Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Tebow to Buffalo? Jim Kelly thinks so

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...h-wilson_N.htm

"Whether it's Tim Tebow, whether they'll have a shot at him when draft time comes ... you have to look at the top three quarterbacks in the draft, really study them. And you look for a guy with good character, good leadership ability and good arm strength — and a guy who doesn't come from California."
    The thing that intrigues me most about this is he really hit the head on all those things.

The Bills have gone after guys with all the tangibles in the world since Kelly. But they were all lacking the intangibles (i.e. Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman, Trent Edwards). So why not roll the dice on a guy who might not have the mechanics down to a T, but is a straight up baller?

I also find it interesting that Buffalo has been chasing after Shanahan, whose known for coaching young QB's very well and making things easy on them. Whatever team drafts Tebow will need such a coach.

Also, Buffalo is a team that is known for "shaking things up" on draft day. They're also not above reaching for a guy that they want regardless of where they should go. Examples of both: Donte Whitner at 8 and John McCargo in the 1st in 2007 and taking Willis McGahee in 2003 when they weren't on anyone's radar to take him.

Perhaps most importantly, Buffalo is a small market team that needs all the help as far as revenue and excitement (see T.O.). Especially after this dreadful season. Fan enthusiasm for this team was at an all time low before firing Jauron.

I would not at all be surprised to see Buffalo "reach" for him in the 1st. I think it could actually be a good fit.

On a (somewhat) unrelated note, it perplexes me to no end that half of the people on this board mock the Bills taking an offensive lineman with their top pick.

Yes, the Bills line has been atrocious. But that is the result of a ridiculous amount of injuries and inexperience. Buffalo drafted Eric Wood in the 1st last year and Andy Levitre in the 2nd. Not to mention, starting Demetrius Bell at LT (who hasn't been terrible, but has been injury plagued this year).

They have far and away the youngest line in the NFL. Adding another rookie to that is not the route they're going to go. Especially with a pretty good crop of veteran lineman in FA.

I find it kind of funny that California QBs have somehow garnished a lower reputation than Florida QBs.

As for the fit in Buffalo, it's fine (as it is anywhere), if they are willing to make the necessary adjustments to their offensive playbook and personnel to give Tim the chance to be a success at the NFL level.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Tom Brady is a Cali kid, but played in Michigan
      Patriots Draft 2015
      1. CB - Marcus Peters
      2. WR - Sammie Coates
      3. RB - David Johnson
      3. DT - Angelo Blackson
      4. OG - Tre Jackson
      4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
      5. LB - Ben Heeney
      6. TE - Wes Saxton
      7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
        I find it kind of funny that California QBs have somehow garnished a lower reputation than Florida QBs.

As for the fit in Buffalo, it's fine (as it is anywhere), if they are willing to make the necessary adjustments to their offensive playbook and personnel to give Tim the chance to be a success at the NFL level.
        I thought the Cali point was simply because he was specifically talking about Buffalo, which could be a bit of a culture shock for a West Coast guy (assuming both high school and college were out west).

Comment

Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
          I thought the Cali point was simply because he was specifically talking about Buffalo, which could be a bit of a culture shock for a West Coast guy (assuming both high school and college were out west).
          Typically I would agree, but it's Florida vs. California. Florida's weather and lifestyle is just a different as California's (though in not all the same ways). Gator QBs as a whole are a giant red flag. Even QBs from Miami and Florida State haven't found any great success in the NFL as a whole.

You could be right, as there are some good Cali QBs out there and it doesn't make all too much sense to me. Who knows, maybe it was just a shot at Stanford product Trent Edwards. Either way, I think were getting caught up in the wrong part of this thread (which may be better suited for the team boards.)

Comment

I think the main issue with Buffalo and California QB's stems from players who were born, raised, and played there (or in other high climate places). They tend to not be able to make the transition to playing in Buffalo on the field and off.

J.P. Losman - Born in Venice, California, played college ball for Tulane
            Trent Edwards - Born in Los Gatos, California, played college ball for Stanford
            Rob Johnson - Born in Newport Beach, California, played college ball for USC

Comment

Originally posted by RochesterRox19 View Post
              I think the main issue with Buffalo and California QB's stems from players who were born, raised, and played there (or in other high climate places). They tend to not be able to make the transition to playing in Buffalo on the field and off.

J.P. Losman - Born in Venice, California, played college ball for Tulane
              Trent Edwards - Born in Los Gatos, California, played college ball for Stanford
              Rob Johnson - Born in Newport Beach, California, played college ball for USC
              Gotcha. Thank you for clearing that up. I do think they should shift their focus to Big 10, Big East, or Northern ACC Quarterback. Culture shock in Buffalo is dangerous and it has rendered some players useless, and some unable to cope (Willis McGahee.) Jimmy Clausen is a Cali boy as well, so perhaps Jake Locker would have the best chance to adjusting to Buffalo weather wise.

Comment

Isn't Brohm supposed to be the future in Buffalo anyway? :D

Tebow would look sick in a Jags uniform , that's all I know.

Comment

What is deal with all the Tebow love among NFL insiders, Parcells, Gruden, Dungy they all seem to just love this guy and you know that the Jags might take him just to sell tickets and the Redskins just to satisfy Snyder's fan like whims

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                  Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                    What is deal with all the Tebow love among NFL insiders, Parcells, Gruden, Dungy they all seem to just love this guy and you know that the Jags might take him just to sell tickets and the Redskins just to satisfy Snyder's fan like whims
                    Because those people have seen how sometimes it is about heart and winning rather than physical skills.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                      Because those people have seen how sometimes it is about heart and winning rather than physical skills.
                      I wish I could Facebook "like" this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                        I think those you mentioned look for intangibles in QBs. My guess is they feel they can correct the mechanical flaws but you cant teach leadership/Winning attitude all that good stuff.

Comment

Since when does taunting the opposing teams,flailing your arms about, and screaming at your teammates give you heart?

Comment

California QB's are bad now?

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

It seems to me that Ralph Wilson wants to win now. That is why he brought in Terrell Owens and is trying to bring a high profile coach, like Shanahan, to Buffalo. Tebow is going to have to change his release and learn an NFL offense before he can be successfull. He would seem to be 2-3 years away from playing. If Buffalo wants to win now, they might want to look in a different direction. Shoring up their offensive line would be a good start. Also, is Trent Edwards really not good enough to be an NFL starter? I really liked him out of college and when I've seen him play he has impressed me. If he could be more consistent I think he could be a good player.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information