Mardy Gilyard and the Bengals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mardy Gilyard and the Bengals

Alright, just stumbled upon this thought.

Is the hometown factor really big in the draft? I mean, the Bengals need a WR, and Gilyard would be perfect at #21, and word it's that they're interested in him. But is it a lock mostly because he played at Cincy or other factors?

I mean, the Titans were interested in Meachem at #19 back in 2007.

When the player really wants to be there, yes. It can be a huge factor. Mardy has said himself he wants to be in Stripes and even joked about pulling an Eli to get traded to Cincy.

Link: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...d-ecf3bf95ada5
    Last edited by Bengals78; 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM.

bonekrusher
    The Twitters
    themaninblack

Comment

It's not a lock, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals trade up to get him in the early 2nd much like the Browns and Brady Quinn, without the major fall down the board like Quinn took.

Comment

It depends on the GM. As a Jacksonville fan, I think it's completely stupid to take a guy because he went to school there (Gilyard and Meacham grew up out of Tennessee and Ohio). Case in point is obviously Reggie Nelson. Location should mean absolutely nothing to a GM. Take the best player regardless of where he went to school. But some GMs don't follow that philosophy.

Comment

Hometown favoritism is overrated.

Besides didn't you hear? OchoUno is coming.

Comment

even if they get the corpse of terrell owens, they still need receivers lol

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
            Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
              Hometown favoritism is overrated.

Besides didn't you hear? OchoUno is coming.
              Yeah, but both Ochocinco and TO are old... and imagine how sexy would be Gilyard in a #11 Bengals jersey?
              Ochocinco, Ochouno and Unouno.

Comment

I dont really know if its a big factor but I would take Tate anyday over Gilyard anyway, it just depends on the GM I guess because there is GMs that seem to do this.
                Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                Coples is that dude.
                Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

Is TO really going there or is that just a bad rumor?

Gilyard in Cincy makes sense. I don't think his college location factors into it that much. Maybe minor, but not enough to sway the decision.

Comment

Not a guarantee. I don't think he provides a whole lot of value in the first and we already have a good young PR (Quan Cosby) and KR (Bernard Scott). Gilyard doesn't get his full value to Cincinnati, and he likely won't be available when they pick in the second. Hopefully we'll look to make a little move up to the 40-45 spot from 54. Jermaine Gresham, Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, ect... all would provide more value in the first.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      It's a rumor, bad or not.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

Gilyard in Cincy makes sense. I don't think his college location factors into it that much. Maybe minor, but not enough to sway the decision.
                        Its Ocho getting a friends name back into the media seeing as he is a FA and no one talks about him right now

bonekrusher
                        The Twitters
                        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
                          I dont really know if its a big factor but I would take Tate anyday over Gilyard anyway, it just depends on the GM I guess because there is GMs that seem to do this.
                          You can have Tate if youd like. I'll take Gilyard over Tate myself. While I dont think either one is worth a first round pick Gilyard has alot more desire and talent that will translate to the NFL better then Tate.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                            It depends on the GM. As a Jacksonville fan, I think it's completely stupid to take a guy because he went to school there (Gilyard and Meacham grew up out of Tennessee and Ohio). Case in point is obviously Reggie Nelson. Location should mean absolutely nothing to a GM. Take the best player regardless of where he went to school. But some GMs don't follow that philosophy.
                            It's gonna be hilarious when Jacksonville takes Tebow.

Comment

I don't think the home town thing comes into it unless it's a big name and it's a close decision. If the Bengals at 21 have the choice between Gilyard or Arrelious Benn then sorry Mardy pack your bags your moving home

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information