Are LT's becoming overvalued?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are LT's becoming overvalued?

Every year it seems as though everyone is on the search for a "Franchise LT", and basically just throw the moniker on the highest rated guy.

Last year it was Jason Smith
    The year before it was Jake Long
    2007 it was Joe Thomas

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a Michigan fan, and think that Long and Thomas are both outstanding players. I think Smith could potentially be a good pro.

However, I just don't think the LT position is as important as some like to think. I also think this overinflated sense of value causes guys to get drafted much higher than they should (Smith, Chris Williams.. etc)

Take the Saints and Colts for instance. They each have relatively highly drafted players at LT to start the season (Brown and Ugoh). Brown gets hurt, and Ugoh gets benched. And the teams go on and don't miss a beat with Bushrod and Charlie Johnson.

Personally, I think the chemistry in the OL, and having a QB with solid pocket awareness is a ton more important than having a stud at LT.

It's like the old saying "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts"

Originally posted by Clarkw267 View Post
    Take the Saints and Colts for instance. They each have relatively highly drafted players at LT to start the season (Brown and Ugoh). Brown gets hurt, and Ugoh gets benched. And the teams go on and don't miss a beat with Bushrod and Charlie Johnson.
    Although true, your really have to consider the ability of the QB's in your example. Elite QBs make any offensive line appear better than they are. If you don't have an elite QB you need great protection.

Comment

I don't think they're overvalued at all. You need someone to protect your Franchise QB.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Ask David Carr....

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
          I don't think they're overvalued at all. You need someone to protect your Franchise QB.
          Ditto.
          You want your Rodgers and Mannings and Brees and Farvrvreves to last the season, unlike the Sam Bradfords and Alex Smiths and Tom Brady's (hello Sebastien Vollmer) & your Don McNabbs.
          That's why the Eagles totally overpaid for the LT Peters last year. They wanted to try and protect #5's blind side.

That's why the Packers just had to pay big bucks for Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. You all saw what happened to Rodgers the first half of the year last year when stiffs were at LT and/or RT.

Comment

The second most important position on O after QB.

Comment

Ummm, QB is the most important position on the field, why wouldn't you want an elite guy to protect his back side? LT's are never overvalued, there aren't many positions more important.

You also named the 2 best QB's in the league, who have lightning quick releases and make due no matter what, but there is no reason to think you shouldn't invest alot of money into protecting your QB.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                The second most important position on O after QB.
                id say
                1. QB
                2a. LT
                2c. C

the center is the guy communicating the blitzes, helping with audibles, and now more than ever has to block those behemoth NT

bonekrusher
                The Twitters
                themaninblack

Comment

Yeah, specially when there's a book and movie all about the importance of that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                    Such as a Jermon Bushrod, Charlie Johnson, Dave Diehl, Matt Light, Max Starks, and Mike Gandy?

Comment

Such as a Jermon Bushrod, Charlie Johnson, Dave Diehl, Matt Light, Max Starks, and Mike Gandy?
                      Wait wait wait.

Matt Light was a great tackle in his prime. Same with Diehl.

Comment

It really is overrated. If you have a strong interior line, you can send help to a LT now and then, and as long as your QB has plenty of room to step up in the pocket, you can lock up the inside and push the passrusher deep. You need a franchise LT when your QB can't step up and get rid of the ball quickly, or if you need to take super deep drops on every possession.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

As RC said, Light and Diehl were great in their primes. Also, Starks ain't that bad. Big Ben just holds the ball way too long.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                            Ditto.
                            You want your Rodgers and Mannings and Brees and Farvrvreves to last the season, unlike the Sam Bradfords and Alex Smiths and Tom Brady's (hello Sebastien Vollmer) & your Don McNabbs.
                            That's why the Eagles totally overpaid for the LT Peters last year. They wanted to try and protect #5's blind side.

That's why the Packers just had to pay big bucks for Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. You all saw what happened to Rodgers the first half of the year last year when stiffs were at LT and/or RT.
                            Well.. one guy you brought up. Sam Bradford. He was injured while being sacked on a zone blitz, with who many are considering a potential "franchise LT" Trent Williams protecting him.

Comment

Okay, Diehl is likely moving back to LG because Eli was abused this past season, Big Ben is always nicked up so Starks is irrelevant in this conversation and Gandy is probably one of the reasons Warner retired, he took an absolute beating against New Orleans. Bushrod is the exception to the rule, Johnson is mediocre and is the reason why the Colts likely go LT in the first round. And Matt Light was selected fairly early, he was a second round pick.

Let me know how things are working out in Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Chiefs, Raiders and Seahawks when you see they don't have a solid LT.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information