Kansas City

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas City

I see people on this forum (Chiefs fans?) consistently scoff at the idea of Kansas City taking an offensive tackle at pick 5.

Why?

I realize the defense is (really) garbage. I do. But I also saw KC give up tons of pressure off the edges almost every time Cassel went back to throw.

I think the investment in Cassel was a stupid idea, but now that the investment is made, does it not make sense to try to give that investment a chance to be worth something? If the KC line plays like it does last year, the Chiefs are ****ed, and Cassel is crying like a little *****.

The only argument I can see is that they should take Eric Berry instead, which is reasonable because he rules.

Most of the Chiefs fans just think that there isn't a tackle worth taking at 5. They also don't want to move Albert around. Maybe that tune will change after the performances of these LTs at the combine.

I don't see the point in drafting McClain at 5, either. You can get the same player in Spikes with one of their second round picks.

Comment

Here's my ideal scenario for the Chiefs:

Give up one of their 2nd rounders for one of the LT's the Saints have available (Brown, Bushrod, or Strief)

Draft Dez Bryant at #5

Then draft to fill in their numerous holes with the rest of their picks.

This accomplishes 2 things they need badly; Improves their O-line to protect their $65 million dollar QB, and gives that QB a weapon to utilize in the passing game to pair with Bowe.

But since my theory makes sense, it will never happen.

Comment

I don't know if its scoffing, but the need for an RT is probably number 6 on their list of needs. Safety, OLB, ILB, C, G are greater needs.

Question, I'd ask, without some know it all undertones that the OP has exuded would be:

Would starting Okung/Bulaga, who are further away in the process than Albert(who has many starts at that position on an NFL level) from being a premium starting LT, at LT benefit KC? That would set their line back another year or two, shifting Albert too another new position and putting a rookie with aero NFL experience at one of the most important positions on offense.

Would drafting Okung/Bulaga and putting that person at RT be the best for the offensive line?
        Last edited by no bare feet; 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM.
        Originally posted by njx9
        i mean, why wouldn't the broncos take cam newton? they can play him at quarterback WITH tebow!

Comment

Originally posted by Warpig View Post
          Here's my ideal scenario for the Chiefs:

Give up one of their 2nd rounders for one of the LT's the Saints have available (Brown, Bushrod, or Strief)
          Strief isn't worth a 2nd, but I wish! Bushrod would probably be a 2nd, and Brown is more then a 2nd. If we give up Bushrod for your 2nd I would be a very happy person.

Comment

because you said it our defense is garbage.we have no S's, DJ is our only NFL caliber ILB and who knows if he'll be back.It HAS to be McClain or Berry

Comment

Originally posted by no bare feet View Post
              I don't know if its scoffing, but the need for an RT is probably number 6 on their list of needs. Safety, OLB, ILB, C, G are greater needs.

Question, I'd ask, without some know it all undertones that the OP has exuded would be:

Would starting Okung/Bulaga, who are further away in the process than Albert(who has many starts at that position on an NFL level) from being a premium starting LT, at LT benefit KC? That would set their line back another year or two, shifting Albert too another new position and putting a rookie with aero NFL experience at one of the most important positions on offense.

Would drafting Okung/Bulaga and putting that person at RT be the best for the offensive line?
              It might hurt them a little this year, but they aren't close to contending anyways. That's what I've been trying to get through to KC fans all offseason. You're not going to win this year anyways, so draft what's best fot the long term potential for your team.

Brandon Albert could turn into a very nice player at LT for KC. However, let's not forget that he's a converted guard who is just learning how to play tackle. His best position and most natural fit could very well end up being at RT. It's not like they'd be trying to get him to move from offensive line to defensive line - it's a move that's totally doable. If you can play LT, you sure as hell be able to play RT. He's certainly not a reason to deter them from drafting another LT, especially if the staff feels that the value is there for one at 5.

Also, wasn't Albert drafted with the intent that if he didn't work out at T, he could be moved inside to guard and be a perennial pro bowler there as well?

Either way, I think drafting a tackle at 5 improves TWO positions for them over the long term. Maybe not next year, but the Chiefs don't really have a reason to care about next year anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                because you said it our defense is garbage.we have no S's, DJ is our only NFL caliber ILB and who knows if he'll be back.It HAS to be McClain or Berry
                Which kind of ILB do you guys need? I am not as familiar with the 3-4 LB responsibilities as I am 4-3 but my (limited) understanding is that one tends to me more of a thumper/run stopper and the other is more responsible for TE/RB pass coverage.

Comment

The kid was flagged 10 times surrendered 9 sacks out at LT. If Okung slides by Detroit and Washington, then KC will give serious thought to it and could then either move Albert to the right side or slide him inside.

When you watch him out there I think it's pretty clear he is not the longterm answer at LT. He is average as a LT and it is not the best place on the line for him.

Comment

ALbert got better as the year went along so don't make it sound as if he sucked all year.taking a RT at 5 is just plain STUPID

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                      Which kind of ILB do you guys need? I am not as familiar with the 3-4 LB responsibilities as I am 4-3 but my (limited) understanding is that one tends to me more of a thumper/run stopper and the other is more responsible for TE/RB pass coverage.
                      not sure but you'd have to think McClain would be a Crennel/Pioli type of player

Comment

Originally posted by H.O.O.D View Post
                        The kid was flagged 10 times surrendered 9 sacks out at LT. If Okung slides by Detroit and Washington, then KC will give serious thought to it and could then either move Albert to the right side or slide him inside.

When you watch him out there I think it's pretty clear he is not the longterm answer at LT. He is average as a LT and it is not the best place on the line for him.
                        Exactly my sentiments.

Saying "we have Brandon Albert" is NOT a good reason to pass on a potential franchise tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                          Personally as a non-Chiefs fan, your best bet would be to aggressively pursue Dansby in FA and taken Okung in the first and then go after N.Allen/C.Thomas/T.Cody in the 2nd. If for some reason one of them is not there in the 2nd start to look at the pass rushers who might be of value there.

Comment

I think its a good possibility that they take an OT at 5 but i think Berry, if available, is the best possible selection.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlegom View Post
                              I think its a good possibility that they take an OT at 5 but i think Berry, if available, is the best possible selection.
                              McClain FTW!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information