Sam Bradford Redskins Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Bradford Redskins Issue

Maybe this is a bit trivial or even dumb, but would Sam Bradford have a problem playing for the Redskins considering he is Native American? He is an official member of the Cherokee Nation, although I am not sure of their official stance on the issue.

Penn State Dolphins Dodgers Wolves FC

Originally posted by thechad31790 View Post
    Maybe this is a bit trivial or even dumb, but would Sam Bradford have a problem playing for the Redskins considering he is Native American? He is an official member of the Cherokee Nation, although I am not sure of their official stance on the issue.
    Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk....but yeah he will turn down 40 million in gurrantees on moral grounds

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
      Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk....but yeah he will turn down 40 million in gurrantees on moral grounds
      Winner winner chicken dinner.

Comment

For the money he'd make as the 4th overall pick I'm willing to bet he'd manage.

Haven't heard anything about it, though.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

If he goes there, he'll take some crap for it or so that they're just his employer and he doesn't necessarily agree with the name. I don't anticipate it being significant.

Comment

it's an interesting point to raise, i hadn't thought about it. I doubt he'd refuse to sign or anything but if he spoke up about it, he might rub some of the fanbase the wrong way and sort of risk alienating them. I wouldn't blame him though if he did speak out, I wouldn't want to play for a team with a pejorative slur as a nickname.

edit: i found this interview

Does Bradford have a problem with Redskins?
            Last edited by senormysterioso; 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by senormysterioso View Post
              it's an interesting point to raise, i hadn't thought about it. I doubt he'd refuse to sign or anything but if he spoke up about it, he might rub some of the fanbase the wrong way and sort of risk alienating them. I wouldn't blame him though if he did speak out, I wouldn't want to play for a team with a pejorative slur as a nickname.

edit: i found this interview

Does Bradford have a problem with Redskins?
              He said "you know" a lot in that interview.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85
              too bad the Sea hawks are starting Hasselback and not Whitehorsest (sp)They are gonna loose any ways .

Comment

Originally posted by OneToughGame View Post
                He said "you know" a lot in that interview.
                Hahaa. It was painful to read.

I agree with the comment that gets mentioned. Bradford likely doesn't care so much, since he'll be getting filthy rich off the Redskins name. But he will be stuck in terrible spot b/c he can't alienate the team, fans, and owners by saying it's wrong and he can't say it's ok b/c he'll draw the ire of the Native American community.

Comment

He's 1/16th native American, maybe he can take one game off a year in protest. Having we been down this road before with Bradford?.

On an unrelated topic i hope the Skins take him so he isnt there for the Seahawks to contemplate.

Comment

Does the 'Redskins' aspect of the Washington franchise actually bother anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Caddy View Post
                      No. Of course, I'm not of Native American descent.

But I probably wouldn't be thrilled if, say, the Jags moved to Arkansas and renamed the franchise the "Whip Crackers."

Comment

It bothers me, and I'm not one to be bother by this type of stuff at all. But I think its ridiculous they are allowed to have the name, and its only because of how much money they make. Its a negative slur, its pretty damn similar to have a team called the N word. I am 1/8th native american but that really doesnt have anything to do with why it bothers me (as I don't really identify with it).

Comment

Considering it's a derogatory term for the color of Native Americans skin, I think it bothers quite a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCHRIST View Post
                            It bothers me, and I'm not one to be bother by this type of stuff at all. But I think its ridiculous they are allowed to have the name, and its only because of how much money they make. Its a negative slur, its pretty damn similar to have a team called the N word. I am 1/8th native american but that really doesnt have anything to do with why it bothers me (as I don't really identify with it).
                            who cares about what native americans think is offensive. i thought we established this a long time ago.

Joking aside, using the term redskins is nothing like having the 'n' word as a team name. it is not racist, anymore then the Washington Bullets contributed to gun violence. I think we are very respectful of Native Americans. We don't have some goofy indian like they have in Cleveland. Our icon is a proud, stoic Chief. We don't do the chop or that song Braves fans do. We sing Hail to the Redskins

I hate people who are looking for something to be offended about.

Comment

Oh man, I don't even wanna touch this debate...but, nobody is allowed to tell people what they are and aren't allowed to be offended by. By the same token, nobody has the right to go through life without being offended. I understand the history and traditions...but if I was an NFL franchise I wouldn't want my teams nickname to be an ethnic slur. The American Indian population is such a small demographic that they get overlooked and basically **** on a lot.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information