Can Spikes play ILB in 3-4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Spikes play ILB in 3-4?

I have heard that he prefers to run around blocks instead of take them on. On the other hand, Florida defense is supposedly much more stout with him in.

I think he might be able to play OLB in a 3-4 as well.

Discuss, please.
    "Those two men showed what one motivated Marine and his rifle can do! And before you ladies leave my island, you will ALL be able to do the SAME THING."

spikes is at least on par with jerod mayo, james farrior and bart scott in terms of talent and speed. he also has size like david harris.

i could see him playing Strongside or MLB in a 4-3 as well.

Comment

Absolutely, I think he can be a poor man's Patrick Willis, this guy has great size, decent speed, and good awareness, very impressed with this guy, could have a Laurinitis or Malaluga type 2nd round impact.

Comment

I don't see him as a LB in the 43. Lacks speed to me. However, as a 34 LB, I say it's a lock. However, lots of people like him in both schemes.

the 3rd patriots pick (the titans/jaguars [I forgot who has the "lower" pick] second rounder) could be Brandon Spikes.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

I think he would perform BEST in a 3-4. Specifically as a TED.

Besides, I don't think many, if any ILBs "prefer" taking on blockers.

Comment

Spikes not only can play in a 34 he should play in it. Spikes doesn't have very good sideline to sideline speed and his best asset is his blitzing and toughness. His skills would be best utilized as a 34 ILB rather than a 43 MIKE.

Comment

yeah 34 is his best fit

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
              - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
              - Corner or Wideout in the first
              - No reaching
              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by eagles6606 View Post
                Spikes not only can play in a 34 he should play in it. Spikes doesn't have very good sideline to sideline speed and his best asset is his blitzing and toughness. His skills would be best utilized as a 34 ILB rather than a 43 MIKE.
                I agree, he lacks the speed to be a MLB in a 4-3 defense but should be OK as an ILB in a 3-4.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

He doesn't lack "speed" per se. His biggest issue is stiff hips and reaction skills. 4 years of watching him play and that was always the biggest negative that I saw. He has great size, speed and vision that's good enough to be in the right spot, but I just never saw him turn his hips with any fluidity.
                  Jaguars Season Ticket Holder

Check out Black & Teal for all of your Jaguars needs!

Follow me on twitter @ooonooo904

Comment

Does everyone agree with The Linebacker that Spikes has stiff hips?
                    Is he then a liability in coverage?

Comment

Thats been my only issue with him. He's a little too high cut for my liking and struggles changing directions which limits his pursuit range. I don't think he can play much man but he's terrific in zone coverage as well. I think he's a 2nd round pick. I only pick blue chip ILBer's like Willis, Beason, and McClain in the 1st round because you can find guys later.

Comment

It's his best fit from what I've seen of him. However if he's drafted high it will probably be to play in a 4-3. The 3-4 ILB spot can definitely be manned by guys who are solid run stuffers, that's why it's not a hugely prioritized position. To be worth spending a premium pick on, you have to know you're getting a linebacker who can do it all, including pass coverage, which happens to be Spikes weak spot.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                          It's his best fit from what I've seen of him. However if he's drafted high it will probably be to play in a 4-3. The 3-4 ILB spot can definitely be manned by guys who are solid run stuffers, that's why it's not a hugely prioritized position. To be worth spending a premium pick on, you have to know you're getting a linebacker who can do it all, including pass coverage, which happens to be Spikes weak spot.
                          TBH, he's not that bad in coverage. He actually defends the shallow hole and hook/curl zones pretty well and is adept at baiting QBs. He's made more than his share of interceptions and interception returns for TDs.

Any team expecting him to cover the deep middle a la "Tampa Two" style is going to be sorely disappointed.

Comment

Spikes just plays so slow, IMO. He's not as quick and fast as people think he is.
                            Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

Not only should Spikes play ILB in a 34- he should do it in NE :D
                              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information