Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI Article on NFL and Draft Stereotypes

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...pes/index.html

Good article, though I found it a bit brief. I would have liked to read a bit more about it. Anyway:

Well, the Gerhart thing was discussed around here (and castefootball.us ;-)) for quite a bit.

But I also found the point about Rolle and Tucker himself interesting. That NFL coaches don't want players to have a life besides football or to be smarter than them. Talking about insecurity. That's something I had never pictured before when I thougt about NFL coaches.

On second thought, it's a business afterall. For the Franchise, being smart in anything but football or having a life besides it diminishes your value as a good. Simple as that, I guess.

I'm really not sure about the point on coaches, I think it's a bit far-fetched. The other points however are definately valid. I liked what Gerhard said about being colorblind as viewing himself as a player, not a color.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

The collective level of analysis on SWDC is amazing sometimes.

The comparisons among Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Stephen Davis,( the first two backs being players whom Gerhart compares himself in the SI article), and Gerhart were made on this site at least a month or two ago.

I personally don't have any problems with Rolle's academic background, I just don't think he's a very accomplished safety prospect.

Comment

Probably could have added Tim Tebow with all he has going on.

Comment

I like how that article also tries to portray smart safeties in the same category as white running backs. Being smart is not why Myron Rolle isn't going to be drafted high. That's insane.

Comment

Cliffs anyone?

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

That article leads me to think that he was being discriminated against because he has an "I'm Ivy League, and smarter than the rest of the NFL" attitude.

Comment

I think he is completely right. Gerhard's problem is more of an ingrained skepticism. As he said, they are not being intentionally discriminatory.

Myron Rolle's problem is not only that he is ridiculously smart and has outside interests. Which it clearly is. Look at players who's outside interests more "normal" things like making/producing music. Those guys are rarely seen by fans/media as totally committed to the field. (especially if your music of choice is rap or hip-hop)
                There is also the problem of him not only being smart, but a smart black man. And, if you don't think the color of his skin matters you have blinders on.

www.blackmetalink.com
                VOTED BEST TATTOO SHOP IN CLEVELAND

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude Abides View Post
                  I think he is completely right. Gerhard's problem is more of an ingrained skepticism. As he said, they are not being intentionally discriminatory.

Myron Rolle's problem is not only that he is ridiculously smart and has outside interests. Which it clearly is. Look at players who's outside interests more "normal" things like making/producing music. Those guys are rarely seen by fans/media as totally committed to the field. (especially if your music of choice is rap or hip-hop)
                  There is also the problem of him not only being smart, but a smart black man. And, if you don't think the color of his skin matters you have blinders on.
                  If he were a good safety and completely dedicated to football the fact that he's a smart black man wouldn't matter.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                  JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                  Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                  Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                  Originally posted by JBCX
                  Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

i think the point about coaches not liking players who are "smarter than them" is a stretch. It's one thing if they know more about math and science and philosophy.......it's another if they know more about football. Coaches won't be questioned by guys who have less experience with the game and don't know as much about football strategy..........DUH, SI is a bunch of dopes sometimes.

The point about Gerhart and Lynch is obvious though. It's not really without fault: when you see a white runningback it DEFINITELY reminds you of Mike Alstott or John Riggins b/c when you see a white guy running the ball who else is he gonna remind you of? Kammron Taylor reminds me of Chris Rock, but it ain't because he's funny

Last edited by keylime_5; 03-27-2010, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Aaron Brooks, their triplet brother.

Comment

I liked the fact that they actually mentioned the white thing. Do you expect to hear Fox or CBS or NBC to ever mention that about Toby?

I don't think they touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I'm glad Tucker mentioned the cornerback position too. I thought Jason Sehorn was the last one of his kind. I find the whole subject fascinating, but not as puzzling as so many media afraid to even touch it.
                        Last edited by J-Mike88; 03-27-2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                          If he were a good safety and completely dedicated to football the fact that he's a smart black man wouldn't matter.

I am not saying that I am an expert in American race relations. However, I did study History in college (admittedly, it's a minor, but the only thing you can really do with a history degree is teach and I ******* hate kids) and the part I studied the most thoroughly was the interaction of blacks and whites since reconstruction and Civil War. So I feel that I have a qualified enough opinion to tell you that if you do not think him being an intelligent, articulate black man has no bearing on the way some view him... you sir are hiding behind one massive pair of rose colored glasses.

www.blackmetalink.com
                          VOTED BEST TATTOO SHOP IN CLEVELAND

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                            I like how that article also tries to portray smart safeties in the same category as white running backs. Being smart is not why Myron Rolle isn't going to be drafted high. That's insane.
                            To be honest I tend to think the opposite. Being smart and having good character are plus points for Rolle imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
                              To be honest I tend to think the opposite. Being smart and having good character are plus points for Rolle imo.
                              If Myron Rolle wasn't as smart as he is, I don't think anyone would even mention his name. It may hurt him a little bit, but it's helped him as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information