Gerald McCoy Is So Overrated !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerald McCoy Is So Overrated !!!

You've probably read a lot of my posts referring to McCoy as a bust waiting to happen or how he's not worth the 3rd overall pick imo. He's coming out as a junior, which I won't hold against him, after having the same type of year he did as a sophomore. In my opinion a lot of draftnicks got on his bandwagon early and now feel forced to stay on his bandwagon. In his case he really didn't do anything statistically, which I will show, to warrant a top 5 pick. I thought I would take the time to show you why I feel this way. This will probably be a pretty long read and comparison. Feel free to add your own information....

First off he just doesn't seem like he's big enough. Yeah, he's 6'4 295 but he's just got such a small upper body. He's legs are huge but his upper body is weak. Just compare him to a young Sapp here in this photo....

Next I've talked about him being really poor against the run. Teams know they can run right at him or throw screens at him because all he does is penetrate. Lets look at some stats from Oklahoma's games this year....

BYU-28 yards rushing
    Idaho-State -28 yards rushing
    Tulsa-116 yards rushing
    Miami-140 yards rushing
    Baylor-6 yards rushing
    Texas=142 yards rushing
    Kansas-81 yards rushing
    Kansas State-149 yards rushing
    Nebraska-141 yards rushing
    Texas A&M-59 yards rushing
    Texas Tech-161 yards rushing
    Oklahoma State-62 yards rushing
    Stanford-145 yards rushing

In 7 out of 13 games they gave up over 100 yards. In most it was either over 140 ypg or close to it. The teams that didn't rush for over 100 yards against them were mostly scrub teams. In the draftlab series on him they said that in 19 of 52 runs right at him the opponent gained 4 yards or more. In 10 of the 52 runs the opponent gained 10 yards or more. He is very susceptible to draws, screens, traps and counters.

As a matter of fact most scouts say he will not be able to play in any type of 3-4 defense. He wouldn't even make a good end in a 3-4. They also say that he will most likely only be effective in a 4-3 as a one gap pass rusher. I also question why he doesn't have better stats. One site said that he was used to take up 2 blockers so that his linebackers and other lineman can make the play. Wasn't it many of you last year that said that Ron Brace wasn't worth the #19 pick because all he did was eat up blockers on the #1 run defense in the country?

So now lets look at some stats of 4-3 DTs just to show you the difference and why he's not worth the #3 pick....

Gerald McCoy 6'4 295 (Junior) Age 21
    2009-32 TT 25 Solo 7 Assists 6 Sacks
    2008-26 TT 13 Solo 13 Assists 6 Sacks 1 INT
    2007-19 TT 9 Solo 10 Assists 2 Sacks

Ndamukong Suh 6'4 300 (Senior) Age 23
    2009-82 TT 37 Solo 45 Assists 12 Sacks 1 INT
    2008-76 TT 39 Solo 37 Assists 7 Sacks 2 INTs 2 TDs
    2007--34 TT 20 Solo 14 Assists 1 Sack
    2006-19 TT 12 Solo 7 Assists 3 Sacks 1 INT
    2005-1 TT 1 Assist

Brian Price 6'2 300 (Junior) Age 20
    2009-43 TT 36 Solo 7 Assists 7 Sacks 1 FF
    2008-35 TT 25 Solo 10 Assists 4 Sacks 1 FF 1 INT
    2007-14 TT 9 Solo 5 Assists 1 Sacks 2 FF

Dan Williams 6'3 327 (Senior) Age 22
    2009-62 TT 30 Solo 32 Assists 2 Sacks
    2008-49 TT 23 Solo 26 Assists 1 Sack
    2007-40 TT 15 Solo 25 Assists 2 Sacks
    2006-2 TT 1 Solo 1 Assist 1 Sack

Jared Odrick 6'5 306 (Senior) Age 22
    2009-43 TT 17 Solo 26 Assists 7 Sacks
    2008-41 TT 19 Solo 22 Assists 4 Sacks
    2007-16 TT 8 Solo 8 Assists 2 Sacks
    2006-4 TT 3 Solo 1 Assist 1 Sack

Lamarr Houston 6'2 300 (Senior) Age 22
    2009-57 TT 38 Solo 19 Assists 7 Sacks
    2008-23 TT 16 Solo 7 Assists 1 Sack
    2007-45 TT 24 Solo 21 Assists 4 Sacks
    2006-8 TT 4 Solo 4 Assists 1 Sack

Do you see where I am going with this? Look at his tape. Look at his stats. Look at his size and build. Why is everyone so caught up in this Gerald McCoy hype. What exactly has he done to deserve to even be considered a top 15 pick?

Mike Will & V-Jax

April Fools!
    Twitter

Comment

are you being serious?

sig by fenikz
      Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
      You are just a terrible person.
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      I have an iPhone.

Comment

I think you are underrating some of the statistics here just to try and work with your argument.

First of all, Oklahoma was 7th in the entire country in rush defense. Giving up 100 yards per game on the ground is not a big deal. Only 12 of the 120 teams gave up less than 100 yards per game. Oklahoma gave up 88 yards per game on the ground and only 2.7 yards per carry (5th in the nation). Since we are equating team success to individual success, I must point out that Nebraska gave up 96 yards per game and 2.8 yards per carry while UCLA gave up 144 yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry and Tennessee gave up 142 yards per game and 4.2 yards per carry. Oklahoma had the best run defense of that group.

Next, you say that 19 of the 52 runs against McCoy went for four or more yards. That means that about 65% of the time he stopped the runner for a 3 yard gain or less. Is that elite? No, but it doesn't make him a liability either. The 10/52 for over ten yards is irrelevant. Once a runner gets those initial five yards and passes the defensive line, it is the linebackers and defensive backs' job to keep the runner from a big play. It's not McCoy's responsibility to chase down the runner ten or more yards downfield.

He isn't the run stopper that Suh is, but he isn't the liability that you are trying to make him out to be either.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlinger View Post
          April Fools!
          I ******* hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Interesting that against Oklahoma State with arguably the best offensive lineman in the draft they held in check. The statistics illustrated don't really translate well, I don't think. Lets talk about tackles for loss.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
                I think you are underrating some of the statistics here just to try and work with your argument.

First of all, Oklahoma was 7th in the entire country in rush defense. Giving up 100 yards per game on the ground is not a big deal. Only 12 of the 120 teams gave up less than 100 yards per game. Oklahoma gave up 88 yards per game on the ground and only 2.7 yards per carry (5th in the nation). Since we are equating team success to individual success, I must point out that Nebraska gave up 96 yards per game and 2.8 yards per carry while UCLA gave up 144 yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry and Tennessee gave up 142 yards per game and 4.2 yards per carry. Oklahoma had the best run defense of that group.

Next, you say that 19 of the 52 runs against McCoy went for four or more yards. That means that about 65% of the time he stopped the runner for a 3 yard gain or less. Is that elite? No, but it doesn't make him a liability either. The 10/52 for over ten yards is irrelevant. Once a runner gets those initial five yards and passes the defensive line, it is the linebackers and defensive backs' job to keep the runner from a big play. It's not McCoy's responsibility to chase down the runner ten or more yards downfield.

He isn't the run stopper that Suh is, but he isn't the liability that you are trying to make him out to be either.
                You win PL....

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by villagewarrior View Post
                  Interesting that against Oklahoma State with arguably the best offensive lineman in the draft they held in check. The statistics illustrated don't really translate well, I don't think. Lets talk about tackles for loss.
                  Gerald McCoy
                  15.5 TFL 2 passes broken up 12 QB hurries 1 FF 0 kicks/punts blocked

Ndamukong Suh
                  20.5 TFL 10 passes broken up 19 QB hurries 1 FF 3 kicks/punts blocked

Brian Price
                  23.5 TFL 1 pass broken up 1 QB hurry 2 FF 0 kicks/punts blocked

Dan Williams
                  9 TFL 0 passes broken up 0 QB hurries 0 FF 0 kicks/punts blocked

Jared Odrick
                  11 TFL 1 pass broken up 4 QB hurries 0 FF 1 kick/punt blocked

Lamarr Houston
                  16.5 TFL 4 passes broken up 10 QB hurries 0 FF 0 kicks/punts blocked

Tyson Alualu
                  10.5 TFL 4 passes broken up 1 QB hurry 1 FF 0 Kicks/punts blocked

Looks like other than Suh Houston offers the best value. As stated many times if we're talking about a guy who we are thinking of taking #3 overall shouldn't he be far and above better at something than a guy we are talking about taking in the late 2nd/early 3rd?

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

oh btw vip, i meant to neg rep you. damnit.

sig by fenikz
                    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                    You are just a terrible person.
                    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                    I have an iPhone.

Comment

Wow I entirely disagree, but honestly if you're willing to actually look up stats and at least try to defend your opinion that is admirable. You might want to see a doctor though. Team stats do not fall on one single player, they are team stats. Production is system related.

Comment

I seriously think that any team that has a chance to grab Suh would be absolutely foolish to pick McCoy instead.

Don't get me wrong, McCoy could easily be a solid player in the NFL, but Suh is just too special to pass up, and it's not even a contest between the two.

Comment

This thread comes across as "I'm a Tampa fan who really wants the bigger name, Suh, so I've convinced myself that McCoy is overrated". You don't have to talk down one player just because you like another. Suh's feelings won't be hurt if you like McCoy too.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                            Wow I entirely disagree, but honestly if you're willing to actually look up stats and at least try to defend your opinion that is admirable.
                            P-L obviously had me beaten, and i suck at debating.

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                            This thread comes across as "I'm a Tampa fan who really wants the bigger name, Suh, so I've convinced myself that McCoy is overrated". You don't have to talk down one player just because you like another. Suh's feelings won't be hurt if you like McCoy too.
                            How is Suh the bigger name? McCoy is a 5 letter word.
                            Last edited by V.I.P; 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

If you watch the tape of McCoy versus Miami, you'll see a disruptive force that was consistently getting into the backfield. Miami ran a lot of stretch plays away from McCoy and lots of misdirections to try to neutralize him. He was easily OU's best defensive player in that game.
                              "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information