WR Dez Bryant Working Out In Tampa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WR Dez Bryant Working Out In Tampa

Dez Bryant looks at the top teams in the draft, and identifies the first team that has a big need at WR that could conceivably draft him, then chooses to work out in that city.

Nicely played, Mr Bryant.

From the Tampa Tribune:

TAMPA - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won't have to travel far to keep tabs on the top receiver in this year's NFL Draft.

Dez Bryant, the Oklahoma State wideout who was suspended by the NCAA in October for lying about a meeting he had with Deion Sanders, has decided to kick start his stagnant career here in Tampa Bay.

Bryant, a Texas native, said Friday he plans to spend at least the next couple of months working out at the Saddlebrook resort.

Though he played just three games of his junior season before the suspension, Bryant ranks as the top wideout in the draft, according to most experts. Maintaining that spot is the objective behind Bryant's work at Saddlebrook.

"I just feel like I have things to prove,'' said Bryant, who caught 87 passes for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2008. "I have to let everybody know I still have it.''

Questions abound on that topic because Bryant has not played competitively since he caught nine passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Rice last Sept. 19.

Bryant was suspended for lying to the NCAA about his relationship with former NFL star Sanders, who may have been perceived by the NCAA as a "runner'' for agent Eugene Parker.

Bryant has since hired Parker as his agent, but said Sanders never mentioned Parker during the time the two were together and his decision was made after interviewing several agents.

"I want people to know that neither one of them talked to me about the other,'' Bryant said in reference to Sanders and Parker. "My first time ever meeting Euegene Parker was like four weeks ago.

"I just felt like the NCAA thought me and him had something gong on and I didn't even know the man. And they thought Deion was the runner for him and it wasn't anything like that.''

Bryant said he initially lied to the NCAA about his relationship and meetings with Sanders because he got the impression the NCAA viewed it as illegal and would punish him for it.

"When I herd the NCAA wanted to talk to me, it was shocking,'' Bryant said. "I was laying in my bed, and my receiver coach called me and said the NCAA wanted to talk to me.

"I was like, 'I haven't done anything wrong,' because I don't want to do anything to hurt my career, so I was like, 'OK, I'll talk to them.' But I was nervous.

Bryant said the mistake he made with the NCAA was lying during the inquiry. He regrets that decision, but believes the NCAA acted harshly by suspending him.

"In ways I made a mistake because I lied to them,'' Bryant said. "I regret what I did and I respect their decision, but do I feel like it was a bad decision? Yeah, I feel like it was strong.

"But the thing about the NCAA, the way I look at it, they're like the Feds. You can't change their decision. They're going to go with what they want to go with. There's nothing I can do about that.''

Will he be the first WR taken?

Comment

Well that one crazed Bucs fan will be happy with this... what was his name Bucimalisland or something like that?

This would be a huge mistake btw.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        I really don't see any WR that will challenge him. He's going to test well, and he got it done on the field. He's got a lot of questions to answer, but he's likely to be a Top 10 pick.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          This would be a huge mistake btw.
          Yeah they should focus on their horrible D-Line in the 1st round. There's plenty of good WR's in the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by ojjuiceman View Post
            Yeah they should focus on their horrible D-Line in the 1st round. There's plenty of good WR's in the 2nd.
            Exactly and taking Bryant with the third pick is questionable as well, especially when there is going to be Derrick Morgan and Gerald McCoy likely on the board and maybe even Joe Haden is an option, the Bucs need defensive talent. They've got adequate pass catchers in Winslow, Stroughter, Bryant and Clayton, obviously not the best, probably more on the sub mediocre side but still, its enough to get the job done. They need defensive line help a lot more than the Bucs need wide receiver help.

And, Bryant isn't a character problem but all the signs point to him being immature, whether he is getting personal fouls against Georgia when they get physical with him or lying to the NCAA about going to Deion's house, he seems immature. His coach also mentioned that he doesn't always give his all on every play to scouts, I think that giving a guy like Bryant #3 pick money could blow up in someone's face.

Comment

Bryant is in a class by himself when it comes to the wide receivers this year. I think he is faster than most people perceive and he obviously will test well in other workouts and drills.

Definitely the first receiver off the board, no matter who is picking (at least today).

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Cheb.....?

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Originally posted by irishbucsfan View Post
                  Cheb.....?
                  I prefer Chebington lol

Comment

Originally posted by ojjuiceman View Post
                    I prefer Chebington lol
                    Hah! I knew it! Welcome to the 'light' side, I guess...

Members of the forum, this guy knows his stuff. The football IQ of our forum here on DC just went up.

"Frosties are corn flakes for people who can't face reality"

Comment

Trying to get a comparison for Bryant?

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        he's gotta be, who else could contend with him even though he missed all but 3 games in 09
                        My 2-Round 2010 Mock: http://www.draftdebacled.com/Publish...spx?mdid=17855

4thand18 - The Beauty of Football

~ http://www.4thand18.com ~

I'm trying to get my sportswriting career up and running, so any pageviews, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Comment

Suprised nobody caught who Dez has as his agent? I love Dez but this could hurt him.

Comment

My Brother works at Saddlebrook and said Dez has been a pretty nice guy.

Comment

It's not even a possibility of him going to Tampa unless they want to trade back which I can't see happening. He's too much of a risk that soon and they have a shot at some elite prospects who could be there like Eric Berry or Gerald McCoy.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information