Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting thoughts on this year's QB crop

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ch-browns-more

I strongly suspect Tennessee will trade down from the #1 spot to a team wanting Wentz and that Wentz will therefore go #1 overall.
    And proud of it!!!

Every QB in this draft sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
      Every QB in this draft sucks.
      I think that is too strong a statement. Wenyz could easily go #1 overall and the only knock on him is his competition level. His arm is 1st class, he gets high marks for his abilities and his intangibles are off the charts.

Give him a couple of years in the NFL and watch out.

Lynch has it all too except the competition level and I think he could become a decent NFL QB.
      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
        http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ch-browns-more

I strongly suspect Tennessee will trade down from the #1 spot to a team wanting Wentz and that Wentz will therefore go #1 overall.

Can't see it not being Goff if there is a trade up. He's just too far superior a prospect. I suspect Wentz has an Aaron Rodgers like slide. Philly might stop that though.

Comment

Some teams fall in love with arm strength. Doubt Wentz would fall that far. Most of the media and pundits prefer Wentz, but I do agree that Goff is better prospect. After a certain point, extra arm strength is overrated. The best QBs in the NFL didn't have super strong arms as prospects.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, didn't have huge arms. Newton does, you'd have to go back a long way to find a big armed MVP QB before him, a long way. Brady and Rodgers did improve arm strength as pros. This is biggest myth, that QBs can't improve arm strength even though history shows they can.

Comment

I disagree, I think Wentz is the real deal. He is more than just a strong armed QB. His intangibles are off the charts and while it may take a couple of years to adjust to higher competition, he will develope into a very solid franchise QB and I fully expect some team to trade up with Tennessee to acquire his rights.
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Is there anyone who gets paid to analyze Draft prospects that doesn't like Wentz? He seems to be universally liked among everyone I've seen, other than some fans, who don't always appear to really know much about him.

Comment

Wentz is Chad Henne to me. He has upside where he could become Carson Palmer(probably non Arians Carson Palmer fwiw), but he's been overrated. He threw only 600 passes in college, the competition level is a concern, he played on a team that was relatively loaded compared to its competition, his team chose to be a run first offense despite his all world talents, at a division 2 school. His accuracy on deep balls was very poor statistically and he is slow to go through reads, and basically has never gone past a 2nd read in his life. He has a lot to learn and adjust to in terms of speed of the game and running a pro style offense IMO. Counting on this kid to start any time soon is a major mistake IMO. I think he has a Quinn/Rodgers/Geno type slide on draft day. Somone like the Jets will end up with him later in the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Nastradamus View Post
                  Wentz is Chad Henne to me. He has upside where he could become Carson Palmer(probably non Arians Carson Palmer fwiw), but he's been overrated. He threw only 600 passes in college, the competition level is a concern, he played on a team that was relatively loaded compared to its competition, his team chose to be a run first offense despite his all world talents, at a division 2 school. His accuracy on deep balls was very poor statistically and he is slow to go through reads, and basically has never gone past a 2nd read in his life. He has a lot to learn and adjust to in terms of speed of the game and running a pro style offense IMO. Counting on this kid to start any time soon is a major mistake IMO. I think he has a Quinn/Rodgers/Geno type slide on draft day. Somone like the Jets will end up with him later in the 1st.

I have to disagree. I do agree that the level of competition is a question mark and that teams will have to use the postseason to judge him, but the talent to be a franchise QB is definitely there and I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go #1 overall come draft day. Quinn and Geno were never ranked as high as some draftniks had them and Rodgers was a Tedford product with huge mechanical problems, who was lucky enough to get 3 years riding the bench to correct those problems.

Wentz may fail, it will definitely be a gamble to draft a guy that high from such a small school , Flacco is the only comparison for success you can make and those low odds will scare teams, but the fact he ranks so high given all that, just speaks volumes to me about how good his postseason performances have been and how much raw talent, GM's, HC's and scouts see in him.
                  Last edited by Iamcanadian; 04-17-2016, 11:59 AM.
                  And proud of it!!!

Comment

We shall see if he actually ranks that high. Seems like Philly loves him, so that may be his floor, but I have a feeling multiple QB needy teams are going to pass on him. He's all projection at this point. He's a good kid with a big arm, that's about all we know. He wasn't that accurate with his big arm though.

Comment

We shall see if he actually ranks that high. Seems like Philly loves him, so that may be his floor, but I have a feeling multiple QB needy teams are going to pass on him. He's all projection at this point. He's a good kid with a big arm, that's about all we know. He wasn't that accurate with his big arm though.

If Goff goes #1,Wentz will go #2 to Cleveland. If Cleveland doesn't take Wentz, they can completely forget about their fans buying tickets. Their owner would take a bloodbath in ticket and merchandise sales..No GM who wants to keep his job is stupid enough to put himself in that position. A rookie QB usually guarantees 3 more years of employment and a full stadium and solid merchandise sales even if Wentz flops. So while I believe that Wentz will likely go #1 overall, he fall no further than #2 to Cleveland.

For me, Goff is strictly a WCO QB, not suitable for every team and usually a sign that he will at best be only an average QB. See Smith at KC. IMO, that is his ceiling. Wentz on the other hand reminds me Roethlisberger, that is his ceiling and I think that potential gets him drafted ahead of Goff. Wentz has an A+ arm, his intangibles and smarts are off the charts as is his leadership qualities. He shows little fear in the pocket, is mobile. I do agree it isn't a slam dunk that the Rams take him, his level of competition will scare a lot of teams, but they will be just as scared to pass on him should he succeed.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

If Goff goes #1,Wentz will go #2 to Cleveland. If Cleveland doesn't take Wentz, they can completely forget about their fans buying tickets. Their owner would take a bloodbath in ticket and merchandise sales..No GM who wants to keep his job is stupid enough to put himself in that position. A rookie QB usually guarantees 3 more years of employment and a full stadium and solid merchandise sales even if Wentz flops. So while I believe that Wentz will likely go #1 overall, he fall no further than #2 to Cleveland.

For me, Goff is strictly a WCO QB, not suitable for every team and usually a sign that he will at best be only an average QB. See Smith at KC. IMO, that is his ceiling. Wentz on the other hand reminds me Roethlisberger, that is his ceiling and I think that potential gets him drafted ahead of Goff. Wentz has an A+ arm, his intangibles and smarts are off the charts as is his leadership qualities. He shows little fear in the pocket, is mobile. I do agree it isn't a slam dunk that the Rams take him, his level of competition will scare a lot of teams, but they will be just as scared to pass on him should he succeed.

Lets go get us some cheap Browns tickets I guess!

In all seriousness, I think the Browns made the right move. If you aren't sold on a guy as a franchise QB, don't take another Manziel(not that Wentz is going to party and beat his gf like Manziel or anything). Load up on picks, build up your roster, see what RG3 has to offer and look elsewhere for a QB. Cook/Prescott in the 2nd, Watson next year, whatever. Almost every team has a franchise QB now, so there won't be a lot of competition for them over the next year or two it seems.

I think Wentz is too raw with too many red flags to take that high, but the Eagles are the perfect situation for him to go to.

Goff reminds me more of Matt Ryan. He may not have the raw arm strength of Wentz, but he was a better deep passer than Wentz in college. His abilities pre snap and his ability to operate under pressure are so important and so rare these days. You can't pass on that as the Rams.

Comment

Lets go get us some cheap Browns tickets I guess!

In all seriousness, I think the Browns made the right move. If you aren't sold on a guy as a franchise QB, don't take another Manziel(not that Wentz is going to party and beat his gf like Manziel or anything). Load up on picks, build up your roster, see what RG3 has to offer and look elsewhere for a QB. Cook/Prescott in the 2nd, Watson next year, whatever. Almost every team has a franchise QB now, so there won't be a lot of competition for them over the next year or two it seems.

I think Wentz is too raw with too many red flags to take that high, but the Eagles are the perfect situation for him to go to.

Goff reminds me more of Matt Ryan. He may not have the raw arm strength of Wentz, but he was a better deep passer than Wentz in college. His abilities pre snap and his ability to operate under pressure are so important and so rare these days. You can't pass on that as the Rams.
                          The Browns tried late round 1's and it got them Weedon and Manziel, I seriously doubt they try that method a third time. The pressure on their GM is immense, given their track record on draft day. Even if Wentz is a total flop which I very much doubt as I prefer him way over Goff , it will still sell out the stadium and increase merchandise sales and that will keep the GM in his job at least 3 more seasons. Anybody who thinks a GM doesn't take into consideration his ability to hold on to his job on draft day, is living in a fantasy world. I also question whether Cleveland's owner will even permit his GM to pass on a QB at #2, especially knowing it will in all likelihood cost him millions of dollars in revenue.

And how many Super Bowls has Matt Ryan won or Smith at KC. WCO QB's don't seem to be able to win SB's any longer. Now if the GM and HC are absolutely willing to stake their careers on RG111, then by all means they will pass on Wentz, but they have to convince the owner to get away with it.

As for your assertion that Wentz is a poor long distance passer, I totally disagree, he will prove to be quite efficient IMO in that area especially with his ability to throw on the run.
                          And proud of it!!!

Comment

The Browns tried late round 1's and it got them Weedon and Manziel, I seriously doubt they try that method a third time. The pressure on their GM is immense, given their track record on draft day. Even if Wentz is a total flop which I very much doubt as I prefer him way over Goff , it will still sell out the stadium and increase merchandise sales and that will keep the GM in his job at least 3 more seasons. Anybody who thinks a GM doesn't take into consideration his ability to hold on to his job on draft day, is living in a fantasy world. I also question whether Cleveland's owner will even permit his GM to pass on a QB at #2, especially knowing it will in all likelihood cost him millions of dollars in revenue.

And how many Super Bowls has Matt Ryan won or Smith at KC. WCO QB's don't seem to be able to win SB's any longer. Now if the GM and HC are absolutely willing to stake their careers on RG111, then by all means they will pass on Wentz, but they have to convince the owner to get away with it.

As for your assertion that Wentz is a poor long distance passer, I totally disagree, he will prove to be quite efficient IMO in that area especially with his ability to throw on the run.

Wentz had terrible accuracy on deep balls, statistically. Its not my opinion.

There's this guy with an average arm in New England and another who just retired from Denver....... big arms are a nice tool, but they are about the 10th thing an NFL GM looks for

You do realize the Browns already traded right?

Selling out the stadium is why they took Manziel. They're giving brown, Depodesta,Jackson and co. a chance to build this right. They're going to get a few years.

Comment

Wentz had terrible accuracy on deep balls, statistically. Its not my opinion.

There's this guy with an average arm in New England and another who just retired from Denver....... big arms are a nice tool, but they are about the 10th thing an NFL GM looks for

You do realize the Browns already traded right?

Selling out the stadium is why they took Manziel. They're giving brown, Depodesta,Jackson and co. a chance to build this right. They're going to get a few years.
                              No, I didn't realize Cleveland had traded back, but it doesn't surprise me. If RG111 continues to be a total bust, those guys are all gone next year. The Cleveland owner has a very short fuse. As for Wentz, this trade shows you are surely wrong, it means Philly wants either Goff or Wentz for themselves and therefore Wentz will go no later than #2 and I'd rate their scouting department and management team as far superior to hapless Cleveland.

Wentz has far more going for him than arm strength, he is a solid leader, very smart, certainly smarter than Goff according to all reports, great intangibles and fearless in the pocket plus he is very mobile and throws well on the run. And while his level of competition was far less than Goff's, he did take his team to 2 straight championships. Add in the fact that he impressed scouts and GM's at the combine and at his pro day, all adds up to success IMO at the next level.
                              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information