Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Gaither vs 1st Round OT's

Who would you rather have?

If I'm a team in the 1st looking to draft an OT I'd try and trade for Gaither.

Here is what KC Joyner had to say about Gaither of whom he has listed as one of his top three free agents to bid on:

"Gaither has been a starter for the past two seasons and in that time his metrics have been nothing short of superb. He has allowed only seven total sacks in 27 games and only one of these was a one-on-one sack (defined as when a defender beats a blocker in a one-on-one environment and tackles the quarterback in the pocket within three seconds of the snap). That illustrates Gaither's dominant pass blocking skills, but his run blocking numbers are also quite notable. Gaither was at the Point of Attack (POA) on 300 running plays the past two years and he won his block 255 times, or 85 percent of the time. That is a solid number on its own, but his 2009 POA win rate of 89.0 percent is even more noteworthy. To put that total into perspective, consider that in a typical NFL season, a little less than one out of ten offensive linemen will crack the 90 percent POA win mark. Gaither was on the precipice of that mark last year despite battling injuries."

Why spend 50 mil on a rookie when you can give a similar contract to a proven player who is only 23 years old?

The part about spending 50 million on a tackle in the draft is a little misleading seeing as Michael Oher signed for about 15 million total.

If you're asking would you want Gaither over Okung/Bulaga/Williams i would answer no. Would he be better than the next 2 or 3 tackles would probably be the better question.

Comment

If a team is willing to pay Gaither, it might make a lot of sense for someone to trade for him. The value on trading a high second-round pick for Gaither is great, seeing as he's an excellent young LT, and if you're an OT-needy team you are now free to spend your first-round pick elsewhere. A team like Buffalo could trade their second-round pick for Gaither and draft Clausen at #9 and immediately be a much better team than they were last year. No idea on whether or not Ralph would pay up for both players but it's easy to see how much they'd improve on what they had last year.

Comment

Other than his rumored work ethic problems it seems like a no-brainer. But then you have to wonder why it hasn't happened yet. I guess teams might wait to see how the draft shakes out?

Comment

There has to be something about Gaither that worries me. Why do the Ravens want rid of him when they could have great young bookend tackles for the next 10 years???

He has had some injury concerns so if I was a team interested in him I would make sure the physical he has to pass is thorough.

I would also take Gaither over any OT in this draft assuming he checks out physically. Right now he is probably a top 5-7 LT in the league and he is a proven commodity. I would much rather him than paying a similar contract to a guy who may bust.

Buffalo as the example was used above could go two ways

1. Top OT on board which would probably be Davis or Campbell then Tebow or McCoy in the second

2. Jimmy Clausen(if available) and Jared Gaither.

For me that is a no brainer

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
            There has to be something about Gaither that worries me. Why do the Ravens want rid of him when they could have great young bookend tackles for the next 10 years???

He has had some injury concerns so if I was a team interested in him I would make sure the physical he has to pass is thorough.

I would also take Gaither over any OT in this draft assuming he checks out physically. Right now he is probably a top 5-7 LT in the league and he is a proven commodity. I would much rather him than paying a similar contract to a guy who may bust.

Buffalo as the example was used above could go two ways

1. Top OT on board which would probably be Davis or Campbell then Tebow or McCoy in the second

2. Jimmy Clausen(if available) and Jared Gaither.

For me that is a no brainer

Exactly, Ozzie Newsome is no dummy. With a major injury to Gaither as well, he isn't an elite LT as some of these guys could be.

Follow Me on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
              The part about spending 50 million on a tackle in the draft is a little misleading seeing as Michael Oher signed for about 15 million total.
              I think he was talking about Okung being a Top 5 pick, not someone at the middle-bottom first.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post

If you're asking would you want Gaither over Okung/Bulaga/Williams i would answer no. Would he be better than the next 2 or 3 tackles would probably be the better question.
                Exactly. The first round of the draft (outside of the top 10) is still very, very inexpensive compared to free agents and trades. You're much more likely to end up paying Gaither $50 million than a rookie tackle in the middle of the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post

I agree with these sentiments exactly, however if it could be assured that Gaither was fine physically and the only reason the Ravens are looking to move him is money than you very well could have a major steal for a 2nd round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                    Exactly, Ozzie Newsome is no dummy. With a major injury to Gaither as well, he isn't an elite LT as some of these guys could be.
                    What major injury do you speak of?

Comment

Shane is correct, Newsome is one of the best in the biz, he must know something about Gaither that we dont. Yes its true that he wants a new contract and its true that they feel confident in sliding Oher to LT..but money cant be the only reason. Must be a combo of money, injury and or lack of faith in his actual playing ability. Otherwise i have no idea as to why teams like my Niners arent making a move..

Comment

Originally posted by PhysicalwithanF View Post
                        Shane is correct, Newsome is one of the best in the biz, he must know something about Gaither that we dont.
                        Maybe the Ravens have talked with him about moving him to RT and he knows LTs make the most money and doesn't want to do it. Oher might be better than Gaither (probably a good chance of it), but Gaither is still a better LT than most in the NFL. Maybe he's told the team he won't sign with them long-term unless it's at LT, and the Ravens want to get something for him instead of just letting him go.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                          Maybe the Ravens have talked with him about moving him to RT and he knows LTs make the most money and doesn't want to do it. Oher might be better than Gaither (probably a good chance of it), but Gaither is still a better LT than most in the NFL. Maybe he's told the team he won't sign with them long-term unless it's at LT, and the Ravens want to get something for him instead of just letting him go.
                          Gaither has already stated that he wants to be a LT.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=4694

Im a left tackle, so why would I even think about playing right? Gaither asked. That would be like asking Joe Flacco if he wants to play running back. Left tackle is my position, and thats where I want to be.
                          We definitely aren't looking to move him to RT though, Oher is a better RT than Gaither and Gaither is a better LT than Oher.

Comment

Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
                            Gaither has already stated that he wants to be a LT.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=4694

We definitely aren't looking to move him to RT though, Oher is a better RT than Gaither and Gaither is a better LT than Oher.
                            I thought I'd read the Ravens wanted to move Oher to the left side this season.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                              I thought I'd read the Ravens wanted to move Oher to the left side this season.
                              Where? All I've seen is speculation from fans. Honestly i don't think Oher will be a great LT. He's capable of playing the position, but just not going to be great (or as good as Gaither at that spot).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information