Taylor Mays Before/After

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Mays Before/After

So before the season, everyone had him pegged at going to Oakland in the top 10. Now...not so much. He had a poor season and really didn't answer any questions about his on field ability. Three questions:

Where is his stock right now?

Where will his stock be if he does measure in at 6'3 220-230lbs and runs 4.27?

Where will his stock be if he only measures in at 6'3 220-230lbs and runs 4.45?
    Last edited by foozball; 12-17-2009, 12:37 AM.

I have read from multiple outlets who contacted scouts, GM's etc, that they would be surprised if he is a top 15 pick. I know the measurables are there, but alot of people don't see him with the incredible stock he had a year ago.

Now when the Raiders pick all bets are off, but I'll see if this holds true or not.

The sources I came across saw him as a mid 1st rounder at best now that people have broken down plenty of film on him, I don't think he's a bad player, but I think going back to school has shown he isn't a top 10 player IMO no matter how big or fast he is.

I know there are alot of Mays fans here and rightfully so, he's not a terrible player, but for the life of me I have not seen one thing to prove he should be a top 10 pick other then be big and run fast. If there were some other attributes he possesses to make that be true I'd love to know what they are so I can look for them next time.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Theres no way Mays is going to Oakland

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
      @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Personally, I don't think my opinions changed at all.

This was the year that was going to define Mays. He asked to be used in a wider variety than in previous year, to play more at the line, to go in man coverage more, etc. And it's largely been underwhelming (at best). Then again, when we were having this discussion 6 months ago and people were saying that he was big and fast enough to expand his game beyond the way USC used him his junior year, I voiced my doubts. For me, Mays is what Mays has always been. He's a good centerfielder who can use his size and strength paired with his speed to become one of the better deep range free safeties in the NFL. He's not a strong safety, nor is he a linebacker. Whether he's got a good enough head on his shoulders to fulfill his potential as a free safety is something I have no real idea about, but he played the role well enough as a sophomore and junior.

Mays is what he is, and his expanded role this year at USC I would say has proved to be too much. He's never been a guy I considered a top 10 pick, but I do think that if he can grow into the deep cover role in the NFL, he easily warrants being picked in the 11-25 range.

Comment

Prove us guys that said he wasn't a natural playmaker correct.
          Originally posted by SNIPER26
          fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Ohh wait...I have another question: what happens if he DOESN'T measure out as advertised? Say...4.45 area?

Comment

Shows that it's usually a mistake to return to school when you're a projected Top 15 pick or so..

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                I said the same thing about DHB haha

Comment

That's fine. I hope he falls to New Orleans.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    I said the same thing about DHB haha
                    Oakland needed a wide receiver though. I thought Heyward-Bey was a totally feasible (if totally crappy) route for Oakland. With Branch, Huff, and Mitchell (all three Al Davis picks within the last four years) on the team, it's hard to see them targeting another safety that early, no matter how much people think Mays meets some sort of Oakland standard. Branch isn't playing half bad either.

Comment

He will run around 4.45 and would look good with a star on his helmet. Not as good as Berry of course, but the football Gods hate me and that will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                        Prove us guys that said he wasn't a natural playmaker correct.
                        +1

One of the most overrated prospects in a while...no offense to him since I'm sure he's a decent guy and all that.

Now that said, I would not mind him falling to the Jets so that he's one of the possible choices. In the 2nd... I prefer Nate Allen.
                        Last edited by SenorGato; 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Raiders fans who say no chance are delusional. If he runs 4.27 (or 3.97 by Al's watch), He'll trade whoever stops him from drafting Mays.

If he runs 4.35 or higher, then I think you take him off of the Raiders board. There just are not that many elite prospects that fit the Raiders needs and the Raiders wants. Carlos Dunlap, Bruce Campbell, Joe Haden, and Taylor Mays are the top 4 in my opinion. Ryan Mallett could sneak in to the 5th role, but he lacks mobility that Al wants.
                          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by foozball View Post
                            So before the season, everyone had him pegged at going to Oakland in the top 10. Now...not so much. He had a poor season and really didn't answer any questions about his on field ability. Three questions:

Where is his stock right now?

Where will his stock be if he does measure in at 6'3 220-230lbs and runs 4.27?

Where will his stock be if he only measures in at 6'3 220-230lbs and runs 4.45?
                            I've had him going to Seattle at 8 for awhile now (certainly see that with Locker not being available) and Scott seems to agree. 8 is higher than the 10th pick.

He didnt have a good season, by who's standards?. To me he played better than last year/

The guy is a big safety and he can fly, watch the film. There isnt going to be some big revelation at the combine where his physical ability should be on display.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderNation View Post
                              did you guys not say the same thing about Heyward-Bey last year?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information