McShay's Tier Rankings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McShay's Tier Rankings

Todd McShay's Tier Rankings are official and out now.

Obviously there will be some differences in opinion on what tiers players belong in (for instance Todd has 0 players in the top tier which I think is wrong) but it does go to an ultimate point that this is a deep draft short on truly elite level studs and for teams empty on talent (Titans, Browns, 49ers and a few others to toss in) it may make sense to secure selections in the top 100 where there isnt a massive drop off in grade - yet a team can have extra selections to "hit."

I do find it interesting that Mayock has a guy like Wentz as his #1 overall player and someone he obviously believes is a franchise QB, yet another commentator (in this case McShay and DraftInc) have him rated #10 overall and in tier 3. This is further evidence that certainly bad teams need QBs, but when you let need dictate your decisions and better judgment you skip over better players and hook yourself to a player you may need to replace in a few years. (See: Browns)

The 2016 NFL draft doesn't have the top-end talent of years past, but the depth is impressive. Todd McShay separates every prospect with at least a third-round grade into six different tiers.

The quality of this draft comes after the top ten and extends through to the end of the second round. There are endless possibilities once we get past the top tier (or essentially McShay's tier 2), and after seeing what Los Angeles and Philadelphia were willing to give up for the quarterbacks, I think Thursday will be loaded with deals.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
      The quality of this draft comes after the top ten and extends through to the end of the second round. There are endless possibilities once we get past the top tier (or essentially McShay's tier 2), and after seeing what Los Angeles and Philadelphia were willing to give up for the quarterbacks, I think Thursday will be loaded with deals.
      Ill be curious to see just how many more moves will be made - I think the pivot point is San Diego at #3 and Dallas at #4. If San Diego surprise a bit and go with anyone but Tunsil (which seems extremely likely) and pick Ramsey, then things get interesting as I think the Cowboys prefer Ramsey and certainly wont take Tunsil. The other rumor that seems to be gaining traction - and I have no idea why it would be smoke necessarily other than to try and get San DIego an option to move back a bit, is that Buckner may be the pick at #3. That leaves what appears the Cowboys top 3 options all available at #4 (Ramsey, Elliot, Bosa) as no one expect the Cowboys to take Tunsil and they have a few options they may love, its possible teams call them to move up to get Tunsil - do the jags make a small move up to ensure themselves Ramsey? Do the 49ers consider the same small move for Ramsey? How about the Bucs protecting WInston with a small move? By doing so the Cowboys may still get they guy they want while gaining assets.

I think things will calm down after the top 10 is set, not to say there wont be moves - there always are - but they may come a bit later when a team in the teens accepts a bit less than face value to allow a team to move up for Paxton Lynch or Connor Cook.

There are so many good storylines to follow though - when will the third QB come off the board? What about the 2nd RB? Will there be more movement after the top 10? Who will be this year's out of nowhere pick?

Comment

Sorry, I have to disagree with McShay's top tier being empty. It is simply ridiculous to suggest players like Tunsil, Ramsey and Elliott plus at least 4 or 5 others aren't tier one types. I have never been a big fan of McShay's anyways, but this is off the charts. Losing Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack out of the top end of the draft certainly thinned the top tier, but there are still solid tier ones available. This draft is deep in through to the middle of round 2 and there are some positions which may extend a bit further
        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
          Sorry, I have to disagree with McShay's top tier being empty. It is simply ridiculous to suggest players like Tunsil, Ramsey and Elliott plus at least 4 or 5 others aren't tier one types. I have never been a big fan of McShay's anyways, but this is off the charts. Losing Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack out of the top end of the draft certainly thinned the top tier, but there are still solid tier ones available. This draft is deep in through to the middle of round 2 and there are some positions which may extend a bit further
          I agree here and had the same thought. Though there likely is more that goes into describing a "Tier 1 Player" McShay describes the tier in the following way:
          This is the elite class of prospects in the 2016 NFL draft. They should be starters from Day 1 and project as perennial Pro Bowl players.

Even if you knock guys like Jack and Jaylon off the list due to injury (which seems entirely fair - though Id still put them in the tier with an asterisk - much like PFF doesnt play doctor but merely analyzes the tape and combine/pro day data) I find it hard to believe that McShay and Scouts Inc does not grade any of these players are potential "perennial Pro Bowl players." The best examples being Ramsey and Tunsil. Both guys have been described as being elite level for their respective positions in terms of both tape and measurables (in the case of Ramsey - go read about his pSPARQ score and his sports science episode for further proof - the guy is in the 99.9 percentile for athletes) how neither projects as at least potentially being perennial Pro Bowl caliber is beyond me. There certainly can be arguments for other players as well.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information