Jimmy Clausen underrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Clausen underrated

Im writing this, partially inspired by an article I cant find anymore.

First of all I am a domer fan but that is not the reason I was writing this article. I saw skins fans saying things in the line of Jimmy not being a top10 talent. To look at this objectively one can best look at the simple facts.

as of now Clausen has had better stats than any other recent pro style qb in recent history (dont feel like finding them again but if you doubt me, JC was compared to the junior years of sanchez, stafford, cutler, rodgers, roethlisberger, palmer, leinart and a few others and had the best completion%, yards/attempts and the most TD's/least intereceptions). He did this in probably the most complex system in college football with great receiver support but a terrible offensive line.

To boot Clausen has plenty of experience in the national spotlight doing arguably the toughest job in college football. He also had a great improvement every year and good intellegence.

Now i'll get into the more subjective part.
    Pros:
    - Great deep ball
    - Gets better with the game on the line.
    - Plenty arm strength (less than stafford, better than sanchez)
    - Great student of the game
    - Ridiculous accuracy

Cons
    - Personality might rub people the wrong way
    - Lack of wins (who is to blame)
    - lack of mobility/pocket presence

Overall I dont get how people would regard him as a lesser prospect than Sanchez for instance. Statwise he is the best pro style prospect in recent history, I would actually get Clausen number 1 overall but I dont think he should fall beyond the skins.

Imo Clausen really suffers from people just hating ND and projecting that hate onto him as a prospect
    Overall I dont get how one would rate him lower than

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Personality should never be a con for a prospect. He has no character issues as far as trouble. His teammates seemed to like him. That being said, give me Jimmy Clausen over Mark Sanchez.

Comment

I would be quite happy if the Bills took him in rd.1
      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

I would disagree with a couple of points there, i think his pocket presence is good and his deep throws are questionable. He wants to throw it up there and let his receivers go up for it. May get him in trouble at the next level.

Do agree he is underrated.

Comment

Clausen is an extremely underrated prospect. Hes a lot like Sanchez just with more experience really but a little less mobility.

Theyre the same size, great fundamentals. Sanchez has better feet but Clausen has proven more carrying his team especially late in games.

I dont understand it either. Im completely nuetral to ND but Clausen to me is a legit top 5 prospect. Hes a little like Matt Ryan too in that people will question the upside because he seems like a finished product. One of the big question marks for Peyton Manning was his upside.
          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

I think he could very welll be the number one pick. I don't see him getting out the top 10, however. The Rams, Redskins, Seahawks, Bills could all use him. I wouldn't count out a team trading up either.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              his deep throws are questionable. He wants to throw it up there and let his receivers go up for it. May get him in trouble at the next level.
              I agree with this, he tends to just throw a pop fly in the general vicinity of Tate or Floyd, and because they're so much better than the defenders they face it works out often enough. Clausen is unlikely to have that luxury in the NFL.
              Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                I would disagree with a couple of points there, i think his pocket presence is good and his deep throws are questionable. He wants to throw it up there and let his receivers go up for it. May get him in trouble at the next level.

Do agree he is underrated.
                That depends on who his receivers are.
                If its to D.Avery then I agree.
                If its Megatron then I don't. He had the weapons to do that in ND so I don't knock him for taking advantage of it
                -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlinger View Post
                  I agree with this, he tends to just throw a pop fly in the general vicinity of Tate or Floyd, and because they're so much better than the defenders they face it works out often enough. Clausen is unlikely to have that luxury in the NFL.
                  he throws way cleaner deep balls on the other receivers though, the reason he throws them a bit floppy to Floyd and Tate is that they usually are able to make the adjustments to the ball so that the floppy balls have a higher chance of being completed.

Its just enabling his receivers to make the plays, to see that he can also throw them clean check out the pass he threw deep to tate in the 08 season, clean as a whistle.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                  - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                  - Corner or Wideout in the first
                  - No reaching
                  - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Im a skins fan and I love clausen. Just to commment on some of your thoughts, his deep ball isn't great, it tends to float and hang in the air a little bit. And on his negative, for his lack of wins thats sorely on the notre dame defense. Clausen threw 5 TD and 0 INT against stanford and they still lost..

That said, Im all for clausen being taken by the skins
                    Last edited by FloridaSkinzFan; 01-24-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I'd take Clausen over Sanchez.. and possibly over Stafford too if they were in the same class.

Comment

I would heavily challenge the idea that Notre Dame's offensive scheme is "the most complex" in the country. I think Weiss actually whittled a lot down for his quarterbacks at Notre Dame, making that offense a whole lot more like Jeff Tedford's (single-side reads, etc).

Beyond that, Clausen looks pretty good. He really reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, although his release is a little slower. That said, Clausen definitely has more experience throwing the long ball than Rodgers had coming out of Cal. That said, he doesn't blow me away. Is he worth a top 10 pick? In this draft: yes. Is he an amazing quarterback prospect? I don't really think so.

edit - for the record, Clausen rates higher for me than Sanchez did mostly because of experience, but he isn't much higher. Both would be clearly behind Stafford for me.

Comment

i agree, i just got in a heated draft discussion with a friend of mine and i was telling him how clausen should be the first pick, pointing out everything you just said. good job.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                          Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

He's widely considered a top 10 talent and a lot of people think he'll be the #1 pick. He's not underrated.

When your dissent is Todd McShay and Redskins fans, I think you're okay.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
                              i agree, i just got in a heated draft discussion with a friend of mine and i was telling him how clausen should be the first pick, pointing out everything you just said. good job.
                              If he's the 1st pick it's totally based on need. There are other guys with higher grades.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information