Jonathan Dwyer - What do people see?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Dwyer - What do people see?

Every time I see Dwyer I come away thinking the same things.

Positives:
    Powerful downhill runner
    Solid game speed
    Quick through the hole
    Tough to bring down

Negatives:
    Not very elusive/agile
    COD skills are lacking
    Hasn't been used as a receiver much
    Offense makes him hard to break down
    Weight issues

I really don't see him as a NFL 3 down back. I think he could be a nice complement to a fast/shifty back, but that's about it.

Some people are really high on this guy, and I just want to get a feel for why that is.

I don't know what you've been watching but some of the positives in his game are sitting in your negative column.

Comment

Such as? He doesn't make sudden or sharp cuts.
      Last edited by Clarkw267; 03-11-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

i agree with you for the most part. im not sure that dwyer will be a #1 rb in the nfl. but given the recent direction of most nfl teams utilizing two backs, i still think he can be successful in the right situation. he is one of the best redzone runners in the draft. he doesnt fumble and he knows how to get into the endzone. personally, i have him as a late 3rd-early 4th rounder right now.

look at where a guy like shonn greene was drafted last year. similar size and build to dwyer, untested hands in college, and also coming off very successful statistical seasons.

greene - 5'11 / 227 / 4.63 40yd (4.55 pro day) / 19 reps
        dwyer - 5'11 / 229 / 4.68 40 yd / 15 reps

as we all know greene was selected at the top of the third round and was the 5th running back off the board. i would give greene the slight edge as a prospect over dwyer. i think he had slightly more shiftiness and better vision. when its all said and done though i think they grade out pretty close and i would put dwyers stock right near where greenes was. if dwyer can have a pro day as good as greene did then he could move back up boards but at this point i think hes at best a mid 3rd round selection.

Comment

Well as a FB in the option offense you don't really get to see him show patience and find a hole and cut into holes. As the FB he had to hit the first hole he saw and only had 2-3 yards to make that decision. I'm so impressed at how many 50+ yard runs he broke from that spot. We were unable to see how he looked in a traditional HB spot having to read his blockers, but what we do see on film is a big bruising back with pretty good break away speed. Much like his teammate Bebe, because of the system he ran in, you are drafting him on physical tools and pure talent, and have to make your own judgments through workouts and tape as to how he will transition into a pro style offense. I'd still take him starting at the top of the 2nd round. I do have Hardesty and Ryan Matthews ahead of him at this point and have him at 5 just in front of Toby and and Ben Tate, but IMO Dwyer has the tools to be a very good NFL back. This RB class is very deep with power backs as well as shifty receiving backs. I see up to 10 backs from this draft class who will be major NFL contributors.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

The option offense hurts him cause he was a hit the hole and go, what is that going to be like a couple yards back, those holes won't be open as long and he isn't strong. The difference between him and Greene is Dwyer is football fat, do you remember the size of Greene's legs? they where like 2 tree stumps attached to his hips, that explosion. Dwyer has no explosion. He is a late 3rd, 4th round
            Patriots Draft 2015
            1. CB - Marcus Peters
            2. WR - Sammie Coates
            3. RB - David Johnson
            3. DT - Angelo Blackson
            4. OG - Tre Jackson
            4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
            5. LB - Ben Heeney
            6. TE - Wes Saxton
            7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
              The option offense hurts him cause he was a hit the hole and go, what is that going to be like a couple yards back, those holes won't be open as long and he isn't strong. The difference between him and Greene is Dwyer is football fat, do you remember the size of Greene's legs? they where like 2 tree stumps attached to his hips, that explosion. Dwyer has no explosion. He is a late 3rd, 4th round
              That's not really true. As a FB he just had to hit it right away with the goal getting a quick 4 yards each time. If you are deeper in the backfield like a traditional HB you have time to read your blocks and then find the hole. With his role he couldn't show if he had great vision or patience because his job was to pick up 4 or 5 yards to set up a pitch to the edge. I'm not going to compare him to Green but Dwyer does have some explosion in his own right. I've seen him beat corners to the edge plenty of times, and I've seen him run over guys plenty.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkw267 View Post
                Every time I see Dwyer I come away thinking the same things.

Positives:
                Powerful downhill runner
                Solid game speed
                Quick through the hole
                Tough to bring down

Negatives:
                Not very elusive/agile
                COD skills are lacking
                Hasn't been used as a receiver much
                Offense makes him hard to break down
                Weight issues

I really don't see him as a NFL 3 down back. I think he could be a nice complement to a fast/shifty back, but that's about it.

Some people are really high on this guy, and I just want to get a feel for why that is.
                Huge turnoff for me. What's his kill to death ratio?
                Hi Mom. Send money!

Comment

choice played in that gimmicky ass offense and is doing well. dwyer could be like shonn green, michael turner and choice all rolled into a ball of runningback ecstasy
                  E]

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                    choice played in that gimmicky ass offense and is doing well. dwyer could be like shonn green, michael turner and choice all rolled into a ball of runningback ecstasy
                    He most certainly did not. He was there pre-Paul Johnson.

Comment

i dont think hes got turners speed. didnt turner run like a 4.49? turner can really move for a big guy. i think choice is a good bit faster too.

Comment

dwyer=4.59
                        choice=4.51
                        turner=4.49-4.51

both played in the same offense but choice is a good 20 pounds lighter. turner has the sweet feet, his feet carry his big body incredibly fast but i think theres simliarities in body type and playing style
                        E]

Comment

dwyer=4.59
                          choice=4.51
                          turner=4.49-4.51

both played in the same offense but choice is a good 20 pounds lighter. turner has the sweet feet, his feet carry his big body incredibly fast but i think theres simliarities in body type and playing style
                          Keep on ignoring the fact that choice and dwyer did not play in the same offense. It doing nothing to help your point. Choice played for Chan Gailey in his pro-style offense led by the great Reggie Ball

Comment

Originally posted by RedVision View Post
                            Keep on ignoring the fact that choice and dwyer did not play in the same offense. It doing nothing to help your point. Choice played for Chan Gailey in his pro-style offense led by the great Reggie Ball
                            gt didnt run triple option bs back then? i might be mistaken....my bad, no need to get butt hurt and come swooping in to save the day.

either way, dwyer is a good player id like him to be a steeler in the second round if hes there
                            E]

Comment

One website I read said that he is like Jonathan stewart..lol

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information