Is Gresham Still Great?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gresham Still Great?

TE Jermaine Gresham was once considered an elite tight-end prospect on this forum (I know because I'm a long time reader despite being a fairly new poster.) In one thread if I remember correctly, Scott had a list of very good, young starting tight-ends in the NFL and did a comparison between them and Gresham prior to Gresham's injury (a list that included Winslow, V. Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey etc.) In that thread, Gresham was actually touted by Scott and a few posters as being a better prospect than many of those tight-ends previously mentioned. So my question is simple. Do you still consider Gresham a tight-end prospect worthy of being mentioned in the same strata as Clark, Shockey and others after what has transpired this year with the rehab and lengthy rehabilitation process? Take the injury into account (it was a torn meniscus and not torn ligaments as has been reported on some less reputable sites) as well as his combine results, prediction for future success etc. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    Last edited by alexthegr8; 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM.

I don't know that he was ever an "elite TE" kind of prospect. If you look back through the past decade in the draft, the only TEs you even see going in the top 20 picks are athletic freaks like Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow, and they were both top 10. (Shockey went 14th and he was the only other one I even saw in the top 20.) If I use them as my barometer for what "elite" means, I don't think Gresham was there. Had he come out last year before getting hurt, he probably would have gone in the late teens or early 20s. So I don't think he is or has ever been on that top level of elite TE prospects.

But I do think he's still the best TE prospect in this draft and will go somewhere in the 20-30 range.

Comment

I always kind of thought Dallas Clark was a reach for the colts when he came out early and was drafted ahead of Witten. That was in my early draft fan days though, plus he fit their system better. Wasn't Clark kind of a second round prospect?
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by alexthegr8 View Post
        TE Jermaine Gresham was once considered an elite tight-end prospect on this forum (I know because I'm a long time reader despite being a fairly new poster.) In one thread if I remember correctly, Scott had a list of very good, young starting tight-ends in the NHL and did a comparison between them and Gresham prior to Gresham's injury (a list that included Winslow, V. Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey etc.) In that thread, Gresham was actually touted by Scott and a few posters as being a better prospect than many of those tight-ends previously mentioned. So my question is simple. Do you still consider Gresham a tight-end prospect worthy of being mentioned in the same strata as Clark, Shockey and others after what has transpired this year with the rehab and lengthy rehabilitation process? Take the injury into account (it was a torn meniscus and not torn ligaments as has been reported on some less reputable sites) as well as his combine results, prediction for future success etc. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
        i didnt know there was a tight end position in hockey.

but to get to the question, i dont know if he is an elite prospect because of his inconsistency when it comes to blocking, its not really there. Most of the other guys at least showed that they could push someone around if they needed too. I think Gresham will be a dangerous reciever in this league, and he will still be taken in the first round...i just dont know if hes in the same league as guys like VD.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Gates dominated the league without blocking a single person from the TE position, Gresham is a baller and a great receiver, I think he was a legit top 20 pick before the injury. Now I'd agree he'll go in the 20s but he was a stud.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
          Originally posted by JBCX
          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Before the injury, Gresham was considered to be the best TE prospect to come out of OU since Eagles and GB great Keith Jackson. I always heard that Gresham at 6'5, 265# could run a 4.5.

Low 4.7/hi 4.6 speed is still really fast for a TE, and I think he's an elite prospect and reminds me a LOT of a young Tony Gonzalez.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
              Gates dominated the league without blocking a single person from the TE position, Gresham is a baller and a great receiver, I think he was a legit top 20 pick before the injury. Now I'd agree he'll go in the 20s but he was a stud.
              but those are receiving tight ends. They're more big wide receivers than anything else.

I'm hoping that Pettigrew shows how the TE position is ment to be played.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on Tuesday's Path to the Draft program that he doesn't see "any way" Oklahoma State TE Jermaine Gresham will get past the Bengals at No. 21 overall.

Other than the fact that, you know, the Bengals don't use tight ends in the passing game. Gresham isn't an NFL-ready blocker. Drafting Gresham over a Brian Price-type defensive tackle, or an offensive guard like Mike Iupati, would be a clear admission that the Bengals are down on Chase Coffman.

Per Rotoworld
                Patriots Draft 2015
                1. CB - Marcus Peters
                2. WR - Sammie Coates
                3. RB - David Johnson
                3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                4. OG - Tre Jackson
                4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                5. LB - Ben Heeney
                6. TE - Wes Saxton
                7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

I think I put more emphasis on Gresham's bad legs than others. Yes, he tore the ACL in his left leg before this season, but a lot of people don't realize that he tore the ACL in his right leg in a High School basketball game. He's a fine player, an absolute stud, and if he hadn't gotten hurt, he would probably be a Top 15 pick.

However, I honestly wouldn't touch him in the first because of his risk factor.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                    i didnt know there was a tight end position in hockey.

but to get to the question, i dont know if he is an elite prospect because of his inconsistency when it comes to blocking, its not really there. Most of the other guys at least showed that they could push someone around if they needed too. I think Gresham will be a dangerous reciever in this league, and he will still be taken in the first round...i just dont know if hes in the same league as guys like VD.
                    :o

I had just finished watching the Chicago/Phoenix game before I typed this post last night. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the substantive response though. How would you rate his receiving skills, or in his case receiving potential, relative to a Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, or Owen Daniels?

Comment

I think he'll go in the twenties, hopefully a the 25th pick. I could see the Patriots and possibly the Bengals (if they finally learn how to use a TE) pick him up before the Ravens though.

Comment

I see 4 teams in round 1 where he can go...Cincy - NE - Baltimore - Arizona.

St Louis in round 2 if he is available
                        Patriots Draft 2015
                        1. CB - Marcus Peters
                        2. WR - Sammie Coates
                        3. RB - David Johnson
                        3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                        4. OG - Tre Jackson
                        4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                        5. LB - Ben Heeney
                        6. TE - Wes Saxton
                        7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
                          I see 4 teams in round 1 where he can go...Cincy - NE - Baltimore - Arizona.

St Louis in round 2 if he is available
                          You forgot Nawlins.

Also I don't think there's any doubt he's the top TE, and I would be amazed if he falls out of the first.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
                            Gresham isn't an NFL-ready blocker.
                            I disagree with this assessment. People are underrating Gresham's blocking skills simply because he wasn't asked to block too often. When he was asked to block on occasion, he more than held his own.

Comment

He has amazing talent. But if he can't stay healthy what difference does it make. I think he drops into the 2nd and goes somewhere in the top 5 picks of that round. Maybe to St. Louis with the 33rd pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information