Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausen Falling Out of Top 20?

per rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen predicts that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will not be drafted in the top-20 picks.
    This isn't a report; Mortensen is guessing. Still, he relays that plenty of teams "like" Clausen, but so far have been unable to find "reasons to love him." Mort predicts that the Bills will pass on Clausen if he falls to No. 9. Unless the Jaguars' (drafting 10th) interest in Clausen is sincere, a serious free fall could begin at that point, perhaps to as late as Minnesota (No. 30).

could be eerily similar to the Brady Quinn situation in 2007: a notre dame QB who some think will go top 5 (clausen to redskins/quinn to browns) could be passed on in favor of a franchise left tackle (russell okung/joe thomas) and a team at #9 (buffalo/miami) could pass on him and trigger his free fall....and perhaps a team in the 2nd round could trade up and pick him in the 20s. Could turn out to be exactly like the Brady Quinn situation if Mort is right.

I don't think he'll go top 10 for sure, then as Mort stated it's anyone's guess honestly, the way Quinn panned out probably doesn't help even though they are different players it surely isn't helping his cause.

I think if I'm Minnesota I'd absolutely love for him to fall into my laps, and he'd be worth moving up 5 or so picks to make sure you got him before a team in the early 2nd took him. He'd play in a dome, get a season to learn the ropes, and they get a franchise QB who doesn't have to carry the team on his back and will be seasoned in year 2.

He makes more sense for them then alot of teams picking early, I see him falling flat on his face in Buffalo. Should be interesting.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Could be another Brady Quinn situation but i would ask at this late stage what GMs or scouts are disclosing any information that can be used against them. I like Mort but take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened, but I'd be surprised if he made it past Buffalo. I think he'd be a good pick for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          Could be another Brady Quinn situation but i would ask at this late stage what GMs or scouts are disclosing any information that can be used against them. I like Mort but take it for what it's worth.
          Yea, I like Mort too, but he's wrong probably 85% of the time, and he's just guessing here, which means Clausen is probably a top 10 pick lol. Still, I'd be shocked to see him go really early(as in top 12 picks), but to an already talented team like Minny he makes alot of sense.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

If Buffalo is stupid enough to pass on him then they deserve to end up in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              if Mort is right.
              key phrase. can't recall the last time this happened.

this report IMO lends more credence to clausen going fourth overall.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                I don't think he'll go top 10 for sure, then as Mort stated it's anyone's guess honestly, the way Quinn panned out probably doesn't help even though they are different players it surely isn't helping his cause.

I think if I'm Minnesota I'd absolutely love for him to fall into my laps, and he'd be worth moving up 5 or so picks to make sure you got him before a team in the early 2nd took him. He'd play in a dome, get a season to learn the ropes, and they get a franchise QB who doesn't have to carry the team on his back and will be seasoned in year 2.

He makes more sense for them then alot of teams picking early, I see him falling flat on his face in Buffalo. Should be interesting.
                I would be more than happy with this scenario.
                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
                  If Buffalo is stupid enough to pass on him then they deserve to end up in Canada.
                  No body deserves that...

Comment

The more I hear and read, the more I think he's due for a freefall. Teams apparently are not buying his intangibles/leadership qualities.

Comment

What if the Vikings prefer taking a CB?

The Panthers?

Comment

Originally posted by parcells View Post
                        The more I hear and read, the more I think he's due for a freefall. Teams apparently are not buying his intangibles/leadership qualities.
                        He's Aaron Rodgers to me. I just don't see how Shanahan passes on him. He doesn't have Cutler's arm, but I think right now Clausen is much smarter with the football.

Comment

I said this was looking like more and more of a possibility last week...

EDIT: And if it happens a lot of teams will regret it.
                          Last edited by Scott Wright; 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM.
                          Scott Wright, President
                          Draft Countdown.com
                          www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                          www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

This isn't a report; Mortensen is guessing
                            yea......we all go to Mort for draft guessing.

Comment

Check the mock draft I made early last week. Called it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information