Supplemental Draft Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplemental Draft Question

Let's say a player (like Jake Locker) decided to come out in the supplemental draft after they have read all of what the internet said about their decision. Would they likely command the same kind of contract that a top 5 pick would (if they are taken by a top 5 team)? How is that handled?
    **** her in da *****!

Yeah, I'd say the Supp. Draft grades follow the Normal Draft grades.

Comment

As far as I know, they can pay them whatever they want as long as it fits within the rookie pay scale rules of the NFL.

Brian Bosworth was the highest paid rookie in NFL History and he was a supplemental selection.

First Round picks being used on supplemental selections is historically very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
        First Round picks being used on supplemental selections is historically very rare.
        So are strong armed, athletic QBs who have pro-style experience.

I'm basically wondering why someone doesn't advise Jake Locker to do it. Or why he isn't listening.
        **** her in da *****!

Comment

Maybe he wants to play in college one more year?

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
            College ball isn't THAT great. I guess he has high hopes for Washington this season.

Comment

The teams get a bonus rookie slotting amount based on that season's rookie allocation scale.

Comment

I agree that there is something to being 20 something in college and one of the most popular people on campus, but a torn ACL or a bad year could cost you in upwards of 30 million.

I just have to wonder about a guy who would throw away 30 million for another year of that.
                **** her in da *****!

Comment

Well if you look at Jeremy Jarmon of the Redskins, who was a 3rd round supplemental pick last year, you'd see that he has the same contract value of the Redskins other 3rd round draft pick Kevin Barnes.

So I'd say that it basically follows the current slotting system for rounds 2-7 and if someone was taked in the 1st round supplemental draft I'd say that contract would fall in line with the other 1st round pick in the order that he was drafted. Meaning that if we selected by the Seahawks 6th in the supplemental draft, his contract would probably be identical to the 6th overall pick.

Comment

Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                    College ball isn't THAT great. I guess he has high hopes for Washington this season.
                    None of us know that for sure. If the kid wants to stay in college and enjoy some of the best years of his life, good for him. He'll still be a high pick even with an injury.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

None of us know that for sure. If the kid wants to stay in college and enjoy some of the best years of his life, good for him. He'll still be a high pick even with an injury.
                      You make valid points, though I must say that if someone were willing to pay me tens of millions of dollars to do something that was already doing for free (or for tuition...a few tens of thousands of dollars) I'd jump in heartbeat.

You could go into the NFL, bust real bad, and STILL be fairly well set for life...Evidence why change to the rookie pay is needed and why, as long as the current system stands, no probably first round pick should stay.

Comment

Ask the Cowboys. They drafted Troy Aikman 1st overall and in the very same year used a 1st round pick on Steve Walsh from Miami in the supplemental draft. I know you can find out contract information on the internet but not sure it goes back that far.

Comment

Jacke Locker would be dumb to not just play his senior season at this point lol.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
                            I agree that there is something to being 20 something in college and one of the most popular people on campus, but a torn ACL or a bad year could cost you in upwards of 30 million.

I just have to wonder about a guy who would throw away 30 million for another year of that.
                            Didnt we have a multi page discussion on Locker's decision already. I thought both sides weighed in pretty well on that matter. Locker probably wakes up today and reads this and rethinks his decision, come on.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaFootball View Post
                              Jacke Locker would be dumb to not just play his senior season at this point lol.
                              This.

Jake Locker is a huge fish in the smallish pond that is the Washington Huskies team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information