Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People Think Colt McCoy Is An NFL QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do People Think Colt McCoy Is An NFL QB?

He's got a slight frame
    Shorter than his listed 6'3" height
    He'll be a 24 year old rookie
    No experience in a pro style offense or making reads
    Weak arm

I just don't see him as anything more than a late round pick and is just a rich man's Graham Harrell really.

I know most people think he's not an NFL QB, but there are a segment of people that do
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

He has one of the quickest releases in the draft.

He is athletic and mobile.

His accuracy is superb on almost every ball he throws.

Amazing intangibles and great character

His decision making ability is top notch.

Not saying this makes him an NFL QB, but this is why a team will draft him early.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Understood but at the same time I know if I'm an NFL GM I can't have a QB regardless of his character, leadership, IQ, release, and what have you if he's small and can't make all the throws.
      FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Comment

Originally posted by JaxJag_1 View Post
        Understood but at the same time I know if I'm an NFL GM I can't have a QB regardless of his character, leadership, IQ, release, and what have you if he's small and can't make all the throws.
        gotta take a chance and its a second round pick.

What about Drew Brees?

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
          gotta take a chance and its a second round pick.

What about Drew Brees?
          Just because there was one doesn't mean that there has to be a next one. Drew Brees also has a far stronger arm than Colt has.
          FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Comment

Probably 90% of people who are quote unquote "too small" have failed. But the other 10% have gone on to play quite well in the league and others ala Drew Brees, Emmitt Smith have become some of the best in the league.

Colt McCoy kinda reminds me of a Troy Aikman. An accurate leader who wins football games. With that being said, he'll need an all-star cast around him to be successful.

Whether or not he's worth the second round pick probably depends on what franchise drafts him.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

I wouldn't say he has a slight frame. He's actually pretty built.

Comment

Originally posted by foozball View Post
                I wouldn't say he has a slight frame. He's actually pretty built.

He's pretty small
                FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Comment

I'm not a fan of Colt McCoy as a prospect. I think he's a good football player and definitely worthy of being in the NFL. He has some tools that are NFL-caliber and some that look pedestrian or worse. I don't like the offense he was in nor his arm strength.

However, he can bulk up. It's been done. Height wise? It's an issue, but it's not a huge problem. Sanchez was a top QB prospect (regardless of if he was worthy) at 6'2 and Tony Romo has made it work at that height. Brees has been mentioned. While not stellar, Bruce Gradkowski and Tyler Thigpen (I know, I'm scraping the barrel here) have at least had microcosms of success.

I don't like McCoy, like I mentioned, as a prospect but it's not impossible for him to have success.
                  Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

I just don't know if I'm out on an island here thinking he's no more than a Rd. 5 prospect.

I just can't understand the talk of him being a 2nd round pick.

Bradford, Clausen, Snead, LeFevour, Pike, Levi Brown, Skelton, and Mallett (if he were to declare) are all undoubtably better prospects IMO
                    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Comment

Please, please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Snead off that list. He can't even handle the college defense... I can't imagine how bad he'll do at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by JaxJag_1 View Post
                        I just don't know if I'm out on an island here thinking he's no more than a Rd. 5 prospect.

I just can't understand the talk of him being a 2nd round pick.
                        Is he one of the 64 best players in the draft in terms of pro prospects? I sincerely doubt it, but due to the fact that people always overvalue quarterbacks (because, unlike other positions, it is nearly impossible to succeed with mediocre production at the position) and teams often have inscrutable criteria for drafting them, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go in the second.

It only takes one team to draft him after all. 31 teams might have him as the #6 QB on the board, but if one team has him as the #3 QB they might think getting him in the middle of the second is a steal.

Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                        Please, please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Snead off that list. He can't even handle the college defense... I can't imagine how bad he'll do at the next level.
                        Snead needs a good NFL position coach, some time on the bench, and a offensive line that excels at pass blocking but I do like him a lot as a developmental prospect. If you draft him expecting him to start in his rookie year, you're insane, but if you draft anybody except Clausen or maybe Bradford expecting him to start his rookie year, you're insane. This is not a good crop of "immediate contributors" at the QB position. But there are a bunch of guys who, if they end up in the right situation, and are allowed to sit and learn for 2-3 years, could be great NFL players.
                        Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Colt McCoy = (a young) Jeff Garcia.

He should eventually develop into a starter IMO, gone before the end of the 2nd round.

If he had played tonight, man it would have been one helluva NC game!!!

Notice that besides McCoy, Shipley and that speedy little WR, ( forgot his name), Texas has marginal talent at the skill positions.

Their RB situation is pathetic for such a high profile program.

Comment

If Colt would've played tonight, I think Texas would've won this game. Just my thoughts.

To Possiblecabbage: I don't think Clausen or Bradford are ready to immediately contribute at the next level. I don't think there's one single QB that can be ready to start day one. Still, I don't care how long Snead sits, I just don't think he's a NFL player. I always like to give prospects benefits of doubts, and I usually tend not to be so harsh, but Snead is a different case. If not for McCluster, Ole Miss may not have won 4 games this season, and Snead is the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrd430 View Post
                              To Possiblecabbage: I don't think Clausen or Bradford are ready to immediately contribute at the next level. I don't think there's one single QB that can be ready to start day one.
                              Well, the key difference is that if you draft a guy like Snead and expect him to play in his rookie year (barring a rash of QB injuries and/or garbage time situations) you're insane. If you draft Clausen and expect him to play in his rookie year, you're just delusional. College QBs who are ready to contribute on day one to an NFL team are as rare as hen's teeth, I definitely agree with you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information