12/17 - Mock Draft Updated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/17 - Mock Draft Updated!

I just posted a new mock draft, which is the fourth of the year. This will in all likelihood be the last update until after the deadline for underclassmen to declare in the middle of January.

You can view it via the main page:

2010 Mock Draft - v.4.0
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

FIRE AWAY! :)
    Last edited by Scott Wright; 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM.
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

I knew there was a reason I stayed up so late!

Can't complain about McCoy to the Lions. Bradford #1 is surprising though. Do you really think McCoy could get drafted ahead of Suh?
    Last edited by WMD; 12-17-2009, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Quick thoughts before I pass out...

I think the disparity between Suh and Bradford is much greater than the gap between Dorsey and Ryan was and that will make it much harder for St. Louis to pass on Suh, but you may be right about them going for a quarterback. I'd just be a bit surprised if it's Bradford.

I'm not sold that the Redskins feel the same way about Campbell as they felt during the offseason. Obviously, we'll know when they either resign him or not, but he's played well enough to change some minds.

Pierre-Paul is a interesting pick for the Raiders. I agree that the Oakland pick will likely be a defensive lineman and I also agree that with McCoy and Suh off the board, that defensive lineman will likely be viewed as a reach. I'm just not sure it'll be a defensive end. Someone like Marvin Austin would be right in Davis' wheelhouse.

Does the Florida connection really make the Tebow pick worth it. Because I can't see him going that high.

Other than that, at a quick glance everything looks solid.

Comment

-Sam Bradford, I see him having far too many question marks to be the first player off the board. In fact, I won't be shocked if he doesn't even go in the first round. I also think Suh may be too good to pass up. He seems like one of those can't miss prospects.

-Gerald McCoy, I think I like this pick to the Lions. I think most just automatically put Okung there figuring a LT for Stafford makes sense. I don't really think Backus has been all that bad. McCoy is the better value, but the DT class is a lot deeper. They might have to flip a coin in this scenario.

-Jason Pierre-Paul, I know it's the Raiders but I don't know about this one. Do you think they will ever learn?

-Taylor Mays, just seems like his stock has plummeted. I think he could be an in the box SS somewhat in the mold of Troy Polamalu, but a projection like that is pretty lofty and risky to take that high. I absolutely don't think he'll be a FS.

-Trent Williams, at #13? I think he's absolutely not a LT prospect and maybe not even a RT prospect. He might wind up playing guard. I think he goes in the 2nd round. Still might be a 49er though.

-Arrelious Benn, is it just me or is he similar to Heyward-Bey. Great athlete, he should put a show on at the combine. But what type of football player is he? Similar to DHB last year, you could turn on an Illinois game and maybe not even notice him. I realize the QB was an issue, but so was Reggie Ball when he was throwing to Calvin Johnson.

-Terrance Cody, I think there are too many 3-4 teams passing on Cody in this mock. Nose tackle is such a vital position to the 3-4, and there just aren't many NT prospects out there.

-Anthony Davis, I think he goes a lot higher. Swap him for Trent Williams and I think you have a more likely scenario.

-Patrick Robinson, entered the season as many scouts top CB. I think his mediocre play has killed his stock. Mid 2nd is the highest I see him going baring a rebound during the off season.

-Jared Odrick, might be this years Tyson Jackson. I think he's a top 15 prospect for any sceme but his ability to play DE in a 3-4 I think will earn him a big payday.

Comment

Scott, I love the 49er and Saints picks. You are right on the money with them so far this year. The only way I see the 49ers not drafting Williams or Hayden is if for some odd reason;
          a)Berry falls to us and b) Williams just stinks up the combine.

As for the Weatherspoon pick, I really hope he is there at #32
          (I know that was a typo, right :) )
          If not, I see Brian Price or maybe Everson Griffen as a possibility.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

clausen to the skins scares the crap out of me. the skins arent that far away from being a playoff team and drafting/paying a top 10 qb will set us back farther than necessary. reaching on an OT is possible but id prefer a trade back in that scenario. other guys that could be good fits would be mcclain, haden, or spiller.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
              clausen to the skins scares the crap out of me. the skins arent that far away from being a playoff team and drafting/paying a top 10 qb will set us back farther than necessary. reaching on an OT is possible but id prefer a trade back in that scenario. other guys that could be good fits would be mcclain, haden, or spiller.
              McClain would be a nice pick to go along with last years 1st round pick Brian Orakpo. Nice pair of young LB's. London Fletcher is still solid, but he has to be getting near the end. McClain could really benefit from a season learning from Fletcher.

Comment

The one pick that caught me by surprise was the Steelers' pick because of all their woes in the secondary I thought it would be a lock that they would go corner. Then I realized that since Haden came off the board the pick before there was no value for justifying another corner that early.

If the Raiders decide to keep Ellis around for one more year then I would be a big fan of the JPP selection. The team would have depth at the position to survive a season or two, while JPP continues to work into his immense potential, which is by far the greatest of any defensive end that should be available. I would go as far as saying that on potential alone he is one of the five or six best players in this class. A classic Raider pick indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Day One Pick View Post
                  McClain would be a nice pick to go along with last years 1st round pick Brian Orakpo. Nice pair of young LB's. London Fletcher is still solid, but he has to be getting near the end. McClain could really benefit from a season learning from Fletcher.
                  Actually the primary benefit would be moving orakpo more to de as a full time job. when he lines up with his hand on the ground he has been unblockable. mcintosh has been amazing this year and hopefully will be a key player in our defense for a long time. you are right that working with fletcher would really do wonders for mcclain. fletcher is probably one of the most under appreciated team leaders and field generals in the nfl.

Comment

pretty much agreee ^

Comment

Actually the primary benefit would be moving orakpo more to de as a full time job. when he lines up with his hand on the ground he has been unblockable. mcintosh has been amazing this year and hopefully will be a key player in our defense for a long time. you are right that working with fletcher would really do wonders for mcclain. fletcher is probably one of the most under appreciated team leaders and field generals in the nfl.
                      I see. Speaking of McIntosh, I've always liked him and felt he was pretty underrated.

Comment

If Jerry Hughes drops out of the first, the Niners better trade up immediately and get him.
                        The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Does any fan of a team who gets a QB in a mock draft really like it?

That observation aside....

Suh is going to be really, really, really tough for someone to pass on, especially for one of the QBs in Bradford or Clausen, neither of whom I really consider can't miss guys. It's going to be real interesting if the Rams end up #1 overall.

And does anyone know, if both the Rams and Bucs lose out, do the Rams for sure get to pick ahead of them? If not, the Bucs would definitely make it real easy on the Rams and take Suh right out of the equation...

Comment

Wouldn't mind the Packers pick at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                              The one pick that caught me by surprise was the Steelers' pick because of all their woes in the secondary I thought it would be a lock that they would go corner. Then I realized that since Haden came off the board the pick before there was no value for justifying another corner that early.

If the Raiders decide to keep Ellis around for one more year then I would be a big fan of the JPP selection. The team would have depth at the position to survive a season or two, while JPP continues to work into his immense potential, which is by far the greatest of any defensive end that should be available. I would go as far as saying that on potential alone he is one of the five or six best players in this class. A classic Raider pick indeed.
                              No position is a lock for the Steelers in the first round. It's BPA that fits a need. In this case Spiller meets that criteria. The accuracy of this pick would just depend on how thier board is stacked. I actually think the pick would be Terrance Cody or Anthony Davis based on this mock.

I expect the Steelers board at this point would look something like this. Real simple, the best player on the board is the choice.

1 Eric Berry, SS/CB, Tennessee*
                              2 Ndamukong Suh, DT/DE, Nebraska
                              3 Gerald McCoy, DT/DE, Oklahoma*
                              4 Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
                              5 Rolando McClain, ILB/OLB, Alabama*
                              6 Joe Haden, CB, Florida*
                              7 Terrence Cody, DT/NT, Alabama
                              8 Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers*
                              9 C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
                              10 Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
                              11 Dan Williams, DT/NT, Tennessee
                              12 Jared Odrick, DT/DE, Penn State
                              13 Earl Thomas, SS/CB, Texas#
                              TRADE DOWN IN THE FIRST ROUND
                              14 Mike Iupati, OG/OT, Idaho
                              15 Jahvid Best, RB, California*
                              16 Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland*
                              17 Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida*
                              18 Jason Fox, OT, Miami
                              19 Morgan Burnett, SS, Georgia Tech*
                              20 Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida*
                              TRADE OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND
                              21 Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan*
                              22 Trent Williams, OT/OG, Oklahoma
                              23 Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State
                              24 Chad Jones, SS/FS, Louisiana State*
                              25 Arthur Jones, DT/DE, Syracuse
                              26 Vince Oghobaase, DT/DE, Duke
                              27 John Asamoah, OG, Illinois
                              28 Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
                              29 Charles Brown, OT, Southern California
                              30 Eric Norwood, OLB/ILB, South Carolina
                              31 Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
                              32 Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky
                              TRADE DOWN IN THE SECOND ROUND
                              33 Reshad Jones, FS, Georgia*
                              34 Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
                              35 Nate Allen, FS, South Florida
                              36 Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State*
                              37 Major Wright, FS, Florida*
                              38 Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia*
                              TRADE OUT OF THE SECOND ROUND
                              39 Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California
                              40 Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
                              41 Allen Bailey, DT/DE, Miami
                              42 Joe McKnight, RB, Southern California*
                              43 Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
                              44 Darrell Stuckey, SS/FS, Kansas
                              45 DeAndre McDaniel, SS, Clemson*
                              46 Sergio Render, OG, Virginia Tech
                              47 Kam Chancellor, FS, Virginia Tech
                              48 Sam Young, OT/OG, Notre Dame
                              49 Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa*
                              50 Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
                              Last edited by Day One Pick; 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information