2017 NFL Draft Senior QB's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 NFL Draft Senior QB's

I'm in the process of doing my first rough rankings at each position (they're currently listed alphabetically). One thing that stood out so far is that I'm not sure there is a single senior quarterback who I'd feel confident labeling as either a Day 1 OR Day 2 pick at this point. I went with Chad Kelly of Ole Miss as my top senior, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if he was still available on early-Day 3. This obviously means more opportunities for underclassmen at the position. Not just the guys who'll be in the first round mix but perhaps even some second-tier types, a la Christian Hackenberg.

What does everyone else think? Any personal favorites or a signal caller you think I'm underrating?
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Kelly is easily a 1st round pick. He is better than Watson in every category - Arm Strength, Accuracy, Athleticism. I would argue that he also does more with less around him at Ole Miss. Watson is playing in the same system that produced former supposed first rounder Tajh Boyd who ended up being a 6th round pick and never making in the league. People love to ignore that fact. Kelly does need to mature some but I do not see him being a Manziel type distraction off the field. Let's not forgot that Watson played the race card when being labeled a dual threat QB.

Comment

I tend to agree that Watson is a little overrated too and hasn't played like a Top 10 pick this year.

In regards to Kelly, there are clearly early round physical tools and flashes but I have a feeling those character concerns are going to take their toll on his draft stock.
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Watson will fall in line with many dual-threat QBs that failed to establish themselves with the top tier. Will be out of the league within 3 years.

Comment

I've done a lot of research on Kizer, Kaaya, and Watson and neither of them wow me. Physically, most of them have an amazing arm but it's the lack of progression skill they have that worries me the most. None of them seem to be a clear cut #1. Chad Kelly could be something but to a previous posters point, he's a head case off the field. The Browns will once again be beating themselves up on why they passed on Wentz and Lynch. This year's draft may have a late sleeper come out of the wood work that ends up being a high draft pick but as of right now, the Browns need to do what Kevin Costner did and just draft Myles Garrett. He's almost as can't miss as possible.

Comment

What will be interesting is to see what Juniors or third-year sophomores jump into the fray to get picked because they seniors this year are so bad. Watson and Kizer have both decided to enter their names into the draft even though both would be better served with another year of reps, I was actually really hoping at least Kizer would stay as Watson as certainly proven more at the collegiate level because next year potentially could be really good.

Mitch Trubisky after another season,
            Josh Rosen back healthy and another year starting
            Jake Browning after another big season at UW
            Sam Darnold after another big year at USC

There are still other options like Kaaya at UM and Rudoph at OSU

That entire list doesnt even mention Lamar Jackson who clearly is a unique prospect that needs to refine his passing skills while finding a way to add weight without sacrificing the elite athleticism for the position.

There are other names that could at least be floated as well -
            Deondre Fancois from Florida State
            Brent Stockstill from Middle Tennessee
            Brett Rypien from Boise State

Naturally not all of these guys will declare and not all of them have "#1 Overall Pick" type potential, but all of them will have at least two years starting and have demonstrated many of the things I look for in a future NFL QB (accuracy, arm strength, starting experience) To think I feel comfortable naming upwards of 10 players who have Day 1/2 type talent is saying something. If Kizer had decided to stay at ND this class could potentially be scary good. Id imagine that Trubisky will leave - the lure of being a 1st rd QB is too high especially if anyone starts showing him the competition he will have next year even if he does do well next season at UNC.

As for the real subject of this thread - the senior QBs this year dont give me much to be excited about. Chad Kelly is likely the best of the bunch, but his off the field issues along with injury concern me a great deal. Of the seniors I suppose I could take a flier on a guy like Davis Webb, I love that he has basically three full years as a starter and has been around the game for a full four years. Of course there are concerns about his college system at Texas Tech and at Cal, but if Goff can go #1 then Webb can be a consideration as a developmental guy. I like his Size at 6'5" and he appears to be able to make all of the throws. If I am in need a backup with some upside to develop I would look at Webb - thought admittedly my advice may be to just avoid the entire QB class entirely and draft BPA.

Comment

I think Davis Webb is probably the best senior qb prospect. Could possibly sneak into day 2.

Comment

Here's Bucky Brooks starting look at the QB's. Pretty poor lot.
                Bucky Brooks reveals his ranking of the top five field generals in college football. Find out which quarterbacks he believes have the greatest potential to become franchise players at the next level.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information