Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Eric Berry a top 5 pick in everyone's eyes and Earl Thomas is not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Eric Berry a top 5 pick in everyone's eyes and Earl Thomas is not?

Now lets start this off by saying that I'm not hating on Berry at all think he is an amazing player. Just want to know why he's a top 5 and Thomas is not.

In the last two years Thomas has had 135 tackles, 20 pass break up's, 10 int's and 5 FF.

He runs in the 4.3's and is the same size as Berry.

If people put talk about Suh and McCoy they say 1a and 1b.

Why not with these two? Just as much as Suh and McCoy will be connected through there careers these two should be as well.

Berry's bigger, faster, hits harder and has just as much if not more range and playmaking ability?

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
    Originally posted by JBCX
    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
      Berry's bigger, faster, hits harder and has just as much if not more range and playmaking ability?
      Agree with everything but range. Earl Thomas' range is scary good. Thomas also may not have the body to be able to consistently throw himself about which is why he may need to move to CB.

Playmaking ability is the big one though and Berry has that in spades

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
        Yeah your right Berry has 3 pounds, 1/2 inch and .2 seconds on him.

Don't give me this Bigger, Faster and Stronger stuff. You guys make it seem like Earl is a shrimp that can't run.

Comment

Earl isnt great in run support.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Honestly, i'm probably ET's biggest fan, but even i think he might be a little undersized to be a full time safety in the NFL. His coverage skills are top notch, and i think he can be a very good CB in the NFL if coached properly. Berry is looked more as a pure, play making safety, and teams covet that. ET is more of a 'tweener since he's probably in the 5'9 area (I think Scott's 5'10 1/2 is a little generous) and doesn't have the bulk some other safeties have. I think he's gonna be successful wherever he plays, but he has the potential to be an Asante Samuel type of corner (except he'll actually tackle).

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
              Earl isnt great in run support.
              He isn't 03 Roy Williams in run support, but he's no slouch either. He more than handles his own.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                He isn't 03 Roy Williams in run support, but he's no slouch either. He more than handles his own.
                I'm not saying he's terrible, but there are times when he doesn't sell out for a tackle. I remember that A&M game where he wouldn't go in for hits on JJ, he would let the ball carrier come to him, instead of charging.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by bigbuc View Post
                  Why is Eric Berry a top 5 pick in everyone's eyes and Earl Thomas is not?
                  Mike Mayock is that you?

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                    Mike Mayock is that you?
                    Lol... I'm not saying that Earl is better than EB. What I'm asking is why no one has him up there with Berry.

Like if EB goes to KC at 5. And the Browns want a play making S, why not take Earl Thomas?

Comment

Berry probably does everything slightly better and is just a better prospect and has done it for a longer period of time in his college career. I also have to disagree about the range which is ET's strongest point and the first thing I noticed about his game.

I don't think he's undersized though, there's not much difference between him and Delmas in terms of weight and size.

He could do some CB, same as Huff when he came out, but you'd be taking away his range, play-making ability, and the way he reads the QB which is what makes him so good.

Just put him at FS and trust him to man up with a TE in different sets, to me that would be alot more valuable then just strictly a corner, because you know he can roam and make plays but still match up with a slot WR or TE time to time.

Really though Berry is just a better prospect, but it's not like they'll be drafted that far apart. Berry is probably going #7, ET could go as soon as Pittsburgh, there isn't really a big difference in terms of stock but Berry is better across the board slightly in most areas.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Don't give me this Bigger, Faster and Stronger stuff. You guys make it seem like Earl is a shrimp that can't run.
                        Why do people come here and post combine/pro-day work out stuff as gospel?

Originally posted by fenikz
                        His soft D really turns me off
                        ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Earl Thomas admitted he bulked up about 8 pounds before the combine, which is perfectly fine. A prospect should do everything to improve his draft status and prepare his body for the rigors of the pro game.

Although Thomas is barely 5'10, Berry a hair under 6 foot. IMO Berry plays more physical and is more scheme versatile, because of his better size.

Neither is Taylor Mays from a stature standpoint, just saying Berry is a bit larger.

I think the real question you pose is, why is Berry considered the better playmaker over Thomas??

Berry just blew my mind his sophomore year at Tennessee; in many ways Thomas' junior year at Texas was equally impressive.

For most fans, Berry has been on folks' radar longer than Thomas has, but as pure football players, there's really not much difference.

As playmakers, my expectations for Berry would be the same I have for Thomas in the pros, in that, both have All-Pro, Ed Reed/Troy Polamau (mainly Berry) upside.

I'm a big Berry fan, but I respect the game Earl Thomas brings to the field and would love to have either one on my team.
                          Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 04-03-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Now lets start this off by saying that I'm not hating on Berry at all think he is an amazing player. Just want to know why he's a top 5 and Thomas is not.

In the last two years Thomas has had 135 tackles, 20 pass break up's, 10 int's and 5 FF.

He runs in the 4.3's and is the same size as Berry.

If people put talk about Suh and McCoy they say 1a and 1b.

Why not with these two? Just as much as Suh and McCoy will be connected through there careers these two should be as well.
                            Alright, don't know where you're getting that info. According to Scott and the combine, he ran a 4.49. Which is respectable considering he's not the type of player that really needs an incredible time to prove he's a talent.

You also exaggerated his 40, but didnt even care to look up his stats, Scott has him at 149 tackles, 33 PBU, and 10 INTS, but espn site said this:

52 Solo tackles
                            19 Assisted tackles
                            4 forced fumbles
                            2 interceptions

39 Solo tackles
                            18 Assisted tackles
                            1 forced fumble
                            8 interceptions
                            149 int. return yards
                            18.6 return avg.
                            92 long
                            2 TDs

Now due to my love of Earlz i may not be the person to evaluate this, but i think that Earl's hip movement, his fluidity, and his closing speed are amazing and alot of the reason why Mayock fell in love with him as well. He has pretty decent hands, very good instincts, but even when you say he has all that he doesn't have anywhere near the size you'd like for an NFL Safety. He's 5'9 and 7/8ths from the combine, but Scott has him at 5'10 1/4''. Either way he isn't very tall, not even really ideal height for a corner. His frame is small as well, and although tackling really wasn't a problem in college, there are alot of doubts he'll be able to hold up in the pro's. Part of me believes that he'll be alright in that area, but his size provides major worries.

Eric Berry is just phenomenal. He has equivalent or better natural instincts to make plays on the ball, but some of his highlight reels will be misleading because the ball really came to him. He has very good hands and very very very long arms which will not only help when leaping for a ball, but in seperating his body from a blocker's. He got a 4.47 40 according to scott, which is also perfectly fine for a player like him. He has the entire package, although he may not have the greatest backpedal or hip movement, those skills are much less detrimental as a safety than as a corner, which is why i believe he should stay at safety, although he technically could play corner.

Earl thomas screams Steelers corner, he has the physicality to play a 3-4 and support the run, as well as has the experience in zone, but could still play man to man with possession receivers.

Comment

If Earl Thomas stayed in school one more year and made the defense avoid him like EB did I would've put them both equally as prospects

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information