Jabrill Peppers = Jalen Ramsey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabrill Peppers = Jalen Ramsey?

So I've been reading up on the 17 draft and does not Jabrill Peppers profile read a lot like Ramsey's did? I don't watch a lot of Michigan football, anyone able to do a comparison?

Originally posted by villagewarrior View Post
    So I've been reading up on the 17 draft and does not Jabrill Peppers profile read a lot like Ramsey's did? I don't watch a lot of Michigan football, anyone able to do a comparison?
    I don't like the comparison though I can appreciate why one would be made.

Both players have similar build (6'1" a bit over 200lbs), both are considered elite level type athletes and both played all over the field in college (admittedly Peppers played some wildcat QB and some RB while Ramsey was more all over the place on defense), I can also see at least one similar negative to associate with both players - neither have a ton of INTs and PBU's.

However I tend to think that is where the comparisons end. Peppers will drafted and used as a safety or hybrid safety/linebacker as made famous by the Cardinals (and how he was largely used in college), I don't believe there are many scouts who believe he will transition to CB and project as a shutdown CB - which is what many scouts thought Ramsey could be.

Though I believe both are high-end athletes I believe it is worth mentioning that Ramsey was a "top 1%" type athlete, not just elite or high level but the best of the best.

Peppers (just like Ramsey) was a former 5-star recruit who made plays from day 1 for a high-profile program. What seems to be increasing Peppers value is the Heisman hype (undeserved IMO) and the touches he gets on offense. If you focus on his athletic numbers, productivity on defense and how he projects to the pros he drops significantly (still a first round talent but likely behind a number of other guys who have more positional value). Adams from LSU (as one example) rates higher as a more traditional and fluid safety prospect and personally I would rate a number of the CBs in this class ahead of him and more valuable (Tabor, Hooker, Humphrey, Jackson).

Comment

closer to Telvin Smith. he's just an undersized linebacker who can run the ball a bit. overrated because of splash plays with the ball in his hands, which he won't do in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Caulibflower View Post
        closer to Telvin Smith. he's just an undersized linebacker who can run the ball a bit. overrated because of splash plays with the ball in his hands, which he won't do in the NFL.
        You don't think Peppers will have the "ball in his hands" in the return game ??

Comment

Ramsey is a superior athlete.

At FSU, he was 3 times an All-ACC track performer. Including winning the ACC long jump championship.

Comment

Pretty much the difference between a versatile defensive player and a tweener. Ramsey basically played 3 different positions in 3 years in college, all of which he had the physical tools to play in the NFL. Peppers is more of a S/LB tweener based on his game tape. He has the athleticism and size to play S in the NFL its just about if he can actually play the position or not. The NFL has gotten pretty good at using these guys to their strengths though so I think he will have a great career.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information