Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character Issues Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Character Issues Thread

    Been following the draft for years but still a relative draft newbie. I get almost all my information from this site and the DC forums are especially helpful.

    One thing I always see is that some player(Spikes, Davis, etc) has character concerns and it might lower their draft stock. Thing is I can never find out what the concerns are and where to find out more about them. Some are obvious, like blount, but others i really have no idea what the concerns are. Also, my guess is that some concerns are more important to scouts that others(like in 2007 when some players admitted to smoking pot and it didnt change their value at all).

    I searched the forum for something related to character concerns and didnt find anything, so I am trying to start one. Here you can post a player who is "tagged" as having character concerns, what the issues are or might be,post links of incidents, and how they may effect their stock. This thread can be a place DC members can refute the concerns if they know its only a rumor, have insider knowledge about the incident(s), it not being a big deal or exaggerated, etc.

  • #2
    Not sure I would put Spikes in the 'character concern' brackett. Yeah he gouged a guys eyes but it was in the heat of the game and there has been no other problems.

    Character concerns are more for people who are

    a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.

    b). weight, stamina concerns. A lot of players have simply eaten their way out of the league.

    c). players who have legal worries be it DUI, drugs, or assault etc.

    I actually think the last one is the least serious for an NFL team. Some players in the NFL with one or more of those listed in group C; Jared Allen, James Harrison, Percy Harvin even Calvin Johnson admitted to taking marijuana in college. If they can be surrounded by level headed guys in the lockerroom they can be turned around.

    However, if you are unmotivated or undisciplined about your weight there is nothing that can change that. Vernon Gholston got top ten money and should have started under Mangini. When he didn't everyone thought if anyone can get it out of him it will be Rex Ryan. Well, after almost two full season he has still to register a sack.

    In regards to Anthony Davis he has been benched a few times and has struggled in the past to keep his weight in check.
    Last edited by AntoinCD; 01-22-2010, 07:14 AM.


    BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

    Comment


    • #3
      I think your#1 and #2 have a direct relation to each other and can be pretty much categorized together.

      Comment


      • #4
        My character concerns led to me going undrafted last year even after I declared early after a bang-up flag season for the ages.

        Watch out Jimmy Clausen.
        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
        RIP themaninblack

        Comment


        • #5
          Brandon Spikes...he has been dropping like a rock for other, more legitimate reasons but I'm still high on him. The eye gouging definitely didn't him any favors.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
            Brandon Spikes...he has been dropping like a rock for other, more legitimate reasons but I'm still high on him. The eye gouging definitely didn't him any favors.
            It rised him in Al Davis' book.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
              Not sure I would put Spikes in the 'character concern' brackett. Yeah he gouged a guys eyes but it was in the heat of the game and there has been no other problems.

              Character concerns are more for people who are

              a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.

              b). weight, stamina concerns. A lot of players have simply eaten their way out of the league.

              c). players who have legal worries be it DUI, drugs, or assault etc.

              I actually think the last one is the least serious for an NFL team. Some players in the NFL with one or more of those listed in group C; Jared Allen, James Harrison, Percy Harvin even Calvin Johnson admitted to taking marijuana in college. If they can be surrounded by level headed guys in the lockerroom they can be turned around.

              However, if you are unmotivated or undisciplined about your weight there is nothing that can change that. Vernon Gholston got top ten money and should have started under Mangini. When he didn't everyone thought if anyone can get it out of him it will be Rex Ryan. Well, after almost two full season he has still to register a sack.

              In regards to Anthony Davis he has been benched a few times and has struggled in the past to keep his weight in check.
              doesnt everyone?

              and i also agree with the point that lazy players are the worst. i feel as though if someone smokes weed it isnt a big deal. hell, michael phelps does. but a player who is lazy and doesnt try or have a consistent motor is a bad player in my book. for example, i wouldnt touch carlos dunlap until the late second at the earliest. a lazy player is a bad player, just ask jamarcus and vernon.

              Bonekrusher.

              Originally posted by JordanTaber
              Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.

                b). weight, stamina concerns. A lot of players have simply eaten their way out of the league.
                j russ, gotta love him

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by prock View Post
                  doesnt everyone?

                  and i also agree with the point that lazy players are the worst. i feel as though if someone smokes weed it isnt a big deal. hell, michael phelps does. but a player who is lazy and doesnt try or have a consistent motor is a bad player in my book. for example, i wouldnt touch carlos dunlap until the late second at the earliest. a lazy player is a bad player, just ask jamarcus and vernon.
                  At OU, we don't have a whole lot of pro athletes, but Detroit Lions DT Landon Cohen has smoked blunts with a couple of my friends both before he was drafted and well after, and he's told them that people don't realize how many current NFL players do. I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd grab some headie nuggets, get an entourage of my friends and some women, and hot box the **** out of my limo, with a few bottles of wine and champagne, bump my music loud, then go to a nice dinner, hell maybe even go to a burger place and drive 3-4 of them in me.

                  big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                  - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                  www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                    At OU, we don't have a whole lot of pro athletes, but Detroit Lions DT Landon Cohen has smoked blunts with a couple of my friends both before he was drafted and well after, and he's told them that people don't realize how many current NFL players do. I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd grab some headie nuggets, get an entourage of my friends and some women, and hot box the **** out of my limo, with a few bottles of wine and champagne, bump my music loud, then go to a nice dinner, hell maybe even go to a burger place and drive 3-4 of them in me.
                    amen. one of my buddies who lives in my hall once smoked a couple joints with jeremy roenick, as in the 9-time NHL all star and potential hall of famer. no body gives a **** if you smoke weed, because everyone smokes ******* weed. to me, the biggest character concerns are domestic violence or other major crimes, laziness, and lack of discipline. marijuana is a wash

                    Bonekrusher.

                    Originally posted by JordanTaber
                    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by prock View Post
                      amen. one of my buddies who lives in my hall once smoked a couple joints with jeremy roenick, as in the 9-time NHL all star and potential hall of famer. no body gives a **** if you smoke weed, because everyone smokes ******* weed. to me, the biggest character concerns are domestic violence or other major crimes, laziness, and lack of discipline. marijuana is a wash
                      Exactly. If I had people hassling me for autographs everywhere I went, you better believe I'd be hittin the town after few blunts or maybe after an earth-shaking bong... I'd probably turn into more of a sunglasses guy than I am now.

                      big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                        Exactly. If I had people hassling me for autographs everywhere I went, you better believe I'd be hittin the town after few blunts or maybe after an earth-shaking bong... I'd probably turn into more of a sunglasses guy than I am now.
                        invest in visine. its better than sunglasses lol

                        Bonekrusher.

                        Originally posted by JordanTaber
                        Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by prock View Post
                          invest in visine. its better than sunglasses lol
                          Psh, when i need to get the job done, nothing does it better than the fresh icy feel of Rohto's. I could do a commercial for that stuff.

                          big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                            a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.
                            You answered your own question. They're going to get motivated because they'll get paid millions of dollars for doing well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wordofi View Post
                              You answered your own question. They're going to get motivated because they'll get paid millions of dollars for doing well.
                              Hi my name's Mike Williams, and you will never know if I'm the WR or the OT, but I still support this message BLING BLING MOFO

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information