Gil Brandt's Top 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil Brandt's Top 100

In case you don't know, Gil Brandt was the Director of Scouting for the Dallas Cowboys during their hay days and has excellent contacts among scouts and GM's.
    If you want another opinion on the draft other than Mayock or Davis's on NFL Network, then here it is.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true
    And proud of it!!!

No way Taylor Mays goes in the 2nd round.

Dang, this draft looks deep through the first 2 rounds!!.

Comment

Bruce Campbell in the Top 10... I stopped reading.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Minor detail but anyone that has Dwyer over Gerhart has lost whatever credibilty he had back in "Dallas's hay day".

Comment

is it just me or is Saffold really picking up a lot of momentum all of a sudden?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
            is it just me or is Saffold really picking up a lot of momentum all of a sudden?
            Definitely, a few weeks ago, it was DeMaryius Thomas (I personally think that was him moving up to where he should be though), but Saffold is gaining momentum.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

always a pleasure to look at brandt's thoughts as one of the grand old men of the profession.

of course, the most striking name is campbell from maryland in the top 10. We all know campbell has the genetics, he has the movement - i saw limited film on him, but his kickslide was baryshnikov-like - reminds me in build of an athletically gifted tight end from marshall in the late 80s early 90s name eric ihnat. with campbell what you have to do is interview him - you have to understand if he is willing to work or he is not willing to work. Campbell's handpunch needs work, he needs to seal better, etc., but if he will work, brandt's projection there is not absurd.

campbell in the top 10 shows what brandt likes, the same 70s weltanschauung as al davis - the logic is that if i have 11 proles that are superior athletically then we cannot lose.

and people like to knock al davis for the bad talent evaluation - but if you look at the raiders' roster in terms of talent, i dont think its insufficient. of course, russell turned out to be a catastrophe at quarters, but that is because he doesnt want to work and thats why interviews are so crucial.

the major problem with davis is not the acquisition of talent, but that he interferes in the coaching. he doesn't give the defensive co-ordinator freedom, he doesn't want to blitz, he wants to play the same scheme they have had there for the last 30 years. al has not evolved tactically and strategically with the rest of the league. When he let gruden do what he wanted to do on offense, and also gave willie shaw some tactical freedom on defense (in i believe gruden's first year there) the improvement was marked. the general populace repeats the cliche about davis' talent acquisition problems and it is exactly that - a cliche. It doesnt help to have disgruntled employees like lombardi -who never did anything in the league as a personnel man -constantly assassinating him because of some grievance.

all this being said, a problem does exist with al davis regarding the draft - al davis doesn't like to trade on draft day. and this could seem like a very simple reason, but the fact is that it might be because he is too old. al wants to be in total control in the draft room, the raiders are his life's work - but when the raiders are on the clock, time simply moves too fast for al. by this i mean the time required to use the phones to contact teams, to set up possible trades - its too much at this point for Al to do - time moves too fast for him to make a decision when that clock is running like train smoke. He knows he could have traded down and gotten hayward-bey later, but he has it in his head before the draft that to strategically minimize complications he wont make trades and will stay in his slot. then you get situations like hayward-bey in 1a, mitchell in 2b last year - al knows he could have gotten them later, but this is a case like when Hitler took the power away from his generals towards the end of world war 2 and decided to take everything into his own hands, all the while knowing that you are fundamentally limited in an area: you roll the dice and hope it doesnt end up as train smoke.
              Last edited by KLAUS; 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KLAUS View Post
                always a pleasure to look at brandt's thoughts as one of the grand old men of the profession.

of course, the most striking name is campbell from maryland in the top 10. We all know campbell has the genetics, he has the movement - i saw limited film on him, but his kickslide was baryshnikov-like - reminds me in build of an athletically gifted tight end from marshall in the late 80s early 90s name eric ihnat. with campbell what you have to do is interview him - you have to understand if he is willing to work or he is not willing to work. Campbell's handpunch needs work, he needs to seal better, etc., but if he will work, brandt's projection there is not absurd.

campbell in the top 10 shows what brandt likes, the same 70s weltanschauung as al davis - the logic is that if i have 11 proles that are superior athletically then we cannot lose.

and people like to knock al davis for the bad talent evaluation - but if you look at the raiders' roster in terms of talent, i dont think its insufficient. of course, russell turned out to be a catastrophe at quarters, but that is because he doesnt want to work and thats why interviews are so crucial.

the major problem with davis is not the acquisition of talent, but that he interferes in the coaching. he doesn't give the defensive co-ordinator freedom, he doesn't want to blitz, he wants to play the same scheme they have had there for the last 30 years. al has not evolved tactically and strategically with the rest of the league. When he let gruden do what he wanted to do on offense, and also gave willie shaw some tactical freedom on defense (in i believe gruden's first year there) the improvement was marked. the general populace repeats the cliche about davis' talent acquisition problems and it is exactly that - a cliche. It doesnt help to have disgruntled employees like lombardi -who never did anything in the league as a personnel man -constantly assassinating him because of some grievance.

all this being said, a problem does exist with al davis regarding the draft - al davis doesn't like to trade on draft day. and this could seem like a very simple reason, but the fact is that it might be because he is too old. al wants to be in total control in the draft room, the raiders are his life's work - but when the raiders are on the clock, time simply moves too fast for al. by this i mean the time required to use the phones to contact teams, to set up possible trades - its too much at this point for Al to do - time moves too fast for him to make a decision when that clock is running like train smoke. He knows he could have traded down and gotten hayward-bey later, but he has it in his head before the draft that to strategically minimize complications he wont make trades and will stay in his slot. then you get situations like hayward-bey in 1a, mitchell in 2b last year - al knows he could have gotten them later, but this is a case like when Hitler took the power away from his generals towards the end of world war 2 and decided to take everything into his own hands, all the while knowing that you are fundamentally limited in an area: you roll the dice and hope it doesnt end up as train smoke.
                This is a really insightful post and I agree with a lot of it.

The problem in Oakland isn't necessarily Al Davis the GM. It's Al Davis trying to play owner, GM, and coach, then hiring a bunch of figurehead coaches who get undermined in less than a season because the players know that Davis is running every level of the organization and the coaches have no real authori-tay.

Comment

Unusual post....in a good way, Klaus.

Insightful breakdown on Al Davis. Basically, dude needs to turn over the reigns to a younger team CEO.
                  Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                    Bruce Campbell in the Top 10... I stopped reading.
                    I spit out my beer a little bit , but had to keep reading.
                    Is Al Davis paying him off with that one?

Comment

I'm going to steal YFS's word because I thought it was well used and say that was a really insightful post, Klaus. Glad I read it.

I found it interesting that Linval Joseph is firmly in the late first-early second discussion for Brandt. Scott recently mentioned that he really impressed him on tape and was talking about maybe the third round, Mayock said he'd be surprised if he got out of the second, and Kiper mentioned recently he could sneak into the first. Seems like he's got a lot of momentum right now, guess time will tell whether people are overestimating his rise and he'll actually go in the 3rd or 4th or if he's really going to go in that late 1-early 2 range.

Comment

Yeah, on forums. Not necessarily in real life.
                        We always think a guy's stock is going way up or down, but until draft day, we don't know.

Ben Patrick was seemingly skyrocketing a few years ago.

Comment

Yeah, he's definitely done well for himself in this process, starting with the Shrine Game. But he did hold it down for over 40 games at left tackle in the Big Ten, he has upside and a good head on his shoulders, so there is a lot to like.

I'd be happy if the Niners maneuevered to get him at the end of the 1st if they can't get a tackle of value at #13/17.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            This is a really insightful post and I agree with a lot of it.

The problem in Oakland isn't necessarily Al Davis the GM. It's Al Davis trying to play owner, GM, and coach, then hiring a bunch of figurehead coaches who get undermined in less than a season because the players know that Davis is running every level of the organization and the coaches have no real authori-tay.
                            Yes, quite an insightful load of hogwash.

Personnel decisions are predicated by the scheme that one runs, unless a team has no plan or direction. Davis' decisions to continuosly draft players ill suited for the modern game is just another byproduct of his inability to "get with the times". And....his personnel decisions have been atrocious. Russell, McFadden and Heyward-Bey are going to be considered bust irregardless of where they were picked in the first round. You mentioned how important interviews are in evaluating talent, yet Davis failed to recognize Russell kindergarten work ethic. He failed to realize that McFadden's lack of lower body strength and running style were ill suited for the pro game, and i'm sure Heyward-Bay evocked memories of Cliff Branch streaking past the secondary for a deep touchdown, but naturally he failed to notice his lack of hands and toughness. Drafting a quarterback who loves to throw the deep ball and a receiver that loves to track it isn't a sin, those sorts have plays have become the new vogue in the new "hands free" NFL. The sin is not being capable of identifying NFL calibre players.

Comment

I like seeing LB Roddrick Muckelroy in the top 100. He is a under rated LB in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information