Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me or is this QB class not real strong at the top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it me or is this QB class not real strong at the top

    But kinda deep in the middle of the pack.

    I'm not 100% sold on Clausen or Bradford for different reasons.

    1...I wonder if Clausen has the arm strength and decision making abilities to be a top of the draft QB. I think he'll be a good QB...but I just can't see myself spending the money at the top of the draft to take him.

    As for Bradford...I guess the same issues arise not to mention the injury concern

    The next two years have some major question marks at QB. in 2011 you have Locker and Snead as the top QB's and they aren't QB's you think of as "Franchise" guys.

  • #2
    This is why I always laughed at people last year bemoaning the "weak" QB draft class. Stafford would have been the first QB off the board if he came out this year and likely would have been drafted before Matt Ryan if he (assuming he was a junior that year) came out in 2008.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd say Locker and Mallett are the top 2 for next year. I'm not sold on Clausen either, decision making, leadership, maturity, are things he needs to work on.

      Bradford's injury does scare me a bit but he's really the only Quarterback in the draft that I see as a for sure successful starting NFL Quarterback in the future. Tony Pike would be 2nd on my list.

      Comment


      • #4
        I mean...I do believe that Clausen and Bradford will be good QB's...but to me nothing really screams out "star" with these guys.

        With Stafford last year...he had the big arm and decent size in the pocket...so i understood the hype around him...but Bradford has the injury concern. That's the one thing that concerns me. And for Clausen...I just wonder if he has the arm strength. Plus at time the last few years he seemed for force passes and got bailed out by Tate.

        If I'm the Rams...I would really have to consider going with Suh and seeing if you can get another QB later in the draft that makes sense financially. Unless Bradford just lights it up at the combine

        A guy who I think is gonna be a sleeper in this class is LeFeveour (sp?) from Central Michigan. Good size, good arm, and can move in the pocket. 3rd or 4th round value.
        Last edited by dansaint; 12-24-2009, 12:51 AM. Reason: addining info

        Comment


        • #5
          IDK what you're talking about in 2011, that class is stacked. Jacory Harris might not have the ideal build but we've seen him run a pro-style offense with poise, he is accurate and he has a strong arm. He makes the reads necessary in the NFL, he has a good feel for the pocket and is super clutch. Robert Griffin III is the most electric QB since Vick and is the best mobile QB prospect since VY except Griffin is arguably better. Christian Ponder is like Drew Brees, he can read a defense, can throw the ball accurately and he is extremely intelligent and he can throw some gems on the field. Jevan Snead while inconsistent and mistake prone is a good prospect, especially if he can improve in 2010 because he has the arm strength and mobility to be very good and he can throw some of the prettiest deep balls you'll ever see on occasion. Ryan Mallett is a little bit like Snead, Mallet is the ideal QB physically, he is tall and has a ROCKET arm and he will throw some of the best balls you will ever see at least a couple times a game, but then he'll follow that up by overthrowing a guy or throwing it so hard the guy can't catch it, granted he has little help but still. Then there is Jerrod Johnson who is extremely gifted, strong arm, is tall, strong frame and he can run in many ways he might remind some of Dante Cullpepper, and he is better mentally than Jamarcus Russell.

          Then there are some other guys like Nick Foles, Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor and Dayne Crist.

          2011 will be sick.

          2010 is alright, if Bradford heals up correctly and learns an NFL offense than he can be really good because mentally Bradford is great. Clausen IMO is the ideal NFL QB with his mix of skills. He has learned from a head coach who has won 3 super bowls as an offensive coordinator. Clausen plays in a pro-style offense, the same style of offense that led Tom Brady to three super bowl titles. He has the size of an NFL QB at 6’3” and nearly 230 pounds. Clausen possesses more than adequate arm strength and accuracy. His mechanics are flawless, which will help speed the transition to the NFL because he won’t have to worry about fundamentals, instead he can focus on learning the offense. Clausen also plays in a pro-style offense, which means that he makes reads, he goes through the progressions, takes more snaps from center and he has better footwork than his peers from the spread offense. He obviously has a good feel for the pocket, he is side stepping pressure, stepping up in the pocket and putting himself in position to make better throws instead of being stationary in the pocket, which will help a rookie QB greatly especially considering he will likely be facing a lot of pressure if drafted highly. Clausen has a better arm than McCoy and is more accurate than Snead and he can move in the pocket, his mechanics are nice (better than Tebow's and Snead's) and more importantly he plays in a Pro-Style offense unlike Tebow and McCoy. And, in addition he has proven he has ice in his veins, he led the Irish on a comeback against Michigan, but the defense blew it. He led a comeback victory against Purdue and he led an overtime win against Washington. He has proven he is cool, calm and collected in crunch time and that he has the respect of his teammates and a clear grasp on the offense. Clausen is the total package, physically and mentally.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            IDK what you're talking about in 2011, that class is stacked. Jacory Harris might not have the ideal build but we've seen him run a pro-style offense with poise, he is accurate and he has a strong arm. He makes the reads necessary in the NFL, he has a good feel for the pocket and is super clutch. Robert Griffin III is the most electric QB since Vick and is the best mobile QB prospect since VY except Griffin is arguably better. Christian Ponder is like Drew Brees, he can read a defense, can throw the ball accurately and he is extremely intelligent and he can throw some gems on the field. Jevan Snead while inconsistent and mistake prone is a good prospect, especially if he can improve in 2010 because he has the arm strength and mobility to be very good and he can throw some of the prettiest deep balls you'll ever see on occasion. Ryan Mallett is a little bit like Snead, Mallet is the ideal QB physically, he is tall and has a ROCKET arm and he will throw some of the best balls you will ever see at least a couple times a game, but then he'll follow that up by overthrowing a guy or throwing it so hard the guy can't catch it, granted he has little help but still. Then there is Jerrod Johnson who is extremely gifted, strong arm, is tall, strong frame and he can run in many ways he might remind some of Dante Cullpepper, and he is better mentally than Jamarcus Russell.

            Then there are some other guys like Nick Foles, Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor and Dayne Crist.

            2011 will be sick.

            2010 is alright, if Bradford heals up correctly and learns an NFL offense than he can be really good because mentally Bradford is great. Clausen IMO is the ideal NFL QB with his mix of skills. He has learned from a head coach who has won 3 super bowls as an offensive coordinator. Clausen plays in a pro-style offense, the same style of offense that led Tom Brady to three super bowl titles. He has the size of an NFL QB at 6’3” and nearly 230 pounds. Clausen possesses more than adequate arm strength and accuracy. His mechanics are flawless, which will help speed the transition to the NFL because he won’t have to worry about fundamentals, instead he can focus on learning the offense. Clausen also plays in a pro-style offense, which means that he makes reads, he goes through the progressions, takes more snaps from center and he has better footwork than his peers from the spread offense. He obviously has a good feel for the pocket, he is side stepping pressure, stepping up in the pocket and putting himself in position to make better throws instead of being stationary in the pocket, which will help a rookie QB greatly especially considering he will likely be facing a lot of pressure if drafted highly. Clausen has a better arm than McCoy and is more accurate than Snead and he can move in the pocket, his mechanics are nice (better than Tebow's and Snead's) and more importantly he plays in a Pro-Style offense unlike Tebow and McCoy. And, in addition he has proven he has ice in his veins, he led the Irish on a comeback against Michigan, but the defense blew it. He led a comeback victory against Purdue and he led an overtime win against Washington. He has proven he is cool, calm and collected in crunch time and that he has the respect of his teammates and a clear grasp on the offense. Clausen is the total package, physically and mentally.
            Did you know Jimmy Clausen comes from a Pro Style offense?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thumper View Post
              IDK what you're talking about in 2011, that class is stacked. Jacory Harris might not have the ideal build but we've seen him run a pro-style offense with poise, he is accurate and he has a strong arm. He makes the reads necessary in the NFL, he has a good feel for the pocket and is super clutch. Robert Griffin III is the most electric QB since Vick and is the best mobile QB prospect since VY except Griffin is arguably better. Christian Ponder is like Drew Brees, he can read a defense, can throw the ball accurately and he is extremely intelligent and he can throw some gems on the field. Jevan Snead while inconsistent and mistake prone is a good prospect, especially if he can improve in 2010 because he has the arm strength and mobility to be very good and he can throw some of the prettiest deep balls you'll ever see on occasion. Ryan Mallett is a little bit like Snead, Mallet is the ideal QB physically, he is tall and has a ROCKET arm and he will throw some of the best balls you will ever see at least a couple times a game, but then he'll follow that up by overthrowing a guy or throwing it so hard the guy can't catch it, granted he has little help but still. Then there is Jerrod Johnson who is extremely gifted, strong arm, is tall, strong frame and he can run in many ways he might remind some of Dante Cullpepper, and he is better mentally than Jamarcus Russell.

              Then there are some other guys like Nick Foles, Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor and Dayne Crist.

              2011 will be sick.

              2010 is alright, if Bradford heals up correctly and learns an NFL offense than he can be really good because mentally Bradford is great. Clausen IMO is the ideal NFL QB with his mix of skills. He has learned from a head coach who has won 3 super bowls as an offensive coordinator. Clausen plays in a pro-style offense, the same style of offense that led Tom Brady to three super bowl titles. He has the size of an NFL QB at 6’3” and nearly 230 pounds. Clausen possesses more than adequate arm strength and accuracy. His mechanics are flawless, which will help speed the transition to the NFL because he won’t have to worry about fundamentals, instead he can focus on learning the offense. Clausen also plays in a pro-style offense, which means that he makes reads, he goes through the progressions, takes more snaps from center and he has better footwork than his peers from the spread offense. He obviously has a good feel for the pocket, he is side stepping pressure, stepping up in the pocket and putting himself in position to make better throws instead of being stationary in the pocket, which will help a rookie QB greatly especially considering he will likely be facing a lot of pressure if drafted highly. Clausen has a better arm than McCoy and is more accurate than Snead and he can move in the pocket, his mechanics are nice (better than Tebow's and Snead's) and more importantly he plays in a Pro-Style offense unlike Tebow and McCoy. And, in addition he has proven he has ice in his veins, he led the Irish on a comeback against Michigan, but the defense blew it. He led a comeback victory against Purdue and he led an overtime win against Washington. He has proven he is cool, calm and collected in crunch time and that he has the respect of his teammates and a clear grasp on the offense. Clausen is the total package, physically and mentally.
              Good insight. I am leery of the thin build QB's like Harris because you wonder if they can hold up day in and day out under center. And with Griffin...maybe this is just me...but I'm kind of scared of the real mobile QB's because they tend to think they can just run for the 1st down instead of reading the routes.

              You tend to really know the Southern QB scene a whole lot better than I do so i'll bow to your knowledge there my friend!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StorminNorman View Post
                Did you know Jimmy Clausen comes from a Pro Style offense?
                I think I mentioned that a few times lol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                  IDK what you're talking about in 2011, that class is stacked. Jacory Harris might not have the ideal build but we've seen him run a pro-style offense with poise, he is accurate and he has a strong arm. He makes the reads necessary in the NFL, he has a good feel for the pocket and is super clutch. Robert Griffin III is the most electric QB since Vick and is the best mobile QB prospect since VY except Griffin is arguably better. Christian Ponder is like Drew Brees, he can read a defense, can throw the ball accurately and he is extremely intelligent and he can throw some gems on the field. Jevan Snead while inconsistent and mistake prone is a good prospect, especially if he can improve in 2010 because he has the arm strength and mobility to be very good and he can throw some of the prettiest deep balls you'll ever see on occasion. Ryan Mallett is a little bit like Snead, Mallet is the ideal QB physically, he is tall and has a ROCKET arm and he will throw some of the best balls you will ever see at least a couple times a game, but then he'll follow that up by overthrowing a guy or throwing it so hard the guy can't catch it, granted he has little help but still. Then there is Jerrod Johnson who is extremely gifted, strong arm, is tall, strong frame and he can run in many ways he might remind some of Dante Cullpepper, and he is better mentally than Jamarcus Russell.

                  Then there are some other guys like Nick Foles, Blaine Gabbert, Terelle Pryor and Dayne Crist.

                  2011 will be sick.

                  2010 is alright, if Bradford heals up correctly and learns an NFL offense than he can be really good because mentally Bradford is great. Clausen IMO is the ideal NFL QB with his mix of skills. He has learned from a head coach who has won 3 super bowls as an offensive coordinator. Clausen plays in a pro-style offense, the same style of offense that led Tom Brady to three super bowl titles. He has the size of an NFL QB at 6’3” and nearly 230 pounds. Clausen possesses more than adequate arm strength and accuracy. His mechanics are flawless, which will help speed the transition to the NFL because he won’t have to worry about fundamentals, instead he can focus on learning the offense. Clausen also plays in a pro-style offense, which means that he makes reads, he goes through the progressions, takes more snaps from center and he has better footwork than his peers from the spread offense. He obviously has a good feel for the pocket, he is side stepping pressure, stepping up in the pocket and putting himself in position to make better throws instead of being stationary in the pocket, which will help a rookie QB greatly especially considering he will likely be facing a lot of pressure if drafted highly. Clausen has a better arm than McCoy and is more accurate than Snead and he can move in the pocket, his mechanics are nice (better than Tebow's and Snead's) and more importantly he plays in a Pro-Style offense unlike Tebow and McCoy. And, in addition he has proven he has ice in his veins, he led the Irish on a comeback against Michigan, but the defense blew it. He led a comeback victory against Purdue and he led an overtime win against Washington. He has proven he is cool, calm and collected in crunch time and that he has the respect of his teammates and a clear grasp on the offense. Clausen is the total package, physically and mentally.
                  Guy you might want to keep an eye on for the 2011 draft is Jake Locker from the U of Wash. Check him out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Personally, I think the 2010 QB class is weak from top to bottom

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                      Personally, I think the 2010 QB class is weak from top to bottom
                      I was about to say

                      or the middle....or the bottom

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                        I'd say Locker and Mallett are the top 2 for next year. I'm not sold on Clausen either, decision making, leadership, maturity, are things he needs to work on.
                        You keep saying that you question Clausen's leadership, except that his team raves about him. That seems like a leader to me.

                        Also, what decision making issues do you see with Clausen? He throws away the ball more than most college quarterbacks and only threw 4 interceptions. Seems like for the most part he made good decisions.

                        Maturity is a very understandable critique because of the way he came into college as he came in as a cocky and brazen human being. It seems like he has toned it down and has a great work ethic. The best example is flying out Golden Tate and Michael Floyd to California with him to work everyday on routes and timing. Another critique that I think does not get brought up enough is that you would have to deal with the Clausen family. They are far more an issue than Jimmy himself. Also, I think that he doesn't always have the best ball placement on the short throws are to a place that gets the receiver out of stride.

                        Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                          You keep saying that you question Clausen's leadership, except that his team raves about him. That seems like a leader to me.

                          Also, what decision making issues do you see with Clausen? He throws away the ball more than most college quarterbacks and only threw 4 interceptions. Seems like for the most part he made good decisions.

                          Maturity is a very understandable critique because of the way he came into college as he came in as a cocky and brazen human being. It seems like he has toned it down and has a great work ethic. The best example is flying out Golden Tate and Michael Floyd to California with him to work everyday on routes and timing. Another critique that I think does not get brought up enough is that you would have to deal with the Clausen family. They are far more an issue than Jimmy himself. Also, I think that he doesn't always have the best ball placement on the short throws are to a place that gets the receiver out of stride.
                          Not to speak for Holt Bruce but he's probably thinking Jimmy in terms of the top pick, i wouldnt take him there. He should be gone within the top half dozen picks though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The main question I have on Clausen is that is he a one hit wonder? At the beginning of the year he was considered a 2 or 3rd round pick.
                            The Denver Broncos Select...



                            ...Hopefully

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              this QB class is poo. No Jake Locker and probably no Ryan Mallett makes it super poo. Bradford has a pretty good ceiling, but he has a lot of big big risk factors right now from the arm to the injury to the college offense to the durability/toughness.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information