Underrated/Overrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated/Overrated

I decided to give my input on prospects that I think deserve these labels. The players are in no certain order, and I'm interested to see what you guys think or other names that may need to be considered.

Underrated

1. Lamarr Houston : DT : Texas
    -He's had as good a season as anyone at the position not named Suh. I see a player like Jared Odrick getting consideration for the end of round one and I wonder how his name can't be in the conversation too.

2. Pat Angerer : ILB : Iowa
    -A tackling machine on one of the nation's top defenses. He's not the biggest guy, height-wise, but he's got sideline to sideline speed and can really hit. I'm thinking he'll be a better fit in a 3-4.

3. Jason Fox : OT : Miami(FL)
    -I know he's got the injury label attached with his name, but since he's stepped onto ther U's campus he's been a player and I think he has the ability to be a solid option at LT in the NFL.

4. Emmanuel Sanders : WR : SMU
    -A playmaker with the ball in his hands who really excelled in Jones' system at SMU. This WR class isn't very deep and I'm surprised his name isn't getting more attention considering his ability to make plays.

5. Alterraun Verner : CB : UCLA
    -Physically his measurables aren't through the roof but he's a player that gets it and produces. Again, much like the WR class, the CB class isn't very deep and his production in school may give him the nod over some others.

6. O’Brien Schofield : DE/OLB : Wisconsin
    -He certainly has received more attention here as of late but I don't think it's up to the level that he deserves. He's a terror and knows how to get to the QB. A player that will thrive on the outside in a 3-4.

7. Taylor Price : WR : Ohio
    -Not a name that gets a ton of attention, but he's got some intriguing measurables at 6-1, 210 lbs with 4.4 speed. He's production at Ohio may not compete with sopme others but I think that has alot to do with the poor quarterback play at Ohio rather than his abilities.

Overrated

1. Sergio Kindle : OLB : Texas
    -I can understand some of the hype because he can get after the quarterback, but he runs too hot and cold for me to think that he's worth a Top 20 pick like some are talking about. I think he needs quite a bit of coaching because his playmaking has very little to do with technique and everything to do with straight line speed.

2. Russell Okung : OT : Oklahoma State
    -Again, like Kindle, is the talent there? Of course it is, but I don't know if he's talented enough to be taken Top 5. I think a lack of elite prospects at the position allow him to move up boards higher than he normally would have in a different year. I believe he'll struggle with speed rushers in the NFL, but he'll still piece together a nice NFL career.

3. Terrence Cody : NT : Alabama
    -Cody's hype is the one I struggle with thew most. He's a huge S.O.B. but he's not a penetrating NT like Raji was last year and his conditioning is a big question mark. Honestly I view him as nothing more than a bottom of the 2nd round type player with hopes that he can become something more than just a space eater.

4. Corey Wootton : DE : Northwestern
    -Wootton had a nice junior year before suffering a knee injury, and since then he has looked like an average prospect. He didn't make any noise in the Big Ten this season where you had players like Graham, Schofield, Heyward, and Clayborn all making noise. I think his best fit is at LE in a 4-3, but I don't view him as anything more than a 3rd rounder and I think people get caught up in the measurables but at some point that has to translate to production on the field.

5. Selvish Capers : OT : West Virginia
    -An athletic tackle whose stock is based purely off potential and I'm fine with that but what has he done to be considered a day one pick?

6. Patrick Robinson : CB : Florida State
    -Robinson has some intriguing measurables, much like everyone on this list, but I don't think he had the season at Florida State to warrant a first round selection. I'd like to see better ball skills from him to consider him someone I'd take in the first 50 picks.

7. Jason Pierre-Paul : DE : South Florida
    -An atheltic lineman who had a solid first season at South Florida, and I think his potential allows him to be a first round consideration, but I would not think about taking him with a top 10 selection.

8. Reshad Jones : S : Georgia
    -A player who has some upside and can take advantage of a weak safety class at the top but I see him being mocked in the first round and I just don't see the play on the field that would give him such a high stock.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Very nice i'd add:

Overrated: (in terms of their draft stock)

Bruce Campbell, Maryland
    Charles Brown, USC
    Jermaine Gresham, OU
    Colt McCoy, Texas
    Jahvid Best, Cal

Underrated: (in terms of draft stock)
    Taylor Mays
    Toby Gerhart
    Bryan Bulaga
    Carlos Dunlap
    Nate Allen

Comment

Overrated:
      1. Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
      2. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
      3. Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
      4. D'Anthony Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech
      5. Levi Brown, QB, Troy
      6. Koa Misi, DE, Utah
      7. Navorro Bowman, OLB, Penn State
      8. Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois
      9. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
      10. Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State

Underrated:
      1. Riley Cooper, WR, Florida
      2. Lindsey Witten, DE, Connecticut
      3. Vladimir Ducasse, OT, UMass
      4. John Skelton, QB, Fordham
      5. Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Fresno State
      6. Ed Dickson, TE, Oregon
      7. Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
      8. Dexter McCluster, WR, Ole Miss
      9. Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green
      10. Taylor Mays, S, USC

Comment

Okung struggling with speed rushers in the pros? Everything I've heard on him touts his athleticism and if anything, it would be run blocking and handling bull rushers that I thought were his weaknesses. I don't disagree with him about being overrated and being pushed up do to the lack of someone elite, but where do you get he'd struggle with speed rushers from?

As for Kindle, if you wrote this at this time yesterday, I'd agree, but he dominated in the championship game last night. He may still be a bit overrated but he was beasting against Alabama's very quality o-line last night, making multiple sacks and a few good plays against the run too. I think he'll still end up a first rounder, in contrast to recent mocks I've seen that have him slipping halfway through the 2nd round in some cases.

Just two thoughts I had, can't disagree with much of the rest.

Comment

How is Davis overrated. He's rated as the 2nd or 3rd best OT in the draft and likely to go in the 10-18 range. You think he's worse than that?
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            Underrated

3. Jason Fox : OT : Miami(FL)
            -I know he's got the injury label attached with his name, but since he's stepped onto ther U's campus he's been a player and I think he has the ability to be a solid option at LT in the NFL.
            I like most of yours but I have do disagree with this one and not because of his injury. Fox struggles with his footwork and is below average in the run game. if anything i think hes being overrated as an early mid 2nd round guy and belongs more imo as an early mid rd 3 guy.

Some of my underrated prospects:

Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale - He's this years Vollmer and should see a similar rise in stock come draft day. At 6'9, 320lbs he reportedly runs a sub 4.90 40 time. He is extremely strong and plows people in the run game. His combo of size/speed/athleticism is nearly as impressive as the beloved Bruce Campbell.

AJ Edds, OLB, Iowa - He's a former tight end that shows great agility and speed considering his size. Always up in the line of scrimmage making tackles and has shown the ability to shed blockers well.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
              Okung struggling with speed rushers in the pros? Everything I've heard on him touts his athleticism and if anything, it would be run blocking and handling bull rushers that I thought were his weaknesses. I don't disagree with him about being overrated and being pushed up do to the lack of someone elite, but where do you get he'd struggle with speed rushers from?
              I question the level of competition in the Big XII and how solid of an evaluation you can get for his pass protecting skills against average pass rushers. The majority of impact players along the DL in the Big XII come at tackle and I don't see much NFL talent being thrown at Okung week-in and week-out. Has he performed well in pass protection? Definitely but I see instances where I think, come to the NFL, and he'll struggle to prevent that edge rusher from getting to the edge and to the QB. Maybe am I being too picky with Okung since he is so hyped? That's a possibility, and I hope I get a better answer with all the postseason work leading up to the draft.

Personally I like Anthony Davis more than Okung and I would feel far more comfortable taking Davis with pick 10 than Okung with pick 5.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Agree that Kindle is overrated. He gets lost in the run game too much.

Underrated is C.J. Spiller. Even with Chris Johnson doing what he's done this season no one seems to appreciate that Spiller can/will do the exact same thing.
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                  I question the level of competition in the Big XII and how solid of an evaluation you can get for his pass protecting skills against average pass rushers. The majority of impact players along the DL in the Big XII come at tackle and I don't see much NFL talent being thrown at Okung week-in and week-out. Has he performed well in pass protection? Definitely but I see instances where I think, come to the NFL, and he'll struggle to prevent that edge rusher from getting to the edge and to the QB. Maybe am I being too picky with Okung since he is so hyped? That's a possibility, and I hope I get a better answer with all the postseason work leading up to the draft.

Personally I like Anthony Davis more than Okung and I would feel far more comfortable taking Davis with pick 10 than Okung with pick 5.
                  I think the Tackle group as a whole is pretty close, I like Davis but not sure i'd annoint him over the others till we see what comes out of the combine. I have about 4 guys neck and neck right now (Davis, Okung, Bulaga, Carimi).

Comment

Davis is going to kill at the combine. Rutgers players have been doing well there for the last 2 or 3 years.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Great list PF. I can't say I really disagree with any of those. Really glad to see Lamarr Houston is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Add Bruce Campbell to the overrated. He has done nothing on the field to remotely warrant a 1st round pick let alone a Top 15 selection.

As for underrated I'd add Mike Williams. Obviously there are serious questions about him but I get the impression that he just wasn't interested in the academic side of university. He is a very talented and productive receiver. On the field, there is very little that actually separates him from Dez Bryant. Mike Williams is a terrific natural athlete with excellent jumping ability and hands. He also has enough speed to break the big play. He has been very productive despite having sub-par QB play. If he lasts to the 3rd round, he will be a HUGE steal.

Comment

OVERRATED

1. Taylor Mays
                        2. Colt McCoy
                        3. Dez Bryant
                        4. Bryan Bulaga
                        5. A. Benn

UNDERRATED

1. Riley Cooper
                        2. Nate Allen
                        3. Kyle McCarthy
                        4. Blair White
                        5. Greg Jones

Comment

Underrated is more fun so...:

Oghobaase
                          Mike Neal
                          Greg Hardy - Injuries have gotten him a Harvin treatment.
                          Jacoby Ford - Better pro than college player, possibly.
                          Anthony McCoy - Might end up the best TE in the class.
                          Kam Chancellor
                          Kurt Coleman
                          Shay Hodge
                          Kyle Calloway
                          Boo Robinson
                          Donovan Warren
                          Brandon Ghee
                          AJ Edds
                          Brandon Lang

Comment

I think Robert Johnson from Utah is very underrated. Noone seems to talk about him and he is a great playmaker at the safety position.

Comment

greaT LIST. I disagree only on a couple. I dont think Angerer and Price are underrated. I think they're pretty fairly valued currently. Could change after the all star games and combine though. Also I'm a fan of Pat Robinson so I think he's sorta fairly valued if he's slotted between 18 and 40.

Guys I think could be added to the list

Underrated
                              QB Jon Crompton
                              WR Chris McGaha
                              WR Rich Gunnell
                              WR Danario Alexander
                              TE Dennis Morris
                              OG Shaw Lavvuo
                              OG Terrance Campbell
                              C Ted Larson
                              DE Willie Young
                              DE CJ Wilson