Earl Thomas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl Thomas

Does anyone here get the feeling that Thomas may end up being taken before Mays? At times I get the thought to rank him above Mays.

yes. a lot of people share this view.

Comment

Based on college production, yes, possibly. But I think Mays is beginning to alleviate some questions about what he's capable of in the pros.
      If D coordinators feel they can scheme ways to put Mays between a WR and the football, I think Mays physical tools will be too overwhelming for some teams to ignore.
      I could easily see Berry, Mays, and Thomas all go in the top 25 picks, and I don't think there's a whole lot a separation athletically or as football players between Thomas and Berry.
      Among the top 3 safeties, (IMO Berry, Mays/Thomas), Earl Thomas will come at the greatest discount.

Comment

No. Mays has a high chance of going in the Top 10, and Thomas will not go in the Top 10 any way.

Comment

I still like Mays before Thomas. Mays sort of held his own this week and his strongsuit is going to be the combine. Put him and Thomas side by side in a beauty contest and the scouts are going to be all over Mays.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
            No. Mays has a high chance of going in the Top 10, and Thomas will not go in the Top 10 any way.
            Who do you think might take Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?

I could see the Raiders taking Mays top 10. I was just wondering if you could see any other team taking Mays top 10.
            Last edited by Texas Homer; 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Homer View Post
              Who do you think takes Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?
              I can see Seattle trading down a little with their first pick but i think they'll target Mays at #14 and if he's not there then so be it. Tackle is probably their 1st choice.

Comment

Earl Thomas >>> Taylor Mays
                Eric Berry >>>>> Taylor Mays
                Reshad Jones > Taylor Mays
                -They're the same in pass coverage, Mays is more disciplined but Jones has more ball skills. But Jones is better in run support.

And I don't know enough to compare him and Chad Jones, but I think in terms of physical ability they're about equal.

Comment

Reshad Jones over Taylor Mays? That may be a bit harsh on the guy...

I have Thomas currently rated over Mays, but I don't think it is by that much. I love Thomas' versatility. He's capable of playing cornerback if needed and has the range and elite closing speed of a safety. A legit top 15 talent.

Mays is just outside the Top 15 right now, I think I have him around 16-20.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Physically speaking Mays is off the Charts, he is a big hitter who has shown some flashes of being a player that can get some INT's. I doubt his ability to really matchup in coverage, but depending on the system that may not matter.

Berry is likely the #2 or #3 most physically gifted Safety available, who can lay the wood a bit, but really excels in coverage and making "big plays" his versatility and coverage skills are why he rates as a top 5 pick.

I see Thomas as a smaller Berry. Thomas can coverage, has great closing speed and range, but just isnt the physical freak Mays happens to be.

At the end of the day, system will dictate an awful lot. If you expect your safety to live in the box for run support and to act as another LB - then Mays is solid gold for you. If you want your safety to be a bit more of a center fielder with more coverage responsibilities I think you need to look at Thomas.

As a 49ers fan, I would love to see Thomas because we need his coverage ability and big play skills. That being said, Mays is such a freak with otherworldly potential I wouldn't totally be upset with his pick either.

Comment

1.Berry
                      2.Thomas
                      3.Chad Jones
                      4.Mays

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

I have a feeling Chad Jones will be the guy who surprisingly takes that #2 spot. Teams will just fall in love with how vicious that kid is.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                          I have a feeling Chad Jones will be the guy who surprisingly takes that #2 spot. Teams will just fall in love with how vicious that kid is.
                          Yes! I thought I was alone in this. I feel like Jones is the player Mays could be. He has similar size, obviously he's not as fast as Mays but he can move, and he can lay the wood in coverage and in run support. More importantly, when he hits somebody, they actually go down!

I think the 3 of them (Mays, Thomas, Jones) should be ranked very similar, but I think Jones is my favourite.
                          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlinger View Post
                            Yes! I thought I was alone in this. I feel like Jones is the player Mays could be. He has similar size, obviously he's not as fast as Mays but he can move, and he can lay the wood in coverage and in run support. More importantly, when he hits somebody, they actually go down!

I think the 3 of them (Mays, Thomas, Jones) should be ranked very similar, but I think Jones is my favourite.
                            Chad is stronger and a better run defender that Taylor but despite his good athletic ability and range he doesn't cover half as much ground as Mays does when playing deep. I like him and he's a very nice project pick with major upside but right now Taylor is a lot better playing deep which is why he's a lot more NFL ready.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                            JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                            Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                            Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                            Originally posted by JBCX
                            Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Homer View Post
                              Who do you think might take Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?

I could see the Raiders taking Mays top 10. I was just wondering if you could see any other team taking Mays top 10.
                              I can see the Seahawks taking him at #6. Hell, even the Chiefs if the Bucs take Berry.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information