No announcement yet.

McCoy or Suh at #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a little talk that McCoy is perhaps a little overhyped at the moment and could even go outside of the top 5 (although I'd imagine his floor would have to be Seattle at 6). At any rate, I think Detroit is likely deciding between Suh and Okung at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
      I think this, something just tells me that McCoy is a tad overhyped
      Yup. Even if we assume the rumors were all true about most teams rated McCoy higher - or even as 1a & 1b - Suh had to bump his stock at the combine. All the GMs & FO guys basically say the same thing: If you've got two prospects that are relatively equal based on tape then the combine / workouts can be the tie-breaker. There's no way in hell the combine tie-breaker wasn't Suh by a big margin.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
        Personally, I prefer McCoy. I love his explosiveness and his strength and power are underrated. Suh is still Suh but I have some questions with how his game will translate to the next level. I'm still not sure how he will anchor against big physical guards. He tends to play a little high and relies to much on his upper body. This may very well of been because his job was to be a two-gap DT but I still have a few more questions about Suh than I do about McCoy.

With that being said, I still think it will be Suh at #2.
        if mccoy had that kind of strength he would rely on it too....mccoy also kind of has chicken legs for a DT, his overall strength just isnt that good (compared to suh at the very least) he does have a first step/explosive advantage on suh, but its not enough imo
        E]

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingElvis View Post
          Yup. Even if we assume the rumors were all true about most teams rated McCoy higher - or even as 1a & 1b - Suh had to bump his stock at the combine. All the GMs & FO guys basically say the same thing: If you've got two prospects that are relatively equal based on tape then the combine / workouts can be the tie-breaker. There's no way in hell the combine tie-breaker wasn't Suh by a big margin.
          This was after the combine:

According to CBS' Charley Casserly, the consensus at the Combine was that Gerald McCoy is a slightly better prospect than Ndamukong Suh.
          Suh had more college production in a read-and-react scheme and easily had a better Combine, but NFL evaluators apparently still think McCoy offers more upside. "It's a little more McCoy 1A and Suh 1B," said Casserly. "I ask two questions: Who's the better athlete and who's the better pass rusher? McCoy comes up more often than not as the yes guy there."
          Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

McCoy has better NFL-caliber pass rush moves...but oh wait, somehow those pass rush moves didn't work against college opponents as well as Suh's did? what gives?

Suh is the #2 pick, I'd write it in stone if I had a chisel(and a stone).

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              There's a little talk that McCoy is perhaps a little overhyped at the moment and could even go outside of the top 5 (although I'd imagine his floor would have to be Seattle at 6). At any rate, I think Detroit is likely deciding between Suh and Okung at this point.
              I think this, something just tells me that McCoy is a tad overhyped
              wow i can see the future. But i disagree with Seattle. IF the first three picks should go:

1. Bradford
              2. Russell
              3. Suh

then McCoy could drop to the Bills. There are 4 straight 3-4 teams (McCoy is not fit to play DE in a 3-4 at all IMO) and then Oak and Buffalo who both have larger problems on offense.

Rumors about bradford to STL dont convince me but, if i roll with it then there is a legitimate possiblity McCoy drops close to 10.

Comment

Suh, because he got a lot of media attention, had a big game in the Big 12 Championship and was a Heisman candidate, therefore he must be a better prospect. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  This was after the combine:
                  What i dont get is how they dont consider the fact that Nebraska's defense was far less talented than Oklahoma's and essentially Suh generated all his production without much help as well as without the greatest technique. With a year under a good DL coach, i dont see how Suh isnt the better player.

Comment

wow i can see the future. But i disagree with Seattle. IF the first three picks should go:

1. Bradford
                    2. Russell
                    3. Suh

then McCoy could drop to the Bills. There are 4 straight 3-4 teams (McCoy is not fit to play DE in a 3-4 at all IMO) and then Oak and Buffalo who both have larger problems on offense.

Rumors about bradford to STL dont convince me but, if i roll with it then there is a legitimate possiblity McCoy drops close to 10.
                    I had never heard anything definitive on Seattle switching to an exclusive 3-man front and I think McCoy would do fine playing from the 5-tech position were he asked. I'm not really one of the guys who thinks McCoy only fits at playing a strict undertackle position. His versatility isn't recognized very often.

edit - I totally disagree about Nebraska's defense being less talented or worse around Suh than McCoy had at Oklahoma. Go back and see exactly how many of Suh's sacks were hugely aided by great coverage by his teammates.
                    Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck; 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                      if mccoy had that kind of strength he would rely on it too....mccoy also kind of has chicken legs for a DT, his overall strength just isnt that good (compared to suh at the very least) he does have a first step/explosive advantage on suh, but its not enough imo
                      Chicken legs? Have you ever seen Gerald McCoy? His thighs are huge. You say his overall strength isn't that good compared to Suh but McCoy clearly has a stronger lower body which allows him to not only be more explosive but also to anchor better. Personally, knowing most of your power comes from your legs and your glutes, I'll take a DT with a stronger lower body over a DT with a stronger upper body. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                        Chicken legs? Have you ever seen Gerald McCoy? His thighs are huge. You say his overall strength isn't that good compared to Suh but McCoy clearly has a stronger lower body which allows him to not only be more explosive but also to anchor better. Personally, knowing most of your power comes from your legs and your glutes, I'll take a DT with a stronger lower body over a DT with a stronger upper body. But that's just me.
                        my bad, got them a little confused with the legs...ive seen alot more of suh than mccoy and suh just overpowers everyone one way or another whether its his upper body or just driving right through them...nothing real technical about his game he just bullies the opponent
                        E]

Comment

I'd draft Suh and play him at a 3-4 DE like Richard Seymour. To me you want to move him around like a Reggie White was moved to stay away from game planned double teams. Either way the Lions cant go wrong there unless they take a much lower rated player that happens to play OT.

Comment

i think he has 34 end superstar ability which is so rare and then down the road NT ability
                            E]

Comment

coaches would probably say suh, management would probably lean okung. i'm about 50% sure that we're trading down though. whether its bradford not going #1, a team falling for clausen, or a team wanting suh, there is at least 1 offer already out there for detroit. whether its the browns, bills, or some random team, this should be a trade down. i personally wouldn't trade up if i were a different team, but it only takes 1 offer. plus we probably aren't demanding a lot for the pick.
                              SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                              Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                                my bad, got them a little confused with the legs...ive seen alot more of suh than mccoy and suh just overpowers everyone one way or another whether its his upper body or just driving right through them...nothing real technical about his game he just bullies the opponent
                                I'm not tying to knock Suh at all. Just trying to make my case for why I prefer McCoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information