Riley Cooper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riley Cooper

Didnt run what i expected at the combine coming in at 4.52 for his best time. Part of that as was pointed out could be the extra 10 lbs he put on after the Senior Bowl. Keep in mind he plays fast, constantly getting behind SEC corners and he is very good at beating man coverage off the line.

Bottom line with Cooper is he's an athlete, 6-3 222 lbs and very good at adjusting to the ball in the air. I think he'll get the 40 down at his pro day and see his stock rise by draft time. Also a great blocker for the postion.

Kinda reminds me of how Hank Baskett was treated prior to that draft.

Comment

I fully expected 4.4 something at least from him. Putting that weight on was a bad move.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Don't forget he's a Florida receiver. He hasn't had experience running a full route tree, his feet aren't all too nimble in a phone booth, and there has to be some concern there that he's a one year wonder as his career production isn't good; his Senior season he was a good player. He's fast on tape (around 215) but must learn the nuances of the game & position. Not refined and he'll need to time a bit better to get consideration in the Third Round or higher.

I have him graded out currently similar to former teammate Louis Murphy, as an Early 4th Round value.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
        - For daily NFL draft coverage:
        www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

He is gonna be out of the league in 3yrs watch....

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
            Don't forget he's a Florida receiver. He hasn't had experience running a full route tree, his feet aren't all too nimble in a phone booth, and there has to be some concern there that he's a one year wonder as his career production isn't good; his Senior season he was a good player. He's fast on tape (around 215) but must learn the nuances of the game & position. Not refined and he'll need to time a bit better to get consideration in the Third Round or higher.

I have him graded out currently similar to former teammate Louis Murphy, as an Early 4th Round value.
            This is all very true. Extremely similar to Murphy. However, Murphy and Havin's early success might help Cooper's stock a bit.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
              This is all very true. Extremely similar to Murphy. However, Murphy and Havin's early success might help Cooper's stock a bit.
              Harvin's shouldn't. That guy is an athletic marvel that could play one of about four positions anywhere. Murphy's success should help him as his role at Florida was the same role that Cooper played in 09'. Murphy had more experience than his Senior year, but overall they were fairly similar prospects. There's not a lot of trust out there for Florida wideouts, but I have no problem giving these athletes a look in the late 3rd/early 4th (see Andre Caldwell, Murphy, and now Cooper)

Comment

Cooper will be a descent WR in the NFL . His speed may not be near as fast as Harvins or Murhpy's but he will be more of a possession style wr . Hes a big target and should be a good route runner as well , maybe a return guy who noes for now .

Comment

He shows hes has potential to be more than a possession receiver in this video
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrmWNxm5mE

look at 4:40 where he outruns South Carolina dbs and then at 6:39 where he burns a corner in the Sugar Bowl. I think Tebow was part of the problem for his production. There were many times where I would see him wide open down the field and Tebow would check down to someone like Hernandez, either Tebow didn't see him going through his progressions or simply didn't trust his arm to put the ball there accurately. Has made some ridiculous catches, including few one handed ones, but did drop a few passes, but Tebow doesn't always throw the easiest balls.

That video doesn't show how good a run blocker he is though. He is a little raw but it can be worked on. Id say hes a little better than Murphy, he put up better stats his senior year, more yards, a few more tds and more yards per catch, same with Caldwell, he had around the same number of catches but more yards than him. Of course he only had a good senior season, but hew wasn't a big part of the offense before this season.
                  Last edited by batsandgats; 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                    Cooper will be a descent WR in the NFL . His speed may not be near as fast as Harvins or Murhpy's but he will be more of a possession style wr . Hes a big target and should be a good route runner as well , maybe a return guy who noes for now .
                    Cooper has neither the hands nor route running skills to be a possession receiver in the NFL. He'll have the get by on his athleticism and hope somebody can coach him up.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Originally posted by batsandgats View Post
                      Has made some ridiculous one catches, including a few one handed ones, but did dropped a few ones, but Tebow doesn't always throw the easiest balls.
                      I didn't see the bolded part the first time through. He made some highlight reel catches, but he has to work on his consistency and concentration as he'll drop some easy ones. He didn't really stand out in Mobile where he had a chance to boost his grade and didn't use the Combine to help either. He needs to get down around his playing weight of 210-215 for his Pro Day and show the sub 4.45 speed most of us think he has.

I don't see him as a better prospect than Louis Murphy, though the two are not far off in terms of value. Where Cooper brings a bit more bulk and ability in terms of run-blocking, Murphy had better feet and had more experience & polish as a receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by batsandgats View Post
                        He shows hes has potential to be more than a possession receiver in this video
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrmWNxm5mE

look at 4:40 where he outruns South Carolina dbs and then at 6:39 where he burns a corner in the Sugar Bowl. I think Tebow was part of the problem for his production. There were many times where I would see him wide open down the field and Tebow would check down to someone like Hernandez, either Tebow didn't see him going through his progressions or simply didn't trust his arm to put the ball there accurately. Has made some ridiculous one catches, including a few one handed ones, but did dropped a few ones, but Tebow doesn't always throw the easiest balls.

That video doesn't show how good a run blocker he is though. He is a little raw but it can be worked on. Id say hes a little better than Murphy, he put up better stats his senior year, more yards, a few more tds and more yards per catch, same with Caldwell, he had around the same number of catches but more yards than him. Of course he only had a good senior season, but hew wasn't a big part of the offense before this season.
                        The thing i took from that video overrall is how good of an athlete he is. Unlike some receivers that cant adjust to a deep ball when it is in the air he seems to have the ablility to go up over guys to make a play. At around 225 he could probably be used like an Ed McCaffrey who had a really nice NFL career.

As for the one good year as Pudge pointed out it is better that it was his last year and i think it has been just recently when he's made the total focus to football and not baseball. I think potentially he has more upside than a Jordy Nelson who went much higher than Coop is expected to go. (no hate mail for that last comment please)

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                          As for the one good year as Pudge pointed out it is better that it was his last year and i think it has been just recently when he's made the total focus to football and not baseball. I think potentially he has more upside than a Jordy Nelson who went much higher than Coop is expected to go. (no hate mail for that last comment please)
                          I wouldn't necessarily agree with that as Jordy brought return value and I though his hands/route-running were much further along at this point. I perceived Nelson's role to be a little greater than what I think Riley will be seen as. In terms of pure upside, Cooper (and most UF receivers) have it, but he lacks polish and I wouldn't expect anyone to take a shot on him before the 3rd even with a good Pro Day.

Comment

Hah that was bad grammar. I was in a hurry when I wrote it. Jordy was more polished out of college, better route running and hands but I think Cooper does have more upside as far as pro potential. Jordy still has a chance to show his ability, he is stuck behind some talented receivers, maybe when Driver is gone. Riley put up some good numbers without being that polished, I just think his ceiling is much higher with good coaching. If he would have came in a little thinner and ran a sub-4.5 I think he could have went in the 2nd. I think he still has a shot with his pro day (although a smaller shot). He just needs one team to realize the potential.
                            Last edited by batsandgats; 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

He somehow reminds me of Kevin Curtis.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information