Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Derrick Morgan: The Next Derrick Harvey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derrick Morgan: The Next Derrick Harvey?

Is Morgan a surer thing than Harvey & QG were 2 years ago for the Jaguars at the top of their draft?
    If so, why?
    Anyone else think he might have very limited impact like these 2 guys, and like DE Gaines Adams had before Tampa Bay gave up on him and sent him to the Bears ? (RIP Gaines)

Morgan: 6-4, 275 & highly touted
    Harvey: 6-5, 281 & highly touted
    Quintin Groves: 6-3, 260 & highly touted

I personally don't have a good feeling about Morgan.

Harvey and Groves were not highly touted. I considered Harvey at reach where they got him and saw him more of a 12 -16 range. Wasn't high on Groves either.
    Patriots Draft 2015
    1. CB - Marcus Peters
    2. WR - Sammie Coates
    3. RB - David Johnson
    3. DT - Angelo Blackson
    4. OG - Tre Jackson
    4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
    5. LB - Ben Heeney
    6. TE - Wes Saxton
    7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

This thread exists primarily because they are both named Derrick.

Comment

Brian Orakpo: 6-3, 263 & highly touted
        Derrick Morgan: 6-3, 266 & highly touted

Let's book this man's ticket to the Pro Bowl now

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Morgan's physical abilities/playing style is nothing like Harvey's. I don't see the comparison at all, unless you're solely looking at the measurables (which is a terrible way to compare prospects).

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
            Harvey and Groves were not highly touted. I considered Harvey at reach where they got him.... Wasn't high on Groves either.
            So who here is on record saying Morgan will not disappoint if he's picked around #10?
            I ask because I'm looking for people who have watched a lot of GT games as I have not. I only watched him closely against Iowa, when I lost money because I bet on Georgia Tech! Foolish. But I wasn't that impressed by Morgan.

Comment

I don't personally see Morgan being an impact pass rusher at the next level. He may develop into a solid overall DE, but won't be a perennial double digit sack guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                Brian Orakpo: 6-3, 263 & highly touted
                Derrick Morgan: 6-3, 266 & highly touted

Let's book this man's ticket to the Pro Bowl now
                Vernon Gholston...6'3 266...will Morgan challenge him as the biggest bust in the history of the game of football times ten?

Comment

This is like the third thread on Harvey/Morgan.

Morgan is not the same player as Derrick Harvey. He's 5x the run stopper that Harvey will ever be and also, IMO, is a better pass rusher. Morgan is more technical and also has 5x the motor that Harvey will ever have.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Harvey had more potential than Morgan does, but Morgan is a much surer thing than Harvey. Morgan reminds me of a mini Justin Tuck, he is an excellent run stopper and very versatile, not to mention he had 12 sacks this season. Can I guarantee Morgan will be worth where he is picked?.. I can't say but I can say he will be very solid in the league at worst, I do like him.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

Posted this on the Jags forum but might as well post it here as well.

I really struggle to see similarities between Harvey and Morgan besides their first name. Morgan has a fantastic first step, plethora of pass rush moves and is just overall far more athletic. His workout numbers are right up there with JPP and Dunlap while Harvey was outrun to the sidelines by Matt Hasselbeck.

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                      Morgan is not the same player as Derrick Harvey. He's 5x the run stopper that Harvey will ever be and also,
                      Whatever the rap on him was coming out, Harvey has turned into an excellent player against the run and I really don't see Morgan matching him in that.
                      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlinger View Post

Whatever the rap on him was coming out, Harvey has turned into an excellent player against the run and I really don't see Morgan matching him in that.
                        You couldn't be more wrong on that argument. Let's just say that Morgan for some reason, develops the same exact way that Harvey did, which is late bloomer in the NFL and will never reach full potential. Morgan would still be a better run defender than Harvey. Harvey was known as a decent, crafty pass rusher while in Gainesvile, but he couldn't stop the run consistently.

Fate holds the answer to this question, but Morgan is, like I said, 5x the run defender that Harvey will ever be at this stage of his career. I honestly can't believe that you would even compare Morgan and Harvey when it comes to stopping the run.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
                          You couldn't be more wrong on that argument. Let's just say that Morgan for some reason, develops the same exact way that Harvey did, which is late bloomer in the NFL and will never reach full potential. Morgan would still be a better run defender than Harvey. Harvey was known as a decent, crafty pass rusher while in Gainesvile, but he couldn't stop the run consistently.

Fate holds the answer to this question, but Morgan is, like I said, 5x the run defender that Harvey will ever be at this stage of his career. I honestly can't believe that you would even compare Morgan and Harvey when it comes to stopping the run.
                          True there, but I like to read what each of you guys have to say, being polar opposite opinions.
                          I wish I had gotten to see more of those guys play, but even those that watch all their games or film still make terrible errors in judgment quite often.

Comment

I see Morgan as being a solid but unspectacular defensive end. He'll be solid against the run and give you 5-8 sacks. Never really a true impact player, but a starter for a lot of years.

<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
                            <@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
                            <+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
                            <+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.

Comment

I cant see Morgan being a huge bust. He probably will never be the 12+ sack guy but he will likely be one of best well rounded DE's in the NFL

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information