The Browns have legitimately passed on every good QB in the NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
    Well, I guess we will know in a few years whether the Rams and Eagles got it right or the Browns or the 49ers. I'd put my money on the first 2, but that is just me. I'll tell you this, if RG111 flops and Wentz/Goff succeeds, that management team in Cleveland, for sure, won't be around any longer. After all, "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush"

I guess my point for the Browns specifically would be. The Browns stand pat, draft him. THey have basically nothing around him after letting pieces go, is it really likely he is going to develop there? I think whoever ends up being the franchise QB would be thankful he got picked next year or in 2018 as there is no way this is a one or two year fix really for either team.

The 49ers (as awful as they were) could see at least a mild turnaround by having an actual NFL caliber coach this year and having a healthy Colin Kaepernick. By adding some pieces in the draft the continued maturation of players like Lynch, Harold, Tart, Reid, Ward, Armstead there is a reason to believe the team will improve. Getting Hyde healthy, getting some fixed along the o-line could lead to both sides of the ball becoming relevant - what hurts the 49ers specifically is the fact that Arizona and Seattle are till in their division along with a solid team like LA.

Comment

Originally posted by ndbigdave View Post

I guess my point for the Browns specifically would be. The Browns stand pat, draft him. THey have basically nothing around him after letting pieces go, is it really likely he is going to develop there? I think whoever ends up being the franchise QB would be thankful he got picked next year or in 2018 as there is no way this is a one or two year fix really for either team.

The 49ers (as awful as they were) could see at least a mild turnaround by having an actual NFL caliber coach this year and having a healthy Colin Kaepernick. By adding some pieces in the draft the continued maturation of players like Lynch, Harold, Tart, Reid, Ward, Armstead there is a reason to believe the team will improve. Getting Hyde healthy, getting some fixed along the o-line could lead to both sides of the ball becoming relevant - what hurts the 49ers specifically is the fact that Arizona and Seattle are till in their division along with a solid team like LA.

I could see a 4th place finish. I predicted the 49ers would see the bottom once they fired Harbaugh and I just don't get the feeling that the owner has a clue and every franchise starts at the top with a competent owner.

Suffered there with my 3 teams, so I know it when I see it developing.
      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post

I could see a 4th place finish. I predicted the 49ers would see the bottom once they fired Harbaugh and I just don't get the feeling that the owner has a clue and every franchise starts at the top with a competent owner.

Suffered there with my 3 teams, so I know it when I see it developing.

What happened with the 49ers is crazy in a host of ways.

Ill start with his Harbaugh is a great coach. He has done amazing things everywhere he has gone, however I do feel his "style" of coaching can go from effective to abrasive quickly for NFL type players and I dont think lends itself to success when things fail to go well. Its unfortunate that Harbaugh, Baalke and York couldnt work together, but I also dont know what could have been done to salvage last year.

Losing Willis, Borland,Davis, Smith to retirement. Iupati, Crabtree, Gore through FA (even if we didnt intend to bring them back) is just A LOT of turnover and some of it was not planned for in the slightest. Last year was a lost year especially once the injuries and losses began to mount.

My hope is, as I mentioned earlier, that we get an idea of what we have with a number of our younger players - most of which are on defense. I think Hyde at RB is a keeper, but we dont have much at WR, I think we have serviceable TE's even if they arent household names, our offensive line rates somewhere near hot garbage and I feel that Joe Staley deserves to move on to a winning situation (though his leadership would be helpful in building a new o-line). I hold out hope for Kaepernick, but fortunately we have a contract that makes cutting him easy next off season if that becomes necessary. We are in a good place financially - so my hope runs high, but that could be blind optimism. We will see if I am wrong.

Comment

Not having enough around a QB is no excuse not to Draft a QB. You can draft a QB and still bring in other good players. The Browns had 10 2016 Draft picks even before trading down.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
            Not having enough around a QB is no excuse not to Draft a QB. You can draft a QB and still bring in other good players. The Browns had 10 2016 Draft picks even before trading down.

Definitely not "wrong" - I can make an argument for why not to force a guy into a bad situation, but you dont want to miss out on a true franchise guy - but I wouldnt want to be bullied into drafting a guy if I wasnt totally sold. This year, I like Goff a lot, but have far too many questions about Wentz - appears that the Browns agree (and the Eagles disagree).

Id rather build up the roster a bit if I am not sold on the guy, I think the Browns are doing the right thing (and most draft experts tend to agree).

Comment

It won't be the right thing if they don't find a QB. Many 'experts' thought they were doing the right thing in past trade downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                It won't be the right thing if they don't find a QB. Many 'experts' thought they were doing the right thing in past trade downs.
                I agree with you, however if RG111 makes a comeback in his career in a very positive way, then they made the right decision. If he doesn't, then they were the same old Browns again and made another ridiculous decision.

The problem with putting off drafting a franchise QB till you have enough talent around him, simply dooms the team at any chance to get a franchise QB. As they build up their talent base, they slip further and further up the draft board and are not likely to hold the 1st or 2nd overall pick again. It is the 'Golden Rule' held by every GM except maybe the Browns, 'if you get a shot at a franchise QB and need one, then you take the QB no matter where you are at with the rest of the talent'.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

First of all, the Browns are in a BRUTAL division.
                  Put the Browns in the NFCE last year and maybe they're contending for the division crown.

Secondly, the Browns need stability in their front office. They need a philosophy between the HC and GM on what kind of football team they're trying to build and specifically which type of players fit their system.
                  Depodesta did the right thing in passing on Goff/Wentz when a healthy RG3 became available. Griffin is young and still has upside, but he needs more coaching and development.
                  IMO Hugh Jackson is the PERFECT coach for him, someone he apparently trusts, and hopefully he can bridge that gap.
                  The Browns aren't set up to develop a rookie QB and if the RG3 experiment fails, the Browns will be picking at the top the draft again with the ammo to move up if they see a QB they like.

Every good NFL team starts in the front office.
                  You need to establish what your team's philosophy is on offense and defense and find players who fit.

I hope the Browns nailed it with their new GM.

And I hope the Browns find some WRs from God knows where and an oline for RG3 to play behind.

If Cleveland wants to salvage anything from signing RG3, their offense can't be built around him running the football.

Finally, all good teams benefit from a little luck.

For the Browns, that starts with the draft and hitting on 3-4 high level starters in 2016, a reclamation QB in RG3 who becomes a pro bowler again,(or at least shows he's a long term solution for the Browns at QB), and Hugh Jackson and Paul DePodesta prove they're worth keeping around for the next decade.

When you look at the Browns roster, they lack depth and talent at almost EVERY single position.
                  I heard them described as an expansion team in terms of talent and that's not too far off.

But a couple good drafts and FA signings could make them competitive in 3 years.

Comment

[QUOTE=FUNBUNCHER;n3115854]First of all, the Browns are in a BRUTAL division.
                    Put the Browns in the NFCE last year and maybe they're contending for the division crown.

Secondly, the Browns need stability in their front office. They need a philosophy between the HC and GM on what kind of football team they're trying to build and specifically which type of players fit their system.
                    Depodesta did the right thing in passing on Goff/Wentz when a healthy RG3 became available. Griffin is young and still has upside, but he needs more coaching and development.
                    IMO Hugh Jackson is the PERFECT coach for him, someone he apparently trusts, and hopefully he can bridge that gap.
                    The Browns aren't set up to develop a rookie QB and if the RG3 experiment fails, the Browns will be picking at the top the draft again with the ammo to move up if they see a QB they like.

Every good NFL team starts in the front office.
                    You need to establish what your team's philosophy is on offense and defense and find players who fit.

I hope the Browns nailed it with their new GM.

And I hope the Browns find some WRs from God knows where and an oline for RG3 to play behind.

If Cleveland wants to salvage anything from signing RG3, their offense can't be built around him running the football.

Finally, all good teams benefit from a little luck.

For the Browns, that starts with the draft and hitting on 3-4 high level starters in 2016, a reclamation QB in RG3 who becomes a pro bowler again,(or at least shows he's a long term solution for the Browns at QB), and Hugh Jackson and Paul DePodesta prove they're worth keeping around for the next decade.

When you look at the Browns roster, they lack depth and talent at almost EVERY single position.
                    I heard them described as an expansion team in terms of talent and that's not too far off.

But a couple good drafts and FA signings could make them competitive in 3 years.

The only place I think you overlooked was the owner. Since he bought the franchise, their management team has been in a state of constant turnover. He has show that he has a very short fuse for any failures and does not give his management team or HC much time to make a turnover in the team's fortunes. If the RG 111 experiment fails, Jackson and Depodesta will be quickly gone. Welcome back, FUNBUNCHER !
                    Last edited by Iamcanadian; 04-27-2016, 02:13 PM.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information