Eric Berry's NFL position...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Berry's NFL position...

I've been pondering this over and I wanted to hear what other people had to say.

I've been looking pretty hard at Berry lately, trying to figure out how I feel about the kid as a prospect. He's an excellent athlete who has a certain feel for the defensive game, but he plays wild and really didn't play a typical safety position for the Vols. From the game footage I've seen the last couple years, Berry has looked his best when swinging into man coverage in the slot or on the tight end. We all know that Berry can hit, but I'm not sure how I feel about his chances as a strong safety in the NFL. It's not his weight so much as his build. He's lanky and rangy and doesn't have the strong lower body of guys like Polamalu or Sanders. Realizing all this, I keep coming back to this thought: I think Eric Berry is a cornerback moving forward. Granted, he'd be just as raw as he would be coming into a safety spot in the NFL (depending somewhat on the scheme he lands in), but I think we could be talking about a guy with a massive ceiling as a cornerback, well above his ceiling as a safety.

I know that Berry gets the Ed Reed comparison a lot, and I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he could become a similar sort of safety. That said, Reed's rover position on that Baltimore defense is far from typical and I'm not really sure Berry plays the position with the same intelligence that Reed played it with coming out of Miami. Berry is aggressive, has shown talent in bump-and-run, has the competitiveness and athleticism to survive in man-to-man coverage (although he doesn't quite have the footwork yet), and already has tons of experience playing face up zone coverage in the short range game.

Thoughts?

Free Safety.

Comment

I like him deep, he can cover in the slot and was forced too this year, but I just like him deep.

Reed has grown into the film study guru, but he was a bit wild and running on instinct as well.

I dunno, there can be worse things than running on instinct, the problem is when you can't get the player to put in the hours to hone his technique(Lavar Arrington?)
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Believe me...Being a Dolphin fan, a Tennessee Safety is a safety, ( reffering to Jason Allen).

Keep him at safety. I hate drafting guys in the top of the draft with the intention of converting them to another position.

I think, like you said, he is a little wild which concerns me about sticking him out in center field, but you have to keep him at safety. He reminds me of Antrel Rolle...FS with good man to man skills...can line him up anywhere, he can blitz etc. But keep him at S.

Comment

Berry plays stronger and bigger than his weight/height, recall when he stalemated Tebow on a run earlier(?) this past season.

Because of Berry's versatility, I think he can be the kind of do-everything safety who makes an entire defense better when he's on the field.

Could he play corner at a high level? Of Course. But if I'm in a position to draft Berry, I'm looking at him strictly as the top safety prospect in the draft.

He's so dominant at safety I can't think of a good reason to switch him mainly to corner.
          I could see him used the way the Skins used the late Sean Taylor; if there are teams where playing Berry primarily on one WR is an advantage, you do it. ST was often assigned to cover T.O. when the Skins played against the Cowboys and Eagles, because he had the one on one coverage skills, loose hips, and the size/physical play to take Owens off his game.

I hate falling in love with a player's prospects to be great in the pros, but if Berry developed into anything less than an all-pro, I would be stunned.
          Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I was thinking he could be a really good CB as well, I agree that Berry isn't there as far as footwork but I think give him time & a right defensive scheme for his abilitys I think he will shine no matter where he plays having said that I also kinda agree he would be better as a FS as opposed to SS. imo

Comment

Put him in the backfield and he will be a good player.

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Free safety all the way IMO. But not one that you have to worry about helping out in run support.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                  Berry plays stronger and bigger than his weight/height, recall when he stalemated Tebow on a run earlier(?) this past season.

Because of Berry's versatility, I think he can be the kind of do-everything safety who makes an entire defense better when he's on the field.

Could he play corner at a high level? Of Course. But if I'm in a position to draft Berry, I'm looking at him strictly as the top safety prospect in the draft.

He's so dominant at safety I can't think of a good reason to switch him mainly to corner.
                  I could see him used the way the Skins used the late Sean Taylor; if there a teams where playing Berry primarily on one WR is an advantage, you do it. ST was often assigned to cover T.O. when the Skins played against the Cowboys and Eagles, because he had the one on one coverage skills, loose hips, and the size/physical play to take Owens off his game.

I hate falling in love with a player's prospects to be great in the pros, but if Berry developed into anything less than an all-pro, I would be stunned.
                  I agree on all fronts. The only problem with him being used as a no-true-position safety, kind of just letting him move around in that secondary like you were saying, is that you need another one of those safeties in order for that to work.

Comment

See, I'm not fully sure I get the free safety talk. From what I've seen, what makes Berry so special is his short field reads and his man coverage, neither of which are tasks commonly asked of a free safety in any scheme. It's not like Berry wasn't a cornerback coming out of high school either...

Comment

He is going to need an excellent defensive coordinator to make the most of his abilities, and size.

Comment

I don't think it will necessarily matter much which safety position he plays. The best thing about him is his versatility and as mentioned before I'd be very surprised if he isn't excellent in the league. He would flourish in a situation where he's allowed to move around a lot.

I actually think he would work real well with our defense because Marvin seems to value this in his safeties(except for Roy Williams, obviously) but its very unlikely we get him.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                        Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

Free Safety
                          Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Free safety in Buccaneer red.

Comment

What would your guy's reaction to Detroit drafting him at #2 with the intent to play him at cornerback?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information