Sean Weatherspoon (Post Combine)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Weatherspoon (Post Combine)

I haven't really had Weatherspoon on my radar, but after reading about his performance, I'm wondering where he will be taken. I have a buddy that thinks he would be perfect at ILB in a 3-4 system and has him pegged to go to the Patriots. Where should he be taken? And will he ultimately be best suited inside or outside?

Steelers at 18

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

i dont know if he'll be good initially, but i think he has the potential to be a decent ILB in the 3-4 but is really a SLB in a 4-3. He has very fluid hips in coverage and tries alot to tip balls and create turnover opportunities which i love. His blitzing is decent, but he could really improve there. He isn't horrible at taking on blockers and working his way through all the crap, but it would be more ideal for him to play outside in a 4-3 so the DL can take on the blocks and He can roam free.

Really he reminds me alot of Jon Beason when he was at the U. Here is a post with both Jon Beason and Sean Weatherspoon's scouting report from Scott.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...5&#post2006485

Comment

If the Steelers pass on him if he's there at 18, I'll cry.

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
          If the Steelers pass on him if he's there at 18, I'll cry.
          get your tissues ready :)

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
            i dont know if he'll be good initially, but i think he has the potential to be a decent ILB in the 3-4 but is really a SLB in a 4-3. He has very fluid hips in coverage and tries alot to tip balls and create turnover opportunities which i love. His blitzing is decent, but he could really improve there. He isn't horrible at taking on blockers and working his way through all the crap, but it would be more ideal for him to play outside in a 4-3 so the DL can take on the blocks and He can roam free.

Really he reminds me alot of Jon Beason when he was at the U. Here is a post with both Jon Beason and Sean Weatherspoon's scouting report from Scott.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...5&#post2006485
            Beason is a great comparison, I think spoon will be good in the 3-4, but could be amazing in the 4-3. Kind of like how some people think Iupati can be a solid RT, but an all-pro OG (I think he is purely an OG, but that's just an opinion).

Comment

He's one of my favorite prospects in the draft and would be thrilled if the eagles draft him.

Comment

actually comparing their combines:

Beason
                241 lbs

Weatherspoon
                239 lbs

(Couldnt find the rest of Beason's results)

Comment

I've been a Weatherspoon fan for a while. I think he'll be similar to Jonathan Vilma at the next level. One of the best 4-3 MLBs in the league if he's put there, but can excel at SLB and WLB too. Im sure he could play 3-4 ILB, but not sure if he'll be as great since one of his negatives is his block shedding ability.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Weatherspoon to the Giants even over McClain if he is there. Fits perfect with new D-Co dropping in coverage
                    Patriots Draft 2015
                    1. CB - Marcus Peters
                    2. WR - Sammie Coates
                    3. RB - David Johnson
                    3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                    4. OG - Tre Jackson
                    4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                    5. LB - Ben Heeney
                    6. TE - Wes Saxton
                    7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                      Steelers at 18
                      just looks like a steeler

Comment

Yeah, it wouldn't shock me terribly if Weatherspoon winds up being the first linebacker off the board. McClain's stock has come back to earth and bit and Weatherspoon does a lot of stuff better than Rolando. Certainly, how the Giants feel their defense should look moving forward will be a huge deciding factor, as McClain and Weatherspoon would represent very different paths.

Personally, I think Weatherspoon was always a top 20 player, even in a defensive draft this talented. I expected him to run well, but he showed more strength than I thought he would at the combine. Either way, I wouldn't expect him to get by Atlanta, but there's a chance he's there for New England.

Comment

It seems he really could be a good fit in either system. I was a little surprised he was able to put up 34 reps. I'd like to see his 3-cone numbers to know he has the ability to change directions and cover the whole field. How much different is he than Jerod Mayo? They both have similar height and weight. I believe Mayo ran in the 4.5's, but didn't put up the same bench reps. I remember seeing Mayo at Tenn and saw him making tons of tackles, similar to what I've heard about Weatherspoon.

p.s. I'm a Patriots fan if you can't tell already.
                          Last edited by Boston_george; 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

maybe as early as #12 to the fins if mcclain is gone?

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                              Im sure he could play 3-4 ILB, but not sure if he'll be as great since one of his negatives is his block shedding ability.
                              I've heard reports of this. How bad is it? Is it because of his size, does he just get swallowed up?

I'm just wondering because sometimes these negatives just get tacked onto a guy and recapitulated in scouting reports.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information