Ryan Mallett vs Jake Locker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Mallett vs Jake Locker

Personally, I like Mallet a lot more. Ryan will be the next Drew Bledsoe, with more mobility. He has the size, arm strength, mobility and the mental make up to suceed in the NFL. I really don't get the Jake Locker love, I mean the guy can't get to a bowl game, I know that is not a slight to him, but the same guys that love him and say he can do it by himself, are the same ones that hate on Jimmy Clausen because of his record. I think he is vastly overrated, his has a funny throwing motion and he is just not that impressive throwing the football. Ryan Mallet will be the #1 overall pick in 2011 NFL draft with a good season.

I have Mallett as a Top 3 prospect next year and the best quarterback. His game is severely over-criticized and the numbers he puts up against top defenses in the SEC are brilliant. Put together the arm and the developing mentality on the field and you have the #1 overall pick next year.

Although I like Locker too (rated somewhere in Top 10 in my inital board), I just think Mallett's potential gives him the edge over Locker, at this point at least.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

I liked Mallet when he went to Michigan and was excited he went to Arkansas. I think he iwll blow it up this season with the other SEC team losing some of their best defensive players, most notably Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by dregolll View Post
        Personally, I like Mallet a lot more. Ryan will be the next Drew Bledsoe, with more mobility. He has the size, arm strength, mobility and the mental make up to suceed in the NFL. I really don't get the Jake Locker love, I mean the guy can't get to a bowl game, I know that is not a slight to him, but the same guys that love him and say he can do it by himself, are the same ones that hate on Jimmy Clausen because of his record. I think he is vastly overrated, his has a funny throwing motion and he is just not that impressive throwing the football. Ryan Mallet will be the #1 overall pick in 2011 NFL draft with a good season.
        Let me say i like Mallett though i question if there is any mobility there that you refer to. He has a top tier arm at the next level and just needs another year to be a high pick, i do think he might have gone the Mark Sanchez route and could have been picked pretty early this year.

Big Jake Locker fan. Personally i dont think you have to downgrade one player to pump up your guy,not sure if that is the point here. Locker has the prototypical arm, size and speed to be a great QB at the next level. I think another year is good for him although he too would have gone high this year. You mention his throwing motion and i dont see anything there at all that needs refining. He has near perfect mechanics in that department. As for the teams record they were 0 for the season the year before when he was out and won 5 games this year with 3 more that went down to the final minutes of the game. His line and receivers were very green and they had probably the worst kick return teams in the country which meant they didnt actually benefit from good field position.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          Personally i dont think you have to downgrade one player to pump up your guy,not sure if that is the point here.
          Exactly. Ryan Mallett's my guy personally, but the two rank 1 and 2 on my 2011 Big Board. Jake Locker would have inevitably challenged for the #1 Quarterback spot this year and thus also getting a shot to go #1 Overall. We'll see what the two can do in their respective conferences. I'll be very interested to see how Ryan Mallett's footwork has progressed keeping the weight off, how his timing with his receivers has progressed, and how his teammates respond to him on the field. For Locker, I think he has all the tools to be a franchise QB prospect and should only get better this year with more reps in Sarkisian's pro-style offense. Both will be very high picks come April and I think we could be looking at back to back QBs going #1/#2 depending on who's up there.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Gimme Locker. I prefer a mobile quarterback. But that's just me. I love Mallet too, but I personally like mobile quarterbacks.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

how about ponder for the top qb next year?

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                how about ponder for the top qb next year?
                I'm taking a wait and see approach for Ponder, but I don't see a way he passes either of these guys, let alone both. I have a high opinion of Mallett and Locker though.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Ponder is definitely a guy to watch throughout 2011. I don't think he'll ever be considered the top quarterback of the class, but I really don't doubt he has the ability to be an late 1st/early 2nd round pick next year.

He is extremely poised in the pocket (improved from his sophomore season) and is really an underrated athlete.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

yeah i'd love ponder next year. he's smart, has decent size and a decent arm, and yes very athletic. fsu didn't have much on offense this year but he put up good numbers.

Comment

No Kellen Moore?

Comment

Though Mallett and Locker will walk into next year with most of the hype (deservingly so) the biggest sleeper HAS to be Ponder.

I watched nearly all of FSU's games last year and I came away VERY impressed. He has a great blend of build/size - elusiveness/speed - arm strength.

He has been working with Jimbo at FSU who I consider to be a darn good QB coach and if he shows even half the improvement he showed from Soph season to Junior season I think he is a legit 1st round quarterback who will likely make people take another look at both Mallet and Locker.

Comment

2 guys to keep an eye on who could potentially declare next year: Blaine Gabbert and Andrew Luck

Comment

Give me Andrew Luck over both of them.

Locker I like physically but at this point in his career, he closely resembles Akili Smith.

Mallet I like as well but at 6'7 and built like a beanpole, he really nees to add some size and even though he has a pretty good throwing motion for his height, I don't see the accuracy on a consistent basis.

All three are young and this next season will be big for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                              No Kellen Moore?
                              A lefty that might be 6'0? He's a very nice collegiate QB that will get knocked down by a lack of elite physical traits.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information