How good of a prospect is Dez Bryant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good of a prospect is Dez Bryant?

Something I have wondered. I think people may even be a bit low on him. Here is a tweet from former Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah:

"I have said all along that I thought Dez Bryant was better WR coming out than Crabtree... Haven't found a scout/exec that disagrees"

"is Andre Johnson the best comparison for Dez Bryant?> I have used that comparison... body types are almost identical"

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

i think dez is a good receiver, undoubtedly the number one prospect in this class, but i dont think he is in the andre johnson mold. i cant decide how much i actually like him, i gotta watch more on him...

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Not really Andre Johnson

Great size, great hands, great deep threat...but not great speed. I think he compares to Fitzy more than Andre.

Comment

I really like Bryant and I definitely think he will end up a top ten pick. Not sure I like the Andre Johnson comparison though. I think Johnson is bigger in terms of build, not saying Bryant is small but Andre's an animal.

Im not sure I would definitely take him over Crabtree either. He may end up a bigger playmaker but I think Crabtree's hands are better and he would be a far more polished target.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

There is just something about him that scares me just a gut thing I really don't want to see the Chiefs take him top five.

Comment

Andre Johnson is stupid strong, he had to have at least 10 pounds on Bryant coming out.

Johnson is a guy you can get the ball to whenever you want, in the intermediate range, that's why it doesn't matter who the QB has been, or how much they force feed him the ball, he just sucks in all hte catches and is a load to bring down.

Dez might end up a more dynamic deep threat and threat to score, but who knows, it's hard to break past that 8-10 range, even for great receivers like Marshall and Johnson.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Roy Williams?

Comment

idk T.O comes to mind more the Andre.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                  Something I have wondered. I think people may even be a bit low on him. Here is a tweet from former Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah:

"I have said all along that I thought Dez Bryant was better WR coming out than Crabtree... Haven't found a scout/exec that disagrees"

"is Andre Johnson the best comparison for Dez Bryant?> I have used that comparison... body types are almost identical"

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks
                  Great topic, I've been thinking of the same thing myself. I've always believed he is a Top 10-12 prospect, and had him 5th on my last board. I've since moved Bryant up, all the way to #3. At this point I think he's more worthy of a Top 3 pick than a Defensive Back in Eric Berry. I also worry if Berry will be making a position change in the NFL, though I think he's just fine at Safety.

As for Bryant, he's quicker, faster, and more explosive than most think. Everyone knew he was a beast a year ago. His stats, which he accumulated in a more pro-style offense where the running game was a big part, are rarely posted here. The guy had 87 rec for 1480 yds (17.0 avg) and 19 Td's; in addition to being the nation's best receiver, he was also an explosive punt returner with a 15.3 avg and 2 Td's.

Not many talk about Bryant as a Punt Returner, but that's where you really get to see how good his feet are, how quick he is to accelerate, and his deep speed. He's a sudden player as well, capable of getting separation on comeback routes and out routes. He has elite body control, and is a big, physical guy who makes plays in traffic, and has no fear of going over the middle. He's got strong hands, goes up and gets balls, and creates for himself and runs hard after the catch. I imagine he'll wind up measuring in at about 6'1 3/4 or so 215, and I expect he'll run somewhere around 4.45, perhaps even a bit faster (I just think the guy has excellent explosion and game speed.) The biggest knock against him is his suspension off the field, and the lack of college experience he has on the field.

The more I think about it, the more I see it, Dez Bryant is an elite WR prospect deserving a Top 5 selection in April. He doesn't have all that big a college track record to look at, but in 2008-09 he showcased elite talent, and flashed that same ability in three games this season. Behind Ndamukong Su and Gerald McCoy, I think Dez Bryant is the best NFL prospect in this class. I'm not saying he'll be Andre Johnson, I'm not saying he's Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't think he has to be exactly one of those guys to succeed. I think Bryant will be an impact player right away at the next level, and should be a star receiver in the NFL.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                  - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                  www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

In terms of physique and ability to go up and get the ball...the first player that comes to mind is braylon edwards...
                    "Oh, I think you need all that bass."

Comment

Originally posted by psupride1131 View Post
                      In terms of physique and ability to go up and get the ball...the first player that comes to mind is braylon edwards...
                      I think he is a quicker/faster, more explosive Braylon Edwards as a prospect. Good comparison.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I don't think you can compare Dez to any one as a prospect, but if I was I see some Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson in him. One thing that many people see as a knock, that I see as a spark is his suspension. It will fuel his fire. I think Dez Bryant will be a top notch receiver within 3 years. I like his route running, his hands, he has decent burst, he can get seperation. He also knows how to bait CB's. Not many people can do that at such a young age. Crabtree could do it ok, but I haven't seen a young receiver bait CB's like he does since Fitzgerald. I have Dez in the top tier of prospects this year.
                        Originally posted by njx9
                        i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

I always remember Rashaun Woods whenever there's talk about Dez.
                          Don't think he'll be a bust, and the Andre comparison is spot on.. I wonder if he'll crack a 4.40 flat...
                          GO RAVENS

Comment

Ive been kind of back and forth on Dez. Sucks we didnt get to see him play alot this year

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                            @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I got to watch Dez as a sophmore and I think he is special. The reason why I like him is because of his ability to run after the catch. He's somewhat elusive kind of like Crabtree. Not sure I would compare him to Andre but haven't watched enough Andre.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information