Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Brown vs. Anthony Davis

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ght-night.html

Here's a very interesting analysis of the two.

I think he hit on everything that's been talked about with Davis - the maturity questions are obviously the biggest concern, otherwise he has the ability to be a great tackle on either side.

But Charles Brown...why are people not very high on him? I hear some people saying he's not a 1st round value, but I'm not sure why. The guy projects perfectly to the left side and within a couple years he should be a very complete player at his position. He has a wide frame to accommodate some more mass, which should help him anchor and run block more effectively, and there's no question he excels in pass protection. We've seen guys like Duane Brown, Joe Staley and Sam Baker come out with very similar profiles and they've all had a good deal of success early in their careers.

So, anyone else willing to break the mold and say Brown is actually the 4th best tackle and not Davis?

Originally posted by FrankGore View Post
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ght-night.html

Here's a very interesting analysis of the two.

I think he hit on everything that's been talked about with Davis - the maturity questions are obviously the biggest concern, otherwise he has the ability to be a great tackle on either side.

But Charles Brown...why are people not very high on him? I hear some people saying he's not a 1st round value, but I'm not sure why. The guy projects perfectly to the left side and within a couple years he should be a very complete player at his position. He has a wide frame to accommodate some more mass, which should help him anchor and run block more effectively, and there's no question he excels in pass protection. We've seen guys like Duane Brown, Joe Staley and Sam Baker come out with very similar profiles and they've all had a good deal of success early in their careers.

So, anyone else willing to break the mold and say Brown is actually the 4th best tackle and not Davis?
    I think Brown is the 3rd best tackle...and Im being a little conservative with that ranking. I like him as much as anyone.
    Hate to do this, this is the second time Im quoting my own blog today, but I did a piece on Brown being underrated so I think its appropriate.

Charles Brown is one of my favourite prospects in the draft and I feel is most likely the most underrated prospect regadless of position within the draftnik community. If I was to tell you that there was a 6'5 305 lb LT, who comes from one of the best programs in the country, played in a pro style attack, just completed most likely the best college season of any OT in 2009, and is also probably the best natural pass protector in the draft you would think I'm talking about a top 10 pick. But for some reason Charles Brown has been pushed down draft boards until the end of round 1. Ridiculous. I don't think he's quite on the same level as Russell Okung or probably Bryan Bulaga, but thats because of Browns lack of power running ability. Lucky for Brown, left tackles aren't paid for their power run blocking, they're paid for their pass protection skills. Brown has those. Great feet, quick lateral movement, great use of hands... and he's also fantastic in certain run situations, likely those featured in a zone blocking scheme, such as sweeps and tosses. He also gets to the second level as good as any lineman in this draft. Brown is extremely similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson the prospect but for some reason doesn't get the same level of respect. If a team needing a LT, such as Green Bay, Arizona, or Indianapolis gets him at the end of round 1, I think we'll be looking at a huge steal.
    Browns pass blocking is elite. The best of anyones in the draft. Put him on an island against any pass rusher and you should be fine. His run blocking is very underrated for the record. If he gets into the right scheme he should do very well. He is so good at getting to the second level, and when you move him around laterally in running situations he can really show off his athleticism.
    Ive said it before and Ill say it again...Charles Brown is very similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a prospect. Im glad other people are now seeing that comparison. I was laughed at a while back for saying that.

Come on people, theres still room on the Charles Brown bandwagon. Hop on!
    Last edited by Mr.Regular; 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

MY OT Rankings:

1. Okung
      2. Bulaga
      3. Williams
      4. Davis
      5. Brown
      6.Campbell

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

1. Anthony Davis
        2. Bryan Bulaga
        3. Charles Brown

Okung is highly overrated. He's got bust written all over him.

Comment

1. Okung
          2. Williams
          3. Bulaga
          4. Davis
          5. Brown
          6. Saffold
          7. Fox
          8. Campbell

yeah

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            1. Anthony Davis
            2. Bryan Bulaga
            3. Charles Brown

oddly enough i agree with you...not so much charles brown #3 but about davis and bulaga 1 and 2 and okung being overrated.

i like trent williams over charles brown, even though brown looks to have beefed up just enough to make me have faith in him
            E]

Comment

Davis is arguably the best and most talented blocker and OT in this draft. his maturity and work ethic questions are scaring people. it's as simple as that. He's inconsistant, but at his age, most players are and that can be taught I feel.
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by K Train View Post
                oddly enough i agree with you...not so much charles brown #3 but about davis and bulaga 1 and 2 and okung being overrated.

i like trent williams over charles brown, even though brown looks to have beefed up just enough to make me have faith in him
                I still question Trent Williams being a LT. I think the team that drafts him to be a RT will get the best out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                  Davis is arguably the best and most talented blocker and OT in this draft. his maturity and work ethic questions are scaring people. it's as simple as that. He's inconsistant, but at his age, most players are and that can be taught I feel.
                  ...and the scarier thing is that Davis hasn't even been coached well yet due to the terrible Rutgers program.

hahahahhahahaa Scottyboy!

Comment

I still question Trent Williams being a LT. I think the team that drafts him to be a RT will get the best out of him.
                    i agree but i think he will be a RT for a year or 2 and be worked onto the left side. hes not a pure RT like a guy like Gosder Cherilus, hes such a good athlete that if he cant handle playing on the left it will be a fail
                    E]

Comment

1. Anthony Davis
                      2. Bryan Bulaga
                      3. Charles Brown

sounds like a dallas fan trying to feel better about skins drafting okung...typical ;)

honestly though its really scheme driven with OL beyond premiere prospects. davis will be ahead of bulaga and brown on some boards and way behind them on others.

Comment

...and the scarier thing is that Davis hasn't even been coached well yet due to the terrible Rutgers program.

hahahahhahahaa Scottyboy!
                        For a while there I thought **** was about to go down, royal rumble style...
                        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                          sounds like a dallas fan trying to feel better about skins drafting okung...typical ;)

honestly though its really scheme driven with OL beyond premiere prospects. davis will be ahead of bulaga and brown on some boards and way behind them on others.
                          I'm not new to this party. I've felt this way, way before the Skins were picking in the Top 5 and had their QB issues settled. Plus, as a Hawaii guy, you KNOW I want the best protecting Colt's blindside!!! :p

Just watch Okung play.... The guy lunges at thin air half the damn time. ...I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.
                          Last edited by D-Unit; 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM.

Comment

It is all character issues with Davis. He doesn't show much passion or motivation for the game and that is going to drop him some come draft day. He a high risk/reward type who could turnout to be the best or a complete flop.

As for Brown, he needs to get a lot stronger but has a solid upside and should go late round 1.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

I'm not new to this party. I've felt this way, way before the Skins were picking in the Top 5 and had their QB issues settled. Plus, as a Hawaii guy, you KNOW I want the best protecting Colt's blindside!!! :p

Just watch Okung play.... The guy lunges at thin air half the damn time. ...I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.
                              Okung moves extremely well downfield, but he'll lunge and miss, you're right. He'll need to work on engaging at the second level in the NFL if he's ever to become an impact Left Tackle. His footwork, length, and ability use his long arms to wall defenders make him one of the class' best pass-blockers & he's not afraid to get beat. In the run game, when engaged, Okung showed tremendous upper body power, a good leg drive, and solid hand placement. ijn the run game. A well-rounded Tackle that should be the safest bet of the bunch to stick on the Left side. Worth the 4th-6th pick or so, I think Detroit would be reaching to select him at 2nd Overall.

As for Charles Brown: you love to look at his athleticism, his build, and his length but I'm surprised no one here has drawn attention to his fatal flaws. His playing temperament leaves something to be desired as he's not mean or physical by any means. He lacks anchor strength and will struggle when bull-rushed in the NFL. He's not for any team that plans to run the ball as he moves well but just isn't very strong or tough. Not a first round value in my opinion, but maybe a first round pick this month. I have him graded more in the Mid-Late 2nd and I consider him as a high upside prospect but right now he's more of a prospect than player to me; I have my doubts about his ability to succeed in the NFL though, especially in certain divisions.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                              - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                              www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information