Brandon Spikes Vs Rolando McClain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Spikes Vs Rolando McClain

I want to hear your thoughts on the 2. So far, from what ive seen, I think the difference between them is not all that great.

Rolando is a beast, don't get me wrong, but he's not very fast. He looks like a 4.8 guy. He plays tall, tackles tall. He has great awareness, instincts, he's smart, his coverage concepts are very sound although he's not the greatest in coverage bc of his speed. He's a leader etc.

Spikes seems to me like he plays a little faster. He's nastier in the phonebooth although both are pretty nasty in the booth, he's a better blitzer, makes more plays in the backfield. Coverage is not as good, but I feel like his coverage can become better than McClains with time. He plays with a lower center of gravity. Higher motor.

I don't want to make this thread a knock on McClain, bc I love the guy. But right now, from watching him, I don't see how he's a top 10 guy. To be a top 10 LB, you gotta have it all. And I don't think McClain is fast enough to be a top 10 guy.

Contrarily, I think Spikes is getting lowballed right now. I don't think he's as far off from McClain as people think.

My opinion on the 2 can change, as Im still in the process of evaluating both of them, but thats my first impressions of the 2 so far.

Thoughts?

Good topic.
    I think Spikes is the more complete, NFL ready, prospect.
    He's faster, more aggressive, and exceptionally better in coverage.
    Both are great linebackers and deserve top 15 picks
    GO RAVENS

Comment

Originally posted by GoRavens View Post
      Good topic.
      I think Spikes is the more complete, NFL ready, prospect.
      He's faster, more aggressive, and exceptionally better in coverage.
      Both are great linebackers and deserve top 15 picks
      I don't think Spikes is better in coverage. McClain is better from what I see.

However, Spikes is more of an opportunist in coverage, he gambles more.

Neither are world beaters in coverage, but McClain is much more sound. He understands zone concepts better, he flows in and out of his zones, redirects guys in his zones better than Spikes, and is solid chasing backs and blocking TEs out of the backfield in man.

Comment

I feel like both are better suited to be 3-4 ILBs than 4-3 MIKEs.

McClain reminds me of David Harris.

And Spikes reminds me of Bart Scott.

They're different backers, both with good qualities and bad qualities, and I think it really depends moreso on what you're looking for in your MIKE. I don't think 1 is necessarily clearcut better than the other right now.

At least from what Ive seen. I need to grab some more game tapes and really sit down and break both of them down play for play for a couple more games.

Comment

i think if your looking for an EJ Henderson type linebacker both are perfect, either would thrive in tennessee as we take them middle off on nickel plays keeping in the two outsides

Comment

Both look like solid prospects, respectively #1 and #2 at their position.

I'd give the edge to McLain right now. Spikes is getting lowballed, IMO, because of the eyegouge incident. A bit of a temper that could result in unneeded personal foul penalties at the next level. It also helped that he put self punishment on himself.

Neither will break any speed records, but I feel both play faster than their timed speed. They both take good angles and need some good coaching to take their games to the next level in the NFL.

Spikes looks like he could play well in either the 4-3 or 3-4. McLain looks like he's born to play ILB in the 3-4. Really depends on how each team views these guys. Some will probably have them 1, 2 and others may have them 1a, 1b.

This just my opinion on both. I didn't watch all their games for their careers as I'm a Big 10 guy myself. I only saw Spikes and McLain for 4-5 games each. As a Browns fan, I like McLain better, because our ILBs for the long haul are 240lbs or less (DQ, Maiava). Bowens is okay, he's bigger at 265, but over 30 and has 1 maybe 2 years left of being productive. McLain looks as though he could be a D captain within 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              I want to hear your thoughts on the 2. So far, from what ive seen, I think the difference between them is not all that great.

Rolando is a beast, don't get me wrong, but he's not very fast. He looks like a 4.8 guy. He plays tall, tackles tall. He has great awareness, instincts, he's smart, his coverage concepts are very sound although he's not the greatest in coverage bc of his speed. He's a leader etc.

Spikes seems to me like he plays a little faster. He's nastier in the phonebooth although both are pretty nasty in the booth, he's a better blitzer, makes more plays in the backfield. Coverage is not as good, but I feel like his coverage can become better than McClains with time. He plays with a lower center of gravity. Higher motor.

I don't want to make this thread a knock on McClain, bc I love the guy. But right now, from watching him, I don't see how he's a top 10 guy. To be a top 10 LB, you gotta have it all. And I don't think McClain is fast enough to be a top 10 guy.

Contrarily, I think Spikes is getting lowballed right now. I don't think he's as far off from McClain as people think.

My opinion on the 2 can change, as Im still in the process of evaluating both of them, but thats my first impressions of the 2 so far.

Thoughts?
              Basically all agreed. Comparatively I'd say McClain similar to Karlos Dansby and Spikes-Kawika Mitchell.

Originally posted by borg9
              Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

I'd be shocked if McClain tested anywhere near Carlos Dansby as far as straight line speed.

Still, I think both McClain and Spikes are the top ILBs available, and I don't see why they couldn't both be 43 mikes.

I think Spikes ends up a Giant, BTW.

Comment

Pretty much agree with everything you're saying BBD. They're 1A and 1B to me right now. They're essentially the same player in terms of measurables and playing style. One is just a newer, fresher face to the draft analysis.

Comment

If I'm running a 3-4, I'd like to have McClain more. Spikes if I'm running a 4-3.

Though I still wouldn't be upset with either one in either offense...I think they'll both succeed, but being the leader on an elite, championship defense and not having an eye-gouging incident will push McClain up further imo.

I think he's going to be a monster 3-4 ILB, and I know several Chiefs fans who would love to have him where they're at.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                      If I'm running a 3-4, I'd like to have McClain more. Spikes if I'm running a 4-3.

Though I still wouldn't be upset with either one in either offense...I think they'll both succeed, but being the leader on an elite, championship defense and not having an eye-gouging incident will push McClain up further imo.

I think he's going to be a monster 3-4 ILB, and I know several Chiefs fans who would love to have him where they're at.
                      Remember, though, that Spikes was the leader of an elite defense that won a championship just a season ago. Like I said, McClain is just the newer, fresher face of the draft process.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, because as previously stated, they're essentially the same player. If McClain goes top 10, though, I'll hold that Spikes will be much better value at whatever spot he gets selected.

Comment

Actually, if anything Spikes is slower, and that's one of the bigger knocks on him. His quickness is above average at best, and his block shedding is mediocre. He's a good wrap up tackler, and a solid defensive leader, but he's not as talented as Rolando McClain, who compares to Patrick Willis at the next level.

Spikes will be a late first rounder, and McClain should be a top 10 pick.
                        Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

One thing for me that separates McClain from Spikes is his intelligence and leadership. They are both good against the run and can shed blockers however neither has very good speed or sideline to sideline ability which make them both good fits for the 34. At the minute everyone loves McClain however I don't think he goes top ten after all the testing. LBs rarely go that high and I don't think he will be a good fit in the 43 which limits his chances.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I liken McClain to the Jets David Harris.......Except maybe a little bigger (I think he's listed in the 250's). I've only seen Alabama roll all over Texas though.
                            Last edited by katnip; 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM.
                            Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

I think both go to 3-4 teams in the the 10-25 range. Both are going to play inside, and in the 3-4 the Ilb are thumper type of guys and aren't as important as the Olbs. Also they are only as good as the NT in front of them.

Ilb in the 3-4 being thumper type of guys usually, you can pick up these type of backers in the later rounds. And try and address either your line up front or the olb. But I think there are certain teams in the 10-25 range that can go Lb since they are fine at the other spots.

One team is the Steelers, they always have a surprise pick and are always thinking 1 year headed on the defensive side, since their defensive rookies rarely playe the first year.

Jaguars they shows signs of running a 3-4, or at least give looks of it every now and then.

Dolphins possibly

49ers possibly Spikes is still doing enough, but getting their in age.

Pats, Cards Dansby tagged,

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information