Clausen vs. Quinn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausen vs. Quinn

With all the trade talk today about Brady Quinn being traded to Broncos it got me thinking. Who coming out of college was a better prospect. I know Quinn fell to pick number 22 but there was lots of talk leading to draft how he would go top 3. Scott's report on Clausen is very impressive. How does it compare to what he thought of Brady Quinn? What do you think?

Brady Quinn for sure.

Comment

I think Clausen, but I would say their stocks are relatively close. The only things Quinn has an edge in is his college resume and his reported leadership qualities. Those leadership qualities and intangibles though can be a huge deal.
      Clausens arm is better, he has much better accuracy, he has better pocket presence, and he has shown more of a willingness to throw all over the field. I may be viewing Quinn as more of the pro version of himself, but I believe even in college he showed a tendency to check down too much, and get rattled by pressure. I don't really see that with Clausen.
      So their stocks are pretty close, but I think Clausen in the end will carry the higher grade. Quinns stock was mainly based off of his intangibles IMO and Clausens stock is only this low because of his.
      Very interesting comparison.

Comment

Very similar prospects IMO. Of course coming from Notre Dame and same offence but they both have similar size and arm. Bother were expected to be guys that can come in and maybe start from day 1. Personally I think Id have Clausen rated higher but it is close

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
        @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Playing at the same school makes 2 prospects just alike. Just look around the NFL for proof:

Kyle Orton = Drew Brees
          Aaron Rodgers = Kyle Boller
          Carson Palmer = Matt Leinart
          Marc Bulger = Pat White

Yes sir. There's no more sure way to judge a QB prospect that to assume he's just like other prospects that come from the same school.

Comment

It sure is easy to rate Clausen higher after seeing a few years of Brady floundering in Cleveland. There is no question that Quinn was a better prospect than Clausen coming out of ND. No doubt about it. I think Scott would probably laugh at this one....

Comment

Clausen, way better prospect and it's not even close. If Clausen had played on a better team with a better win/loss ratio over his career, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                Playing at the same school makes 2 prospects just alike. Just look around the NFL for proof:

Kyle Orton = Drew Brees
                Aaron Rodgers = Kyle Boller
                Carson Palmer = Matt Leinart
                Marc Bulger = Pat White

Yes sir. There's no more sure way to judge a QB prospect that to assume he's just like other prospects that come from the same school.
                They are pretty similar as prospects, in terms of style of play, and probably draft stock.

I like how whenever I see your name in a thread, it's pretty much a lock to not contribute anything.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

It should be noted that Adam Schefter posted on his twitter, in response to Daniel Jeremiah - former Browns/Ravens scout, that he keep reading Jimmy Clausen in the Top 10 but hasn't talked to a single team that has him rated that highly. This was 5 AM this morning, nothing before the Combine or anything. I think people are taking Jimmy's Junior success a bit too far as NFL scouts don't see nearly as impressed as more casual fans or maybe questions about his personality/maturity are more serious than we know. Either way, I graded Quinn out a little higher than I have Clausen though that says nothing about the career I expect Jimmy to have.

Along with a couple others (including Scott Wright) I thought Brady Quinn was a damn good NFL prospect. He let his flaws (happy feet) take over, lost confidence this year, and he didn't have the kind f team that could bail him out or give him a comfortable/secure situation. In Denver we'll see if Quinn was a bust or not as he'll have the chance to succeed in a situation with good receivers (w/Marshall), a very good OL, and a strong defense to help the cause.
                  Last edited by ThePudge; 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                  - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                  www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

They're pretty similar, but I'd probably take Clausen. Quinn's accuracy issues were a lot worse.

BoneKrusher

Comment

quinn has proved he's brutal, clausen could be decent.
                      my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Clausen should, and likely will, be drafted in the top 10 because he is a first round QB prospect in a draft that doesn't offer many options on paper for teams in need of a potential franchise QB. Teams like Washington, Seattle, Cleveland and Buffalo are going nowhere until they find a long term answer at QB. NFL teams can spend a decade or more spinning their wheels without a long term starting quality QB. In fact, that's exactly what teams like Washington, Buffalo and Cleveland have been doing. Adding some muscle bound, athletic position player who makes flashy plays might be more sexy to many fans, but won't do anything to change the fortunes of the previously mentioned teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                          They are pretty similar as prospects, in terms of style of play, and probably draft stock.

I like how whenever I see your name in a thread, it's pretty much a lock to not contribute anything.
                          I hope you know he was being sarcastic. Also, that little jab you put in at the end makes you look like a jackass.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                            Clausen should, and likely will, be drafted in the top 10 because he is a first round QB prospect in a draft that doesn't offer many options on paper for teams in need of a potential franchise QB. Teams like Washington, Seattle, Cleveland and Buffalo are going nowhere until they find a long term answer at QB. NFL teams can spend a decade or more spinning their wheels without a long term starting quality QB. In fact, that's exactly what teams like Washington, Buffalo and Cleveland have been doing. Adding some muscle bound, athletic position player who makes flashy plays might be more sexy to many fans, but won't do anything to change the fortunes of the previously mentioned teams.
                            I agree with you, and personally due to his potential as a starting QB in the league I have him ranked securely in the Top 10 (7th) on my personal board. I just don't think he's in the same league with Quinn as a prospect. Quinn had a great personality, was built a bit more sturdy with a bit more athleticism, and had every bit of the arm Clausen has & similar concerns over the deep ball (Clausen - hangs, Quinn - flutters). I had much higher hopes for Quinn coming out compared to what he's done so far and as a QB prospect I would grade the recent (since 2007) guys...

1. Matt Ryan - Boston College
                            2. Sam Bradford - Oklahoma
                            3. Matthew Stafford - Georgia
                            4. Brady Quinn - Notre Dame
                            5. Mark Sanchez - USC
                            6. Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame
                            7. JaMarcus Russell - LSU
                            8. Josh Freeman - Kansas State
                            9. Chad Henne - Michigan
                            10. Joe Flacco - Delaware

- You can tell I'm more of a sucker for intangibles, mechanics, and height than I am those 6'6 240+ rocket armed passers. (Until Ryan Mallett next year)

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

marc bulger=pat white? lol

anyway they are similar, i would say that quinn was a prospect more in the mold of a brady/manning(s) type of player if he were to get to elite status one day, and clausen would be more comparable to favre/cutler

i think quinn will do well in denver, its damn near the same offense as ND, hes got a good run game, good defense, marshall/royal, clady. a fresh start is what he needs and i wouldnt be surprised to see him turn the corner
                              E]

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information