Post Senior Bowl Big Board 2/1/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Senior Bowl Big Board 2/1/10

1. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska - Dominant and productive, what more do you need? Suh and McCoy are two of the best I've seen in years. Impacts the play consistently.

2. Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma - After rewatching McCoy, the gap is closing. Combine and Pro Day will be huge.. he's already producing and his upside is higher than Suh's, in my opinion. He could be Kevin Williams part 2.

3. Eric Berry S Tennessee - He's gotten better technically with each of his three years at Tennessee. Will not be an instant impact safety but give him a year and he'll be traveling to many Pro Bowls. Need to see easier tackles from him. He just looks like he is exerting so much energy to get a guy down sometimes unlike other elite NFL safeties.

4. Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State - Haters gonna hate... he's got rare feet and is very nimble. Intelligent and reactive player. He's not a dominating run blocker, but if the Super Bowl is any indication, passing the ball is en vogue and he protects the guy that does it better than anyone in this draft. Great character as well.

5. Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma - More upside and from the surface appears to have better intangibles than Clausen. Above average in every single facet except accuracy where he is at a rare level. I don't think the system is a huge concern for him. They make lots of NFL throws at OU. Just not the same route combos.

6. Rolando McClain LB Alabama - Love him. Many Pro Bowls in his future in the right scheme. Every tool in the book with a streak of nastiness. Ready to be inserted into an NFL defense and eat ballcarriers from Day 1. His FBI (football instincts) are the best I have seen since Patrick Willis. 3-4 ILB is his best position imo.

7. Earl Thomas S Texas - Actually very similar to Eric Berry. Berry is more filled out in the lower half but Thomas is just as rangy. Best suited as a read and react type safety that can play the deep half similar to Ed Reed.

8. Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State - Ummm.. YouTube this kid's highlights and tell me he's not the best WR in this class. He's got some things to work on but he's got all the abilities you look for in a #1 NFL WR. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt on the character concerns.. his teammates love him.

9. Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame - I think he's more NFL ready than Sam Bradford. Weis taught him a ton of little things that some NFL quarterbacks don't do yet in their careers. He got beat up bad at ND yet still came back every single time. Underrated leader as well. He floats his deep balls a bit and loses his mechanics at times but he's going to make a team very happy if he's not asked to throw it 35-40 times a game and continually strech teams vertically.

10. CJ Spiller RB Clemson - No prospect was helped more by the success of Ray Rice than Spiller. Somebody's going to take this kid in the top 10-15 picks and he's going to make them very happy. I'm not saying he's as good an inside runner as Rice, because he's not, but, come on. Baltimore made the playoffs with Rice getting 25% of Flacco's completions. Classic triple threat with running, receiving, and returning. He has the rare ability to run vertical routes out of the backfield and actually catch the ball over his shoulder. Electric and versatile. Good combo.

11. Joe Haden CB Florida - It's a weak corner class overall, but I think present day Joe Haden would have been taken first in the '08, '09, and '10 drafts. He's got the it factor you want in your corner, the nobody's gonna beat me mentality that every single great corner has. He's got good-to-very good cover ability and has shown the tendency to come in and support the run pretty effectively. No physical limitations with this kid.

12. Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech - Morgan is a guy who doesn't jump out when watching him, but he quietly produces and produces. Very productive with a great frame. I don't know if he's explosive enough to be a truly dominant NFL DE. He definitely can't play OLB in a 3-4. Reminds me a lot of Justin Smith.

13. Anthony Davis OT Rutgers - You're taking this kid for upside. He's got McKinnie-like ability when motivated. If you get him pissed, none shall pass. He just seems lazy out there. Maybe it's because he plays for Rutgers and doesn't get to be in the spotlight much, but I dunno. I think an NFL OL coach gets effort out of him. Weight and character concerns. He looks chubby.

14a. Daryl Washington WLB TCU - Probably the highest on Big Daryl than anyone here, but I love the kid. He's explosive, he's a huge hitter, he excels in pass coverage, he's got great intangibles. Chad Greenway on steroids. He needs to work on shedding blockers, but he can get around a good amount of them using his agility before he's engaged. If he gets put into a 4-3 defense at weakside linebacker, he's gonna be a stud for somebody.

14b. Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri - Couldn't justify putting Weatherspoon lower than Washington. I really like both these kids. He's got the leadership you want with tools that line up for days. I would prefer Washington due to his nastiness, but Weatherspoon really impressed me at the Senior Bowl all week.

15. Trent Williams OT Oklahoma - He's going to either be a stud right tackle or an above average left tackle for someone. I don't know if he's got the composure at the next level. I saw lapses in judgement and overall play during big games this year (Miami game comes to mind specifically) I know have some concerns about his arm length, but his punch is really good and he can use his temper to his advantage. Good balance of run and pass blocking ability. I think he's best at right tackle personally.

16. Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma - He reminds me of a better blocking Jermichael Finley. Rare for a kid his size to explode off the line and into his route like Gresham does. He will be able to split out wide at times in the NFL. Reliable hands. He's not a burner in a straight line, but he's agile enough. Not sure if he can break a lot of tackles at the next level, someone will have to work with him on that. Underrated blocker who uses his pads really well but lacks true strength.

17. Dan Williams DT Tennessee - He's leapt miles ahead of Terrence Cody after Senior Bowl week. A much better frame than Cody, although he tires in games. Unbelievable lower body strength. You have to watch this kid individually in game. He is like a magnet for blockers. I saw him take on 2 guys and chip a pulling guard numerous times versus SEC offenses. Yeah, he's a 2 down player, but he's not completely useless as a pass rusher as he has a pretty good bull rush. If you're looking for a 3-4 NT, he's your man this year.

18. Brandon Graham DE/OLB Michigan - Classic rush backer. There are concerns he is going to be the same player in 5 years than he is now, but I think that current player's pretty damn good. The Woodley comparisons are almost scary. I think Graham can drop into a zone decent enough. His FBI are in the upper tier of players in this draft. Uses his height as a weapon as a pass rusher. He gets loooooooooooooow.

19. Mike Iupati OG Idaho - I just don't value guard play as much as some other people, especially with the lack of quality interior line play in the NFL. He's as good a guard prospect as they get. He's a second level seeking missile. It's almost comical to watch him during games this year against the teams they played. He'd move from guy to guy like a SNES Mario game map after you beat a level. I don't anticipate stunts and twists effecting him that much, but he didn't really see a lot of that in college so you have to wonder how quickly he adjusts to that.

20. Brian Price DT UCLA - Has any first round player accumulated less hype than Brian Price? He's a solid prospect with a blend of size, mean streak, and athleticism. I question his technique, I think he gets too high way too much and gets pushed back if he doesn't beat his defender initially. He's not strong as an ox strong, but it's adequate. Should be a solid NFL player who contributes for a long time. Very coachable and has upside.

21. Jason Pierre-Paul DE USF - I just haven't seen enough from him to justify as a top 5 pick. If Carlos Dunlap is not a top 5 pick, neither is JPP. No real production to speak of and a very small body of work to look at. He's got great size and a frame that can add some weight. Good first step and showed some versatility as a pass rusher. He's just not good against the run. He does not show any ability to get rid of blockers once engaged. His hands don't look great to me. Also questionable football instincts. He just doesn't seem totally "there" all the time.

22. Taylor Mays S USC - Probably too low for Mays, I'll admit. He didn't impress me this year after looking great as a sophomore and junior. I don't know if it was the loss of talent around him or he just got worse? He will go in Round 1 because you just don't find athletes like him very often. I think he can be a legit NFL safety with some seasoning. Should be an impact special teamer in year 1.

23. Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa - I just keep getting reminded of that Michigan game. He just looked miserable versus Brandon Graham. Graham is good, but can Bulaga continually block NFL defensive ends? He looked better in other games that I saw him, though. I love his hands versus speed guys. I just don't know if he will hold up physically versus the bull rush. Steady improvement as a run blocker, will come if he can get stronger. I think he's best off sitting on the bench for a year. Combine will be huge for him.

24. Everson Griffen DE USC - It doesn't get any more draft cliche than Everson Griffen. "Inconsistent pass rusher with considerable talent". All the talent in the world, but you just didn't hear his name called that much. He needs to get nasty and play with a chip on his shoulder.

25. Chad Jones S LSU - These are going to get shorter, but long story short, he's a violent player who has a great frame and needs to show more consistency.

26. Carlos Dunlap DE Florida - See Griffen, Everson.

27. Arrelious Benn WR Illinois - Very physical receiver with some juke to him. Very good YAC receiver. I don't think he'll ever be a #1 but he will put up good numbers if relied upon.

28. Golden Tate WR Notre Dame - He's a weird prospect. He's not a burner, he's not particularly physical, and his route running could be better. But it's unique for someone to go and get the ball like he does. He routinely beat press (see USC game) and his hands are silky. Excels at areas most prospects need improvement in. Boom or bust.

29. Jahvid Best RB California - Poor man's CJ Spiller. Underrated as a receiver. Miserable pass blocker and has concussion concerns. Touchdown maker. He's surprisingly tough inside, but he always seems to look for the sidelines after the first level. He's pretty clearly not capable of being a reliable 3-down back. His jukes are absolutely filthy.

30. Ed Dickson TE Oregon - He along with Daryl Washington are my favorite "under the radar" type guys. Dickson looked great from what I saw in Mobile and I've said before he reminds me a lot of Visanthe Shiancoe.

Whew, that was a lot of writing. 2,083 words. Feedback welcome!
    Last edited by djp; 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM.
    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Daryl Washington has the speed of a CB and the strength of a DT.

Comment

You did a good job of making every player sound like the best player ever.

Comment

Question.. How far do you think Chad Jones shoots up if he has a great combine/workouts and interviews?

Comment

Although Dan Williams would be my ideal player to the Saints I am starting to develop a man crush on Daryl Washington. Spoon would also look spiffy in the Black and Gold but I think Washington has more upside.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            Question.. How far do you think Chad Jones shoots up if he has a great combine/workouts and interviews?
            I think he's a fringe first rounder if the draft was tomorrow. If he is great the rest of the way, I would guess around 15-20. I think the Giants take a long hard look at him if Thomas is gone.

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
            Although Dan Williams would be my ideal player to the Saints I am starting to develop a man crush on Daryl Washington. Spoon would also look spiffy in the Black and Gold but I think Washington has more upside.
            Either of those 3 players fit the bill for New Orleans. I am not sure New Orleans has quite the stout run defending lineman for Washington to be at his peak.. he's not going to win versus NFL guards when he's engaged. I think Weatherspoon is a better fit as he's slightly more polished in that regard. Dan Williams doesn't look like he's going to be there at 32 or 31 for NO.
            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Originally posted by TheRoo View Post
              You did a good job of making every player sound like the best player ever.
              haha, probably. It's a very good draft class with lots of solid top 15 picks, however. But point taken. I'll try to be more critical next time, although I think I addressed most of the weaknesses for each player.

Comment

i have a hard time coming up with these type boards because i have to almost have a specific team in mind to determine rank. i do agree with okung at #4. sergio and von miller were neutralized this year and i can't remember him having a truly bad game. position importance should keep him in top 5.
                SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Just to elaborate on Chad Jones a bit more.. he got lost on his own sometimes with some similarities in coverage to another former LSU safety in LaRon Landry. Not quite the same frequency in lapses than Landry, but I can see him being exploited when isolated one-on-one like Landry did. He's never been 100% committed to football as he doesn't get a lot of offseason training in due to his baseball.

He's a heck of a baseball player, by the way. I remember his dreads hanging from his cap at the CWS last year and he was throwing gas as a lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                    i have a hard time coming up with these type boards because i have to almost have a specific team in mind to determine rank. i do agree with okung at #4. sergio and von miller were neutralized this year and i can't remember him having a truly bad game. position importance should keep him in top 5.
                    Okung is not a wowing type lineman like Andre Smith was last year. I think that's why people rank him below where he should be. He's got the hands and feet of an elite pass protector. He will go in the top 5 barring an injury or miserable meltdown in Indy. The numbers and video don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
                      23. Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa - I just keep getting reminded of that Michigan game. He just looked miserable versus Brandon Graham. Graham is good, but can Bulaga continually block NFL defensive ends? He looked better in other games that I saw him, though. I love his hands versus speed guys. I just don't know if he will hold up physically versus the bull rush. Steady improvement as a run blocker, will come if he can get stronger. I think he's best off sitting on the bench for a year. Combine will be huge for him.
                      Just as a general comment since a lot of people all over reference it, I still don't understand how people look at the Michigan game as just another game for Bulaga. Bulaga missed 3 weeks due to his thyroid condition. He wasn't cleared to play until the middle of the week leading up to the Arkansas St. game in week 5. Bulaga basically went 21 days of the 2009 season without any meaningful practice or workouts (he had a couple "workouts" to gauge whether he could return, but they were light and short).

His first full week of practice came the week leading up to the Michigan game the following week. I think it's pretty safe to assume he was a little rusty and out of shape, and don't think many players would be anywhere near 100% with only a week of practice.

I don't think using his first 2 weeks back after not working out for 3 weeks are very accurate gauges, considering every other game he's started the last 2 seasons he has pretty much been absolutely dominant.

As a second note, specifically to djp, I was kind of confused where you reference his run blocking. Did you mean he can improve as a run blocker? If so, I'm very confused. Bulaga's biggest strength is that he is an absolutely dominant run blocker, probably the best in this class. His pass blocking can improve a lot and is probably what will hurt his stock.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                        Just as a general comment since a lot of people all over reference it, I still don't understand how people look at the Michigan game as just another game for Bulaga. Bulaga missed 3 weeks due to his thyroid condition. He wasn't cleared to play until the middle of the week leading up to the Arkansas St. game in week 5. Bulaga basically went 21 days of the 2009 season without any meaningful practice or workouts (he had a couple "workouts" to gauge whether he could return, but they were light and short).

His first full week of practice came the week leading up to the Michigan game the following week. I think it's pretty safe to assume he was a little rusty and out of shape, and don't think many players would be anywhere near 100% with only a week of practice.

I don't think using his first 2 weeks back after not working out for 3 weeks are very accurate gauges, considering every other game he's started the last 2 seasons he has pretty much been absolutely dominant.

As a second note, specifically to djp, I was kind of confused where you reference his run blocking. Did you mean he can improve as a run blocker? If so, I'm very confused. Bulaga's biggest strength is that he is an absolutely dominant run blocker, probably the best in this class. His pass blocking can improve a lot and is probably what will hurt his stock.
                        The comment was meant as it has improved steadily in his time there but I don't think he's got the brute strength to be a dominant run blocker right away. He's got very good technique, but I just don't see him getting the same push in year 1 until he gets stronger. I should have worded that better, my mistake.

As far as the Michigan game comment, that's a very good point. That was by far the worst game he played and I don't disagree that the condition didn't negatively impact his play. He's been bull rushed in college more often than most 1st round tackle prospects, though. It wasn't just that one game.

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
                          The comment was meant as it has improved steadily in his time there but I don't think he's got the brute strength to be a dominant run blocker right away. He's got very good technique, but I just don't see him getting the same push in year 1 until he gets stronger. I should have worded that better, my mistake.

As far as the Michigan game comment, that's a very good point. That was by far the worst game he played and I don't disagree that the condition didn't negatively impact his play. He's been bull rushed in college more often than most 1st round tackle prospects, though. It wasn't just that one game.
                          Ok, I was just wondering because the wording confused me. :( Thanks for clarification, I pretty much agree with that.

To the second point, I also agree. It sucks that it basically was a perfect storm of just coming off injury to face Graham, and even then Schofield the next week. Like I said before, his pass blocking needs work, and you're correct he tends to get bull rushed more often then he should.

I think Bulaga is seen as a really good OT prospect because of his athleticism, technique, and the fact that he really doesn't need to improve his run blocking outside of adding strength. While it will probably happen once draft day draws nearer, I'm really glad there haven't been many comparisons to Gallery because that would be the worst comparison some could make.

Also, I meant to say earlier but forgot, but great job djp on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by iowatreat54 View Post
                            Ok, I was just wondering because the wording confused me. :( Thanks for clarification, I pretty much agree with that.

To the second point, I also agree. It sucks that it basically was a perfect storm of just coming off injury to face Graham, and even then Schofield the next week. Like I said before, his pass blocking needs work, and you're correct he tends to get bull rushed more often then he should.

I think Bulaga is seen as a really good OT prospect because of his athleticism, technique, and the fact that he really doesn't need to improve his run blocking outside of adding strength. While it will probably happen once draft day draws nearer, I'm really glad there haven't been many comparisons to Gallery because that would be the worst comparison some could make.
                            But they're both from Iowa...

I like him, I just don't see him having the impact that Okung or Trent Williams have early and I don't know if Bulaga ever gets better than either of those two. Add in the fact that Anthony Davis is also a raw LT (and most including myself see Davis having more upside than Bulaga) and Bulaga is kinda caught in a numbers game.

I could see him being the best tackle in the draft down the road, and I think he's a safe bet of at least being a solid left tackle in the Jeff Backus mold (and I don't think anyone picking in the 20's will have a problem with that)
                            Last edited by djp; 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

good **** djp. you are a lot higher on earlz and bradford than i am, but i agree with most things you said.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                              Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information