Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rookie Pay Scale Coming in Time for 2010 Draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Pay Scale Coming in Time for 2010 Draft?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-rookie-pay/

It seems like a long shot with the looming labor crisis, but both the league and the union have submitted proposals for how it could work, and it could be in place for the 2010 draft.

So much for any underclassmen who declared trying to avoid future rookie pay scales....still a long shot like I said though.

Thoughts?

Sooner the better, imo.

Comment

No way in hell they would get that in place in time.

Comment

Let's hope it happens, rookie salaries are out of control. I also like the idea of savings going to former players who need it.

Comment

Great news, but not for Sam Bradford.
          I want a sig.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
            Let's hope it happens, rookie salaries are out of control. I also like the idea of savings going to former players who need it.
            ^^^ this.
            Isn't it a shame that the NBA is actually way ahead of the NFL on this one!

Comment

I don't understand why everyone seems to be in favor of a rookie salary cap. You need to read the fine print in this article. It says rookies will only have a 3 year contract. As a Vikings fan I would be pissed as hell if Adrian Peterson could go to the highest bidder after this year. How about Chris Johnson after next year? What if one of this years QB's turns out to be the next Tom Brady? As a fan I find it hard to believe that all of you are going to be fine with you're stud QB becoming a free agent after 3 years.

Comment

if i were the top team id draft suh then try and trade his rights

not because i dont love him i have a man crush but dont fancy investing that many millions

Comment

Originally posted by swngtrdr View Post
                  I don't understand why everyone seems to be in favor of a rookie salary cap. You need to read the fine print in this article. It says rookies will only have a 3 year contract. As a Vikings fan I would be pissed as hell if Adrian Peterson could go to the highest bidder after this year. How about Chris Johnson after next year? What if one of this years QB's turns out to be the next Tom Brady? As a fan I find it hard to believe that all of you are going to be fine with you're stud QB becoming a free agent after 3 years.
                  Agreed, it should be 5 years. Maybe 4. For sure 3 is not enough. Rodgers sat for 3 years.

Comment

tbh i think 3 years is good, it means you dont financially tie yourself down for too long and christ if your future QB of the team shows up after 2 seasons, sign him to an extension before his 3rd year is out wow, like you would leave CJ to sign in after next season id re sign him now too lock him up

Comment

a great example for this is j russell, raiders let him walk after season 3 having not spent so much effing money on him instead of having to release him taking a cap hit, now in example of flacco, hes proven hes going to be the ravens QB for the next decade, pay the man now and lock him up for the future, why wait until next year it works well in my opinion, it makes the finances much more comforting and extensions will just come in the second year not the third

Comment

In terms of length they should just do what the NBA does. Most of the contracts are two/three years (can't recall which off the top of my head) and then I think all first round picks have a team option for 2 more years.

Essentially it would allow a team who messes up to be rid of a player in three years, or if they are really good keep them around for two more years at a reasonable salary (compared to what they'd make as FA's, if they're good).

I imagine players who slip big on draft day will be pissed though, but there's not much you can do about it.
                        (shameless self-promotion)
                        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by BGB View Post
                          No way in hell they would get that in place in time.
                          Pretty much this. Something this big doesn't get passed without months and months of deliberation.

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                            In terms of length they should just do what the NBA does. Most of the contracts are two/three years (can't recall which off the top of my head) and then I think all first round picks have a team option for 2 more years.

Essentially it would allow a team who messes up to be rid of a player in three years, or if they are really good keep them around for two more years at a reasonable salary (compared to what they'd make as FA's, if they're good).

I imagine players who slip big on draft day will be pissed though, but there's not much you can do about it.

The NFLPA will never agree to this, it gives all the options and power to the teams and offers little security to the players.

If your good, your team keeps you for two more years at a lower salary than you deserve and you risk injury and losing that big contract and financial stability. If you suck, well that just sucks that your terrible but means the team can get rid of you faster and hurt your finances all the same.

obvs players could renegotiate to be kept if theyre good but i feel like more anquan boldin like situations would occur where a player would want a raise, couldnt get it, and couldnt get out either.
                            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                              The NFLPA will never agree to this, it gives all the options and power to the teams and offers little security to the players.

If your good, your team keeps you for two more years at a lower salary than you deserve and you risk injury and losing that big contract and financial stability. If you suck, well that just sucks that your terrible but means the team can get rid of you faster and hurt your finances all the same.

obvs players could renegotiate to be kept if theyre good but i feel like more anquan boldin like situations would occur where a player would want a raise, couldnt get it, and couldnt get out either.
                              True, but it can be doesn't have to be just team options. It could be a team option the fourth year, and a player option the fifth year. Or it could be a vesting option, or even a mutual option.

Not to mention they could also make the option for the first year be a significant pay increase and the fifth year option even more so.

It can work, it would just need to be structured properly.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information