top 5 thinking "Man, if we just had that safety.. we could turn this franchise around!"

I could see it in a weak draft or if the Safety is just a can't miss, Elite, once in a lifetime type prospect.. but generally that's how I see it.
                  That was an extremely strong draft at the top, though. This draft is really weak in the top 5. That's the main reason EB is going #1 in mocks. Also, traditional positions that go top 3 or 5 are down at the top such as QB, HB, OT, DE.
                  Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                  RIP themaninblack

Comment

EB is the #1 player on many draft boards. Because of that, he'll go #1 overall in some mocks. That's just the nature of it.

Hard to go off history in this case because Safeties are looked at more valuably today. Bob Sanders was a DPOY, and then you have game changing players like Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed. GM's may be willing to use higher picks on them because of that.

But yeah, definitely not going #1 overall though, but it's not illogical to suggest.
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

What If Berry can play CB? Like Ronnie Lott did for the 49ers. Hey if you know that the guy can turn around the back 4 go to pro bowls and be a leader for your team. I don't care what he plays. I want him on my team, even at number one.

Comment

The team with the first pick might not take him, but Eric Berry is the best prospect in this draft. That's why he's number one on so many boards.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                          I think that's all it is, but he won't go #1 overall. Not just that, but more then likely teams picking at the top usually go for premiere positions like QB, LT, DE, to get that cornerstone player at a key position.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I'll cosign this shiz, it's impossible that anyone pays this much for a safety. Maybe in a few years if a rookie scale is in place it will be possible for a S to go #1, but not with the current system.

Comment

I put him #1 in my mocks because until the Browns trade Brady Quinn, I wont give them a QB and Berry is the best available prospect. I do not like projecting trades which is what I see happening if the Browns hold the #1 spot and keep Quinn.

bonekrusher
                              The Twitters
                              themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information