Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No... don't draft my team a franchise saving QB

Why?

Why is it every draft year someone (especially teams with the #1 pick) would rather have their team take a far inferior position over the #1 rated QB? I could understand if you were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers why you might not want a QB #1 (or top 5), but how much difference is a S, CB, RB, WR, LB, DT really going to make?

An elite coverage corner can cover 1 guy.

An elite safety can provide soft coverage and provide some support in the box.

An elite running back might touch the ball 20 times a game, but will rely on running lanes being created and will likely just get stuffed by 8-9 men in the box if your QB sucks.

A #1 WR will suck coverage to him, but if your other WRs suck, you're still screwed.

A LB depends on what kind and what system, but in general a MLB or an OLB in a 43 just isn't going to be franchise changing.

A DT could solidify your run defense and pass defense by killing up the middle (See Ndamukong Suh versus Texas...) but very very very rarely ever makes the kind of impact they did in college in the NFL (see Warren Sapp).

There is virtually no pay difference between a top 5 pick invested into a QB as another core position.

A QB makes their OL just as much as an OL makes their QB. (See Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning)

An Elite QB makes their WRs just way more than the WRs make their QB (See Peyton Manning, Tom Brady from 2007 back..., etc)

It's not just people don't like Jimmy Clausen or Jake Locker this year. Lions fans hated the idea of Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford. Falcons fans (although not the #1 pick) did not want Matt Ryan.

Why do you not want your team to draft the most important position on the field? The guy touches it every offensive snap unless your head coach is an idiot (see Tony Sparano*...).

Who thought Minnesota's WRs were worth anything at the beginning of the year? (Other than Vikings homers). With Brett Favre, they look almost uncoverable.

With Drew Brees, his receivers in deed are uncoverable (provided your coach wears a hoodie with the sleeves cut to half length :().

"Please don't give me Jimmy Clausen. I'd rather have Leigh Tiffin."

* = I don't think Sparano is an idiot per se, but he has a young and talented QB that needs to develop. Playing around with a wildcat system while he sucks out valuable time from his developing QB screws with the rhythm and confidence of Chad Henne, which I think is idiotic.

If you listen to the Patriots talk about their feelings about Brady, it's almost mind bending how they let him fall to the 6th round. Here's the clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...eals-Tom-Brady (@ 2:15 the part that I'm referring to starts)
    **** her in da *****!

Originally posted by descendency View Post
    Why?

Why is it every draft year someone (especially teams with the #1 pick) would rather have their team take a far inferior position over the #1 rated QB? I could understand if you were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers why you might not want a QB #1 (or top 5), but how much difference is a S, CB, RB, WR, LB, DT really going to make?

An elite coverage corner can cover 1 guy.

An elite safety can provide soft coverage and provide some support in the box.

An elite running back might touch the ball 20 times a game, but will rely on running lanes being created and will likely just get stuffed by 8-9 men in the box if your QB sucks.

A #1 WR will suck coverage to him, but if your other WRs suck, you're still screwed.

A LB depends on what kind and what system, but in general a MLB or an OLB in a 43 just isn't going to be franchise changing.

A DT could solidify your run defense and pass defense by killing up the middle (See Ndamukong Suh versus Texas...) but very very very rarely ever makes the kind of impact they did in college in the NFL (see Warren Sapp).

There is virtually no pay difference between a top 5 pick invested into a QB as another core position.

A QB makes their OL just as much as an OL makes their QB. (See Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning)

An Elite QB makes their WRs just way more than the WRs make their QB (See Peyton Manning, Tom Brady from 2007 back..., etc)

It's not just people don't like Jimmy Clausen or Jake Locker this year. Lions fans hated the idea of Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford. Falcons fans (although not the #1 pick) did not want Matt Ryan.

Why do you not want your team to draft the most important position on the field? The guy touches it every offensive snap unless your head coach is an idiot (see Tony Sparano*...).

Who thought Minnesota's WRs were worth anything at the beginning of the year? (Other than Vikings homers). With Brett Favre, they look almost uncoverable.

With Drew Brees, his receivers in deed are uncoverable (provided your coach wears a hoodie with the sleeves cut to half length :().

"Please don't give me Jimmy Clausen. I'd rather have Leigh Tiffin."

* = I don't think Sparano is an idiot per se, but he has a young and talented QB that needs to develop. Playing around with a wildcat system while he sucks out valuable time from his developing QB screws with the rhythm and confidence of Chad Henne, which I think is idiotic.

If you listen to the Patriots talk about their feelings about Brady, it's almost mind bending how they let him fall to the 6th round. Here's the clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...eals-Tom-Brady (@ 2:15 the part that I'm referring to starts)
    This post is about a year too late. The top 5 offensive teams have a 41-8 record this year while the top 5 defensive teams only have a 31-24 record. It has finally become quite obvious even to the casual fan that QB's rule the modern game. GM's have held the golden rule since the beginning and especially in the cap era. All you have to do is examine how many QB's have gone #1 overall to realize it is only fans that doubted taking a QB #1 overall, GM's have always done it with only a few exceptions.
    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr......a few reasons not to draft a QB too early.

Comment

Oh, I remember the days of Falcons fans BEGGING for Glenn Dorsey over Matt Ryan... :)
        Scott Wright, President
        Draft Countdown.com
        www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
        www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, David Carr......a few reasons not to draft a QB too early.
          There is no such thing as a safe pick. You have to actually know how to scout and work them out.

edit: Fans still do it this year. I think they'll still do it next year.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

IMO there are two reasons not to draft a QB with the top pick. The team's O-Line is too awful and he will get killed, or he isn't that good of a prospect.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
            <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
            <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
            <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

Chances are one of these 3(or2) Qbs is going to be good, and the other 2 may flop or not live up to potential. Id much rather draft Suh than one of these Qbs right now

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Unless you all ready have the pieces in place there is a good chance you are just setting you're QB up to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepThreat View Post
                  IMO there are two reasons not to draft a QB with the top pick. The team's O-Line is too awful and he will get killed, or he isn't that good of a prospect.
                  If your OL can't support a QB, then you use your second pick to get an OL. And third and fourth if you have to. QBs change franchises.

As great of a player as Ndamukong Suh might become, unless he becomes the next Warren Sapp, he won't be in the ball park of importance with drafting a franchise changing QB. Even if he becomes Albert Haynesworth who is arguably the best DT in the game. Ed Reed is great, but that defense has Ray Lewis. It won the Super Bowl before Reed got there. How many Super Bowls has Reed won? None. Joe Thomas is among the best LTs in the NFL. Cleveland isn't exactly even in the playoff talk past week 2.

Name a team that drafted a franchise QB and in 3 years isn't at least making the playoffs. I mean you can look above for examples of great DTs, OT, and S that didn't get their team to the playoffs on their own (although Tennessee certainly misses Albert). I mean, I guess you could say Jay Cutler, who had nothing on defense which didn't matter how good he was or wasn't. Other than a team that is devoid on defense, I can't think of a good QB that didn't make their team much much better.

You're right, if you can't find a single franchise defining QB in the draft, you wouldn't take him #1... but I will be shocked the day a draft class doesn't have one good QB in it.

Many of the positions just don't have that much of a difference between a mid round prospect and a first round prospect. I mean if you take Golden Tate as a first rounder and Jordan Shipley as a 3rd rounder, which do you think Peyton Manning would be successful with?

I know some people would be shocked, but if my QB coach and OC came up to me and said Tim Tebow is the perfect fit for our system, he'd be #1 overall if I had the pick. There are positions I'd consider waiting if the player didn't have value to other teams, but not a QB. If I don't have a QB and I saw one I thought would change my franchise around, he'd be on the phone with me the second they called my teams name. (This isn't about Tebow, he's just an example.)
                  **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                    Unless you all ready have the pieces in place there is a good chance you are just setting you're QB up to fail.
                    How many first rounders are you giving up for Pierre Garcon though? I mean, I really have to wonder how the Colts got such a talented guy in the 6th round. Then they have that Austin Collie guy... and some monster named Tom Santi. Oh and have you see Tony Ugoh at LT?

I know Peyton Manning is a rare find, but that's the caliber of guys you are trying to get in round 1.

Donovan McNabb was throwing to Freddie Mitchell at one point. How he survived that I don't know.

Tom Brady's top two WRs at one point (maybe not statistically, I don't know those off the top of my head) were and "old" Troy Brown and Reche Caldwell.

Sure, you get David Carrs and Joey Harringtons and Jamarcus Russells, but you get Robert Gallerys, Glenn Dorseys, and other busts at other positions too. Any position without talent around it is a potential failure.
                    **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                      Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan....... a few reasons TO draft a QB early.

Comment

A lot of Lion's fans here supported drafting Matthew Stafford and made fun of the people giving us Curry.

Comment

I'm sorry but the Peyton Manning type QBs are few and far between. You're definitely not going to be as lucky as the Colts were. Hell, you remember that draft. You could just as easily get a Ryan Leaf over a Peyton Manning. How many experts thought Leaf should have been taken over Manning in the first place?

I'm not saying you don't draft a QB in the top 5, but you better love the guy if you do, especially if you're a team with a weak offensive line. Like Splat said, you're going to get him killed back there.

Also, I remember a lot of Lions fans on this board who WANTED Stafford #1 overall and I think it has worked out well so far. Yeah, the team overall isn't very talented but this last draft was NUTS for starters there. Imagine that team with another draft or two under its belt. For now though, they need people to protect him to really reach his full potential. I'm kind of surprised they started him over Culpepper. Letting Culpepper get killed behind that line while Stafford learns is the route I thought they'd take.
                          Last edited by vidae; 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM.

Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I'm going to be extremely disappointed if we don't leave round 1 with Locker or Clausen.

Comment

as a Rams fan I really don't want to draft a QB with a top 3 pick

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information